Thread: Recent CHL Renewals in Texas

Recent CHL Renewals in Texas

Anybody recently renewed their CHL in Texas?

I realize the law states renewals will be processed within 45 days of the
    receipt of the renewal packet by the Department of Public Safety, but was curious as to the actual time involved recently.

I also see the appearance of the new CHL in Texas has been changed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've been waiting three and a half months for my 4th renewal.

This is BS but it seems that the DPS can do what in the hell ever they want. They just give a few excuses and continue to drag their feet.

I have no idea how long it's taking to get back a new license.

Thgey have been overwelmed by the amount of applications being recieved. The background checks are performed by a few people and they will not increase the personel!! I am not making excusses, just letting the facts be known.

If you are waiting for renewal, and your permit expires you can not CCW! Does this means that if, God forbid, something happens, can the DPS be held accountable in any way?

Oneshooter
    Livin in Texas

SILLY ME!!! Of course they can't be!!!! They are the GOVERMENT!!!!!!!!!
    'Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem' --
    - Ronald Reagan-

SILLY ME!!! Of course they can't be!!!! They are the GOVERMENT!!!!!!!!!
    Because of their not getting the CHL back in "a timely manner" I think the expired CHL should still be good until the new one is received.

Good luck getting that passed.

In Minnesota, failure to deny = approve. They have 30 days. No notice that you've been denied? You have a permit (by default).
    Gimme back my bullets!

My 4th renewal took exactly 45 days from the time DPS signed for the packet 'til I had my license in hand. I know of others whose renewal took close to 120 days. I've been told that DPS is now using Hurricane Ike as an excuse for their foot dragging. TSRA would like to know about any and all horror stories of delays. Charlie Cotton is compiling the info and will work with Rep Joe Driver to give DPS an "attitude adjustment."

New application signed for on 9/17/08. Wife received request for new fingerprint cards 3 weeks ago, I received request for new fingerprint cards 2 weeks ago.

Still waiting on permission card from TX. Meanwhile, we're still carrying using our AZ permits.

No idea why we had to submit new fingerprint cards, DPS didn't include a reason with the new cards. Best we can figure is the instructor had us fill in the info on the cards indicating the prints were taken at one location, the local LEO who took the prints made a pen change (initialed by both parties) to the location.

Think I'll send TSRA a note. Thanks for the heads-up on their interest in these matters.

I received request for new fingerprint cards 2 weeks ago.
    That's not unusual. I've never had to redue the print card but I know several people that have, some twice.

I have no idea how long it's taking to get back a new license
    Mine took over 120 days.
    JL
    Protect your 2nd Amendment rights and Join the NRA today! For a discounted membership click here

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you're reading this in English, thank a veteran.

My apologies if this is off-topic, but is it possible to get a "backup permit" with a state that has a reciprocity agreement with Texas and use that while your Texas CHL is being renewed? What about before you get a Texas CHL, can you get another state's permit with a shorter turnaround time to use until you get the CHL?

Many people do just that.
    JL
    Protect your 2nd Amendment rights and Join the NRA today! For a discounted membership click here

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you're reading this in English, thank a veteran.

I can answer my own question now

I received my renewed license in the mail today (November 24).

Texas Department of Public Safety received my renewal packet on September 24.

Simple math for a change, took 60 days.

Heck, I mailed my renewal packet three weeks ago today and they haven't even processed it as "Received" yet.

*EDIT TO ADD* Looks like they finally got to it. Before lunch the status seemed perpetually stuck at "Mailed Application". As of 2:30 this afternoon the status changed to "Processing Application". About time. I guess I should be glad they finally got to it.

Brad
    "Exhilaro meus diem." - Clintus Eastwoodicus

At least you got it, DallasCop. My friend down in Corpus is one of the mandatory 1% DPS kicks back on prints, No, his weren't smudged or hard to read. And this is his 4th application/3rd renewal. So by the time he gets his CHL it will be way over 60 days.

Oh, and contact Jim Dark, executive director on TSRA or Charlie Cotton about the 60 day to delivery. Alice thinks all is just hunky-dory with DPS but Jum and Charlie know better and are working with Rep Driver on a possible fix next year.

Note to others: Texas legislature only meets in odd years which may explain some of their odd actions.

