Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting the Glock 901 to fully automatic

"How to Convert a Glock 901 to FA" and other ignorance of guns in movies

Seen in The Believer, on the computer screen as the protagonist of the movie is browsing on a Nazi web site:

"CONVERTING THE GLOCK 901 TO FULLY AUTOMATIC IS RELATIVELY SIMPLE. FIRST, REMOVE THE FIRING PIN..."

This has to be one of the stupidest gun-related gaffes I've ever seen in a movie, and it's particularly puzzling since later on in the movie, characters practice shooting using an HK91 and an M1A - two firearms rarely ever seen in films, which makes me suspect that someone involved in this movie's production must have known something about guns. So how did nobody catch the ridiculous "Glock 901" thing?

What are some other really absurd gun related things you've seen in movies? (The "Glock 7" thing in Die Hard doesn't count...it's already been brought up a million times.)
    Last edited by Golden Hound; November 10th, 2008 at 04:25 AM.
    ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ ПOНК РОК ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Glock 901? Non existent for the first matter. Second, what would you do with the firing pin once it is removed? (Rhetorical question)

The weapons propmaster probably wasn't consulted on this type of scene.

I mean, I suppose a Glock could be converted to full-auto, but I can't imagine there'd be much point to it unless you felt like teaching the ceiling a lesson.

Although if "remove the firing pin" is the first step, I'm curious to know the work-around that lets them skip removing the slide. In any case, Step One is always "make sure the gun is unloaded," only arguably preceded by Step Zero: "Make sure you are not high or drunk."
    IANAL. TINLA. BYOB.
    You can't spell "B.O.H.I.C.A." without B.H.O.

I would guess they did it for liability reasons. By making up a gun, they don't have to worry about being sued when somebody decides there must be a way to do it 'cause it was in the movie, and ends up blowing off his hand.

Administrator   
    Movies are works of fiction, people (yes, even the ones based on "true stories").
    "Tactical" is a mindset, not an equipment list.

Home | Forum | Blog | ❏ PicPaste | ImgDump |☎ Nalioth

That's not an excuse. Any work of fiction that takes place in the "real world" should strive to get all the real-life details right. This is what separates good movies from great movies.

Converting a Glock isn't the odd part. The non-existent Glock 901 is the strange thing. Someone's dyslexic and meant a Glock 19 perhaps?
    "Training errors are recorded on paper. Tactical errors are etched in stone." -Erwin Rommel
    Explanations exist: they have existed for all times, for there is always an easy solution to every problem — neat, plausible and wrong. - H.L. Mencken

{A suggestion about wording went here. Thank you. }
    Last edited by Brian Dale; November 10th, 2008 at 05:26 AM.

What are some other really absurd gun related things you've seen in movies?
    Scene in the movie "Under Siege 2 : Dark Territory"
    Steven Seagal showing Morris Chestnut a Glock 21.
    "This is a Glock 21. First thing you want to do is take it off safety."
    While still holding the Glock 21, Steven Seagal makes a hand motion as if disengaging a thumb safety on a 1911.
    "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Also the constant "CHHHH-CHHHH!!!!!" sounds that arise every time a group of guys with guns bursts into the room, despite the fact that none of them are working the action (and even if they were, it wouldn't sound like that in most cases.)

Actually, a lot of the Nazi/White Supremacist websites DO have rather offensive (to us) gun content to go with the racial content.

Periodically someone will throw in my face that (insert hate group here) cites me as a writer that should be read.

