Thread: Need help with letter to Mr. "O"

Question Need help with letter to Mr. "O"

This is what I want to send but I would like to have some one else look at it and tell me if there is some thing else that I need to ask and or say.
    Thanks
    John

Mr. Barack Obama

I still don’t know how you got in the office, but now you are there what are you going to do? There are many things that need to be done, where are you going to start? Now I do know Mr. Obama will not be reading this but one of his staff may, or may not. I have not heard how he is going to fix and change the things that need to be done? I did hear a lot of “I am going to push for change” and very little on how, so what I would like to know is:
    1. Do you fully support the Supreme Court's recent decision that the Second Amendment of the Constitution affirms an individual right to weapon ownership?
    2. Will your administration make any moves to outlaw or enact mechanisms to restrict the ownership (such as onerous regulations or prohibitively high taxation) by law abiding citizens of weapons not currently already covered by the National Firearms Act?
    3. What is your definition of the word “Assault Weapons”? “Assault weapon” is an invented term. In the firearm lexicon, there is no such thing as an “assault weapon”. The closest relative is the “assault rifle”, which is a machine gun or “select fire” rifle that fires rifle cartridges. In most cases, “assault weapons” are functionally identical to hunting rifles, though cosmetically similar to military guns.
    4. The performance of the stock market since your election reflects the lack of confidence in you and your proposals. How is that going to change after you are in the office?
    5. I did hear one thing and I hope it is wrong, your plan to require community service for students. Doesn't this violate the 13th amendment? How can this be done?
    6. Health care is a big problem in the V.A. things never gets done. I have been fighting to get my knee fixed (for close to 20 years) but nothing has worked and they will not do what they need to do. How are you going to fix the V.A. and you want to put everyone else in the U.S. in the same boat as the vets are in?
    7. What is your position on church and state? On 1 hand y’all up there in D.C. say no we cannot mix the 2 BUT on the other hand it happens a lot when it suit you. In some states, liquor sales are prohibited on Sunday by a blue law, (that is mixing the 2) but y’all took religion out of school, (that is not mixing them) what is it going to be together or not? MAKE UP Y’ALLS MIND FOR ONCE. Also if there is a separation between the government and religion, what about all of the Federal Cemeteries and all of the religious symbols on the head stones?

In closing you said you are going to have a open government, now it is your opportunity to prove it to me and a lot of other voters. I will be posting this letter on line in a lot of places and the reply also. One of the areas that may be of interest to you is http://www.gunfacts.info/.
    Purpose of the above web site is:
    The goal of Gun Facts is to provide a quick reference guide for civil libertarians on gun control issues. Use Gun Facts when composing arguments for debates, letters to editors, email to your representatives, and statements to the media.
    The issue Gun Facts addresses is the lack of intellectual honesty by gun control advocates. Over many decades they have presented information to the media and the public that is at best inaccurate, and at worst fraudulent. Gun Facts is dedicated to debunking gun control myths and providing citable evidence.
    Common gun control myths are listed in the pages that follow. For each myth, one or more facts are presented to refute the gun control claim, and the source of the information is fully cited.

Is this letter ok as is or need some help?
    John

Do you think that he would read beyond your first condescending sentence?

I didn't.
    Lew Wallace was an optimist.

I want my country back!

This is what I emailed. I am no supporter of Obama, but he was elected and I will respect him until he proves himself not respectable. Please don't send hate full or other letters that make us look bad.

I plan to snail mail this along with friends and neighbours, so if you can make it better repost the changes.

I wanted to voice my concern about your support of an assault weapons ban. I believe these laws to be unneeded, unfair, unconstitutional, and will only cause great opposition to you and your party.

My reasoning is too in depth to be completely covered here, but I would like voice a few concerns. One is that outlawing weapons due to cosmetic and some functional similarities to military weapons may sound good at the surface. It isn't called for or needed. They are used in crimes, according to FBI data, the least. The real concern is that using any argument that they are "military like" opens the debate to what that is and as almost any firearm has military use, or at least history, right down to the rifle I use to hunt deer with. If military like scrutiny is used it might very well be a sniper rifle. Also note the military chooses firearm under much the same criteria as citizens. Those criteria are reliable, accurate, ergonomic, and ease of use.

My biggest constitutional concern for my rights, is considering more than 10 rounds to be an assault weapon. I believe that this would not hold up to scrutiny of the courts. According to the SCOTUS decision I have a right to self defence even with the most commonly used guns for murder, the handgun. While you may see a very slight drop in homicide limiting guns to 10 rounds, statistics show it would be a minuscule drop. But at a cost of limiting my defence to 10 shots, and setting a precedence to limit it to any number deemed appropriate in the future. If 10 why not a single one?

