Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gun distraught

Unhappy gun distraught

Well, I don’t know what to say.
    I got into guns for the fun of it. I am not a hunter although I have thought about it from time to time. For the most part, I am an informal target shooter. I like firearms for the joy of shooting as a sport; from clays, to benchrest, and the games in between. But, recently the panic and worries of an AWB has taken all the fun out of it for me. it all really saddens me. Talking about gun rights has alienated friends and caused people to be standoffish from me now. My boss thinks I am a nut… and my democrat friends and I are really distant now. Anyway, I don’t like all this worrying but I don’t want to give up on the cause.
    Has anyone else been having a hard time from all this panic?

I just want to have fun again...
    Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.
    -Pericles

Stay the course. All things come to he who is patient. This too shall pass. Geeze, I think I just used up all my platitudes!! Hey, we all have our ups and downs. Maybe now is the time for you to hunker down and keep a low profile for awhile whilst the air clears.
    Charter member PWU (Pud Whackers Unanimous!)

Do what you think is right. If that includes certain purchases, so be it. Time will tell whether you are right or wrong.

As far as it goes, I'll be going to the gun show tomorrow and will be bringing home some primers and some lead...

Take them shooting.
    Jahwarrior said: I could've given them my ID, but I am right, and obstinate about being so. so, yes,I could've ended it by just cooperating, but that would have hypocritical, lazy, and cowardly.

Take them shooting.
    igpoobah is right! Talk is cheap,and ammo is expensive, but it speaks volumes more than words at times.
    WWW.CCDL.US Connecticut Citizens Defense League

"We The People" not "You The Government"!

I know what you are talking about. I have no more liberal friends, because I supported John McCain and am pretty conservative. They hate me because of my stance on guns, concealed carry, Evil Black Rifles (lol), etc. You cannot change to appease them, because either way, they will hate you. So, you do what you think is right and piss 'em off while doing it.
    Ever read the Second Amendment Libs? Try it sometime:
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I have tried taking them shooting, with no avail. I know my friends will get over it. its my boss that i am worried about. i dont know if i should talk to em again or just let it be.
    oh well... i feel like i got myself in a sticky situation.
    oh and by the way, i work on a campus and my boss is a teacher there (i am a student). I respect em alot, i really dont want to get on their bad side. the thing is, i keep getting pushed by em to stand up for my beliefs but at the same time skeptical about doing it because I know theirs... On top of that, my boss believes that the constitution is an "old document that is too dated" so I am stuck on this one... Got any good advice..
    Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.
    -Pericles

my boss believes that the constitution is an "old document that is too dated"
    Gunsby,
    In my opinion, you should stand up for your beliefs when they are assaulted, and if you believe in the Constitution as strongly as I do, then stand up for it. It is the law of the land, and some professor who thinks it is outdated obviously is not very smart.
    Ever read the Second Amendment Libs? Try it sometime:
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I thank you for your opinions,
    i have decided that getting worked up about it is a fools course and will indeed ask them again, including my professor, if they would like to go shooting some time. (just wish .223 was less expensive and more available than it is now). I will stand by my conviction that the Bill of Rights is supreme. But, i am also going to "cool it"

BY THE WAY, YOU STILL GOT ME ON YOUR SIDE, I WILL DO WHAT IT TAKES IN ANY GRASS ROOTS MOVEMENT TO PROTECT OUR RIGHTS.

thanks guys!
    -Pericles

It can't always be fun and games. The amount of blood that was spilled to make us able to have such fun and games is unbelievable. However, us being human, we tend to forget the past, then try to repeat it; I'm ready to suit up for whatever. MOLON LABE!
    “When you understand the nature of a thing, you know what it is capable of.”
    -Miyamoto Musashi

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions."