This is the reason I got my non-res Penn lic. $26.00 for 5 years was cheap insurance.

walksbyhimself said:

My apologies if this is off-topic, but is it possible to get a "backup permit" with a state that has a reciprocity agreement with Texas and use that while your Texas CHL is being renewed? What about before you get a Texas CHL, can you get another state's permit with a shorter turnaround time to use until you get the CHL?
    That used to be the case here in Colorado, which is why I was dead-set against the new Colorado law about not recognizing out-of-state permits if you were not a resident of that State.

I had planned on getting a nonresident Utah permit just in case of (A) the kind of delays you folks are talking about, and (B), in case I lost my wallet I could use my Utah license as a backup.

But they changed the law here in Colorado "for the health, benefit and welfare" of the people of Colorado to block non-resident out of state licenses a year or so ago, so my plan was foiled.

I railed and ranted about that change, but not too many, or at least not enough, permittees were too concerned "because it doesn't affect me."

As I see it, the change was not for the health, benefit and welfare of the people of Colorado, but was a symptom of the new anti-gun agendas of the new anti-gun legislature and the new anti-gun Governor.

It was just a test nibble at our gun rights, to my mind.

I expect a lot more junk from our new Colorado legislature in the next few sessions --a sub-threshold nibbling at our rights --since we just went from a red state to a blue state.

Don't let stuff like that happen in Texas!

I received my renewed license in the mail today (November 24).

Texas Department of Public Safety received my renewal packet on September 24.

Simple math for a change, took 60 days.
    I'm at 114 days and counting, waiting on my 4th renewal.

Last week after talking to DPS a couple times they finally said I didn't sign one form. So they were sending me another one to sign.
    It took them over 100 days before they saw a form wasn't signed??
    That's BS.

Then they told me they sent the new form to me on the 10th. More BS. I didn't get it until the 19th. It doesn't take nine days for a letter to get from Austin to Ft Worth.

And I HAD signed and dated that original form. I remember signing it. My signature is so poor it's normally unreadable, so I remember taking pains to make the signature readable.

They either lost the paper or are just building up a case for taking so long doing their jobs.

The local gun store owner said the DPS tried to pull that unsigned form crap on a friend but he had made copies of the originals before sending them to DPS. He faxed a copy to them and they "found" the original.

Somebody in DPS should be looking for a job.
    I can't imagine ever doing my job so poorly and not being fired.

M2, that's one of the reasons I scan all my documents into the computer. If need be, I can either e-mail it or, worse comes to worse, send it by snail mail.

Yes, you can get a PA permit by mail for $26 that is a backup for DPS foot dragging. That's what I did, turned out I got my renewal in time.

I believe TSRA web site has a link to the PA forms you can download and fill out.

--wally.
    Your commitment to Freedom and Liberty is measured by your tolerance for others doing things you disapprove.
    NRA Patron Member since Jan 20, 2009.

Yes, you can get a PA permit by mail for $26 that is a backup for DPS foot dragging. That's what I did, turned out I got my renewal in time.
    Thanks.
    I just printed out the application and will get it in the mail ASAP.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Initial CHL (not renewal) received in 33 days following receipt by DPS in Austin. Did online apln, double & triple checked everything before sending. Had a great instructor who handled photos and prints as part of mandatory class. Must be a fluke.

Total of 105 days.

Plastic came about 2 weeks after the expiration date (I had done the non-res. PA license, so was still legal).

Don't put too much trust in the website's tracking feature, either.

It spooked me by reporting (for several days) that I had no license and no application on file. Then, after I received the actual plastic, reported accurately.

Will
    “The police of a state should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight, is the foundation of civil freedom.” From Beyond This Horizon by R. A. Heinlein (Copyright 1942)

Texas CHL forum to discuss processing times

There is information about TX DPS processing times at http://www.texaschlforum.com/ under Board index ‹ General ‹ General Texas CHL Discussion < DPS Processing Time

Lots of people to comisserate with and to get an idea if your processing time is out of the average range.

BlankCheck - Who was your Instructor

BlankCheck - Who was your Instructor? Where did you take the class?
    thanks,

Plastic came about 2 weeks after the expiration date (I had done the non-res. PA license, so was still legal).
    I just mailed mine off ysterday.
    How long did it take to get it and what is the PA license, plastic card, paper, etc?