Please consider my views in your future policy decisions and understand I feel very strongly about this matter. Please prove the NRA wrong and help unite the country to deal with our real problems.

Thank you very much,
    Cory

Do you think that he would read beyond your first condescending sentence?
    In a country of some 300 Million, why would you think he'd read it at all?

I'd address your letter to your congresscritters, not to the president, and I'd make one point per letter, then write another letter after the first point was hashed out.

Thumbs up

It is good to write to your representatives.

A standard letter sent by many will get much more attention and have more influence than a random letter.

My Question is...

Is there a standardized letter/e-mail sporting our rights that can be sent preemptively to all representatives.

If one does not exist maybe we can create one that includes some supporting quotes and facts from our history.
    (see thread Words of Wisdom from our Founding Fathers http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=401767 )

Written letters are best. I've heard that pols use a thumbrule that every written letter is about 50 voters who agree but didn't get around to writing.

I've started doing the same thing you are. Obama isn't going to read this. No one in Congress you send it to will read it either. But their staffers will, and if a consistent number of people write saying "NO!" to an AWB or some other nonsense, they may figure it's not worth angering so many people and not do it right now. Unfortunately we can't kill this like we could a vampire, it takes continual attention to keep the libs and the pols from coming back like kudzu and taking our rights away.

I wrote a similar letter, please lift anything from it that you think is good.
    http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=401715

If you write a letter,
    BE POLITE! Don't sound threatening.
    ASK FOR A RESPONSE. The NRA-ILA (if you're an NRA member) also would like you to send them the response so they can compile voting and stance records on each pol.

Do you two gentlemen know how many letters the president gets per day? I'd be surprised if 1 in 1000 make it to his desk.

When I was a kid I wrote I letter to president Clinton. The White House sent me a standard computer generated reply with a facsimile of his signature as well as 2 baseball cards of Bill and Hillary Clinton with their "stats" on the back. lol.

On the other hand, I sent a letter to Sen. Bob Dole about the same time and he sent me an entirely handwritten reply on Watergate Hotel stationary. (He lives there, or did at the time.)

So some people actually do have a conscience in Washington...Barack Obama ain't one of them and you're wasting your time.

For the record, I had to do 100 hours of documented community service to graduate from public high school. I'm pretty sure that that isn't going against the 13th amendment's ban on slavery and involuntary servitude. See http://www.barackobama.com/issues/service/ for more details. He's talking about giving students (or their folks, who may be footing the bill) $40/hour in tax breaks for voluntary community service.

In a letter like this, you should only bring up valid questions, and ones that you feel you couldn't find the answers to elsewhere.

Josh

Having had to write several letters to members of Congress for my major (Political Science), I can tell you that yours will be at the bottom of the recycling bin by the time they reach the comma in the first line. Actually, even I would throw your letter away after the first line, perhaps only reading on to see just how audacious it became.

Second, its riddled with grammatical and syntactical errors. This, combined with the use of terms such as "ya'll," lends no credibility to the perceived level of education of gun owners.

Third, your letter is clouded with too many issues, some of which are probably less applicable to the Presidency, but more so to your representative in Congress.

Finally, you pose the question "now [that] you are there, what are you going to do?" If you look at some of the media sources, you can find some the things he already plans to issue executive orders on, such as stem cell research.

I'd be happy to help you rewrite your letter today after I get out of class, just let me know.

jrp-

He is not Mr. Obama. He is Mr. President. And if you don't want to call him Mr. President, at least call him Sir. Jeez. My neighbor could be Mr. So-and-so. If I'm addressing the president of the United States (and yes, president elect counts), then I call him Mr. President. It's a sign of respect. Even if you don't respect him, treat him with respect and you will have more of an open ear.
    Member:
    NRA
    JPFO

John,

I definitely understand where you're coming from with this letter, but it all depends on what your goals are with it. If you want to write it to get some things off your chest knowing it'll never cross the President Elect's desk, then it is fine in it's current form. But if you want someone to actually read it and take your concerns to heart, whether it be a staffer (most likely) or Obama himself, then it needs to be completely rewritten, needs to be more respectful (doesn't matter if you like the guy or not), and needs to stick with just one major point - simple, short and to the point.
    But I agree with what others have said, writing to your representative and your senator can be more effective. You still need to be more respectful and to the point, because their mail will be sifted through too.

As far as your points, I was required to do community service for high school - personally I don't see it as a bad thing to have kids go out and serve their community. As far as the stock market going down is concerned, it likely would have tanked further had mccain / palin been elected so I'm not sure if that's a valid way to begin that argument. There was far more confidence nationwide in Obama's economic prowess than McCain's - not saying you shouldn't ask the question, maybe just word it differently.