I have noticed the glazed eyes and closed minds of many of my friends, relatives and neighbors. (not saying all who are Dem or Lib are evil or stupid) A lot of them are just full of rhetoric and ignorance. I have learned when to argue, when to inform and when to just shut up cuz it will not change anything. The trick is to show them you have beliefs and yet they don't have to alienate you or indicate you are incapable of doing a good job at work.
    My personal belief, if someone considers the Constitution an "old document that is too dated"... they really need to do some reading. What would you do without it? Do they have something better? arg, I need some coffee..

MOLON LABE!
    Last edited by JBURGII; November 8th, 2008 at 12:16 AM. Reason: To add,

I have a lot of liberal friends and often see them at the range shooting. One thing we don't talk about while shooting is politics - we save that to talk about over a beer or at work. The thing is that it's not us vs. them. We're all the same people, making the choices we think are right.

While I voted for him the first time (then Libertarian in the '04 election), President Bush has taken away more Constitutional rights than President Clinton ever thought of. On this board we're naturally concerned about the Second Amendment, but there are a bunch more that are equally important. Funny how we lose sight of the Fifth Amendment while trying to protect the Second, isn't it?

I got stationed at Camp Pendleton, California in 1977 and am now pretty used to freaky gun laws. Don't like them much, but they aren't as draconian as almost any other country in the world, or at least three other states. They'll get better eventually. Before that I'll probably move back to the Midwest where I'll be seen as a liberal, rather than as I am here, a conservative.

People aren't bunched up at the two (obvious) political poles. Most are in the middle trying to do the right thing. That's why we change parties in power so often. The middle has the influence. If we want to change the party in power next time around, we need to convince the middle that we're good folks too - just like they are. The us vs. them attitude will only push folks across the line away from our perspective. We've got to be inclusive, not polarizing.

Take a liberal to lunch. (Edit: Take a liberal to the range and let him or her shoot your firearm.)

-Don
    Last edited by dbriannelson; November 8th, 2008 at 01:28 AM.
    Semper Fi

Sometimes it's good to pick your battles and let little things slide. My friends all know that I'm interested in guns and gun rights, and will seek me out if they have a question. One of them is the head of the local ACLU group and asked me to take him shooting and to make my case to him about 2A rights. The editor of the grad school paper has also asked me to write an editorial in the past and to take some of her writers shooting for their first time so they can write an article.

That said, as important as gun rights are, I've got another issue that trumps that and I'm beyond furious with the members of my group who voted for the candidate who has sworn to work against us on that issue. That said, if I brought up issues and wouldn't back down every time I were around my friends, I'd never have any left. Sometimes it's best to just let things lie and, like island-hopping in WWII, figure somethings will still be around later when the time's right.
    IANAL. TINLA. BYOB.
    You can't spell "B.O.H.I.C.A." without B.H.O.

Gunsby_Blazen I know how you feel ... and its not just guns its EVERYTHING. Every fiber of our existance is infected with politics these days.

I too would like to just live my life and enjoy myself without worrying about gun laws, or property rights, or how the state indoctrinates our children, or the potential of laws restricting our freedom of speech or what ingredients we're allowed to cook with, or environmental nonsense laws that just cost us money and freedom.

I wish there was a way to make liberals go away ... or turn back our government to the point where liberal idiots can keep their liberal idiot ideas without effecting me.

But alas, that's not the world we live in. Like ole Thomas Jefferson said; The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
    America is divided between people who hate risk more than they love freedom and people who hate hippies more than they love freedom.

Imagine a world with no guns!

I don't suggest you do anything based on the contents of this site, but it may give you some comfort.

http://noindoctrination.org/

If your friends cannot respect your differences of opinion, then they are not your friends. The person they want you to be is a fellow binary in their totalitarian thought group. I'm not calling them evil, I'm just saying that current political discourse seems to mean alienating all who think differently than you as "enemies." It's a very dangerous phenomenon used by "revolutionaries" to coerce free thinkers into submission.

Harsh, yes, but this is something that I, too, have experienced and seen on a wide scale due to the election. It has happened in the last two presidential elections.