Hello everyone, I guess I should have introduced myself since I'm new. I've gotten a lot of good advise from all of you, just never signed up till now. I suddenly felt the need to become more active in the community.

I agree we need a standard letter, that's why I posted my draft in hopes I could contribute to the cause. We probably need a website to house it. If we get something I plan to pass it around to pro-gun friends and neighbours and post it in the local gun shops.

Writing a Pro-gun letter to Obama now will probably get you a visit from the Secret Service faster than sending one using cut-out newspaper words and letters.

Writing a Pro-gun letter to Obama now will probably get you a visit from the Secret Service faster than sending one using cut-out newspaper words and letters.
    I doubt that, but if it is true then we will know where we stand. I already sent one is everyone going to leave me hanging out here by myself?

No. I have a midterm today and presentation tomorrow, so i am really busy at the moment. but by the end of the week I hope ot have letters mailed to Obama, and my congressmen and senators.

When mailing to Obama, do we still mail it to Illinois, or can we already start sending his mail to the White House? Remember, he does not take up residence there for over 2 months.
    Member:
    NRA
    JPFO

Ben -- I would not mail it to the White House. Obama is not the president. In fact, he is not even president-elect yet, despite what the media says. (And no I'm not referring to the controversy over whether he is even a US citizen, not to mention natural born citizen.)

The electors (which were chosen on Nov. 4th) will cast votes for president on Dec. 15th. Their sealed votes will be opened and counted before a joint session of congress on Dec. 6th. At that point, there will be a president-elect. Not before!

And I am holding out some small hope that the controversy (actually lawsuit) I alluded to above could even prevent him from becoming the president-elect. (If he is constitutionally ineligible, he can't be president regardless of how many votes he has.)

Until then you should address your mail to Sen. Barack Obama at his Congressional office (unless he has already resigned...haven't followed it that closely and frankly don't care.) Anyway I second what Skwab said, do whatever makes you feel better but don't hold out hope you're going to change Obama's politics.

This is the rewrite I did not use president-elect due to what Patrick Henry said:

"Ben -- I would not mail it to the White House. Obama is not the president. In fact, he is not even president-elect yet, despite what the media says. (And no I'm not referring to the controversy over whether he is even a US citizen, not to mention natural born citizen.)

The electors (which were chosen on Nov. 4th) will cast votes for president on Dec. 15th. Their sealed votes will be opened and counted before a joint session of congress on Dec. 6th. At that point, there will be a president-elect. Not before!"

Sen. Barack Obama
    There are many things that need to be done, where are you going to start? Now I do know Sen. Obama will not be reading this but one of his staff may, or may not. I would like to know his real opinion on the Second Amendment of the Constitution.
    1. Do you fully support the Supreme Court's recent decision that the Second Amendment of the Constitution affirms an individual right to weapon ownership?
    2. Will your administration make any moves to outlaw or enact mechanisms to restrict the ownership (such as onerous regulations or prohibitively high taxation) by law abiding citizens of weapons not currently already covered by the National Firearms Act?
    3. What is your definition of the word “Assault Weapons”? “Assault weapon” is an invented term. In the firearm lexicon, there is no such thing as an “assault weapon”. The closest relative is the “assault rifle”, which is a machine gun or “select fire” rifle that fires rifle cartridges. In most cases, “assault weapons” are functionally identical to hunting rifles, though cosmetically similar to military guns.
    One of the areas that may be of interest to you is

http://www.gunfacts.info/.
    Purpose of the above web site is:
    The goal of Gun Facts is to provide a quick reference guide for civil libertarians on gun control issues. Use Gun Facts when composing arguments for debates, letters to editors, email to your representatives, and statements to the media.
    The issue Gun Facts addresses is the lack of intellectual honesty by gun control advocates. Over many decades they have presented information to the media and the public that is at best inaccurate, and at worst fraudulent. Gun Facts is dedicated to debunking gun control myths and providing citable evidence.

In closing you said you are going to have a open government, now it is your opportunity to prove it to me and a lot of other voters. I will be posting this letter on line in a lot of places and the reply also.

The electors (which were chosen on Nov. 4th) will cast votes for president on Dec. 15th. Their sealed votes will be opened and counted before a joint session of congress on Dec. 6th. At that point, there will be a president-elect. Not before!"
    Sorry I meant Jan. 6th.

Anyway, I mention it because of the disgusting way in which the controlled media has anointed Obama as savior and completely ignores the role of the Electoral College, already referring to him as "president-elect" even though he is not. But why would they care about the constitution now...they already successfully covered up his birthplace and history while he was running.

Anyway good luck with the letters.