It makes one heave a heavy sigh. But don't be worried. The election is over. When the inauguration is finished, things will calm down.

Be patient, chief. Don't return aggressive intellectual fascism. Be the adult, cool off, discuss but don't fight, take "the high road."

As for your professor... Argue intelligently. If he is blinded by his ideology, then recognize that when a wise man argues with a fool there are two fools arguing.

And this is why I don't talk politics with friends and colleagues.......

Heck, my family thinks that I'm nuts, and most of the people I work with have sampled the liberal kool-aid to the extent that 2nd ammendment rights mean nothing to them. They don't understand how much this has to do with freedom.
    I'm so bad I run with scissors in both hands.

My name is a thread-killing word.

I work at a University these days.
    Do I need to say more?

Oddly enough I've made no big deal out of my passion for target shooting and firearms but I've made no secret of it....and every now and then I get someone saying "can you teach me".

With co-workers it's "sure, no problem"
    With students I am EXTREMELY cautious and make sure that they are
    1) 21 or older and
    2) in a group (There's no way in hell I'm taking a lone, college girl out to a shooting range by myself! Just don't need to go there no way, no how!).
    3) Very clear in understanding that this is NOT a University sponsored event.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

I too often shoot at my liberal frien...I mean, use them for targ...never mind....

My boss thinks I am a nut… and my democrat friends and I are really distant now.
    Democrat friends??? What's that? (Only half joking...sort of...in a serious kinda way.)
    NRA Patron Member - Rides: '06 FLHTP Shoots: Colt Ser 70/Colt 6520 Carries: Colt Defender Drinks: Buffalo Trace Status: Still married to my ex-girlfriend

I work in a "progressive minded" institution....
    I also have friends who dont like guns on both sides of the ideological spectrum. what is weird, i have a couple liberal friends who like guns more (i didnt say embrace) than conservative friends. although my conservative friend who doesnt like guns is a fascist. weird.....
    some people's logic just are not correct, what can i say??
    -Pericles

Hey, I'm a liberal & most of my conservative christian republican co-workers have stated flat out that they are for a new AWB...

Figure that out.

well, Gunsby. . .

I read your signature line and I think you'll be just fine. Those are good words to live by especially here in the country that epitomizes freedom for so many around the world. It is relatively easy to mistake acquaintances for friends especially in an academic setting so perhaps you should ask yourself if a friend would act in the manner you describe. I think you run a bit deeper than most of the folks you encounter and the herd mentality is what you are finding troublesome. It seems to me that a thoughtful person might encounter you and find reason to examine his own pre-conceived notions rather than go directly to the confrontational and condescending behavior you have experienced. Keep the faith brother and remember-logic has very lttle to do with any discussion regarding the second amendment and all its ramifications.
    'Qui non intelligit aut discat aut taceat'

Hey, I'm a liberal & most of my conservative christian republican co-workers have stated flat out that they are for a new AWB...

Figure that out.
    Very simple.They're ignorant ,like the vast majority of American's, that the 1994 to 2004 AWB "BAN" was all cosmetic,did not take hardly any EBR's off the street,that these evil weapons do not fire in full auto but one pull,one bullet,that a unbanned Ruger Mini-14 or 30 or Remington 7400 Auto 30.06 can do as much or so much more damage and on and on til we are nauseous.
    That the crime rate since the expiration of the so called ban in '04 has dropped ,not risen and more people are dying from cutting themselves shaving every year than from these "deadly" weapons.
    Tell your silly GOP friends that and see if they can understand.
    This was the most clever anti-gun campaign the Brady's and cohert's ever pulled off.Right out of "The Manchurian Candidate" playbook.
    And still the light hasn't dawned on so many sensible people with this travesty.
    The key again:The average American equates a semi-auto civilian AR-15 or AK-47 with a full auto military battle weapon.
    You gotta give the devil their due.They are devilishly clever.