It's a free country and I'm not responsible for people's reading habits. And I suspect quite a few elements of my books would grossly offend certain extremists...of any stripe.
    http://SharpPointyThings.com
    http://www.MichaelZWilliamson.com

FREEHOLD, Jan 04 from Baen Books
    THE WEAPON, Aug 05 from Baen Books
    CONFIRMED KILL, Sep 05 from HarperCollins
    BETTER TO BEG FORGIVENESS..., Winter 07 from Baen Books

~~~

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick.

Hey, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

It's pointless to be upset that Neo-Nazis might read what you write. It's not like the writing is somehow tainted because Nazis happen to agree with it. The Nazis probably also walk their dogs...does that mean I should stop walking my dog?

This should not surprise you at all. Most of the people who write this crap for TV (and movies) are shall we say, interested in making shows about evil Nazis.

Take Tom Clancy's The Sum of All Fears. In the original book the enemy were, if I'm not mistaken, evil Arab terrorists. Well normally that would please Hollywood but for unknown reasons when they made the movie, they changed it to evil White supremacists.

As far as removing the firing pin without first removing the slide....actually that is quite possible...at least for Nazis. Nazis are imbued with magic powers (sort of like "the force" in Star Wars) and are capable of anything. In fact, if they all concentrated at once and had Yoda helping them, they could probably make the moon crash into Africa, wiping out all the Blacks. (Or even worse...Israel.)

And if you still don't believe me that Nazis are magic, you need to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I hope that clarifies things.
    Last edited by Patrick Henry; November 10th, 2008 at 07:51 AM. Reason: grammar

What are some other really absurd gun related things you've seen in movies?
    Babylon 5, episode "Grey 17 is Missing". Security Chief Garibaldi is stuck in some odd junky corner of the station without his sidearm, and needs to shoot Something Awful.

He happens to have, in his pocket, a cylinder's worth of (presumably 200 year old) .38 Special. Drops the handful of .38s into a handy pipe, shoves the butt end of the pipe against something hot, and voila!, instant machine gun. Something Awful is dispatched, and the plot moves on.

I actually think this was absurd on purpose, just so if some stupid kid tried it at home, nothing would or could happen.
    Last edited by lee n. field; November 11th, 2008 at 11:00 PM.
    "Whom have I in heaven but you
    And beside you I desire nothing on earth." --PS 73

Do you not understand? They are demonizing all firearms that don't make much smoke.

Including a "generic" Glock.

Including the beloved M1.

I want to convert my derringer to full auto...if I watch the right movie maybe I'll find out how!
    When in doubt, Empty the magazine!

You can see the Glock 18, in all it's full auto splendor, in Terminator 3 and Matrix Reloaded...probably a few other movies too. I don't have time to research anything at the moment, but is there even such thing as a Glock 901?
    “When you understand the nature of a thing, you know what it is capable of.”
    -Miyamoto Musashi

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions."

Note - Converting the X-ray invisible Glock 7 to full-auto is double plus extra eeeeeevil.

Let it all be done!

On one episode of "Lost" a dude has a Glock and moves his thumb across the rear of the gun where a hammer would be, and a cocking-the-hammer sound is heard.

Lovely

I think it's that sounds impact the viewer to reinforce something or create tension or whatever, so they add them in to reinforce the visual. "In case you didn't see the gun, it'll make a noise too".

"CONVERTING THE GLOCK 901 TO FULLY AUTOMATIC IS RELATIVELY SIMPLE. FIRST, REMOVE THE FIRING PIN..."
    I guess it's the 24th century and they just beam it out.

On one episode of "Lost" a dude has a Glock and moves his thumb across the rear of the gun where a hammer would be, and a cocking-the-hammer sound is heard.
    That's in more than one Lost episode. I guess no one tells the Foley artists what sounds to make and they just guess. You point a gun at someone, you cock it, right? Insert cocking sound.
    It's 2 AM....do you know where your rights are?

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -- Douglas Adams

megaboraphobia n. The fear of large calibers

Talking

I just removed the firing pin from a glock without removing the slide...
    It was easy, try it...
    p

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 72
    In the final scene of Bourne Ultimatum where Bourne has that old guy at gun point, he also cocks the Glock. Not only that, in one shot it turns into a SIG, then back to a Glock.

Actually if you pay attention in virtually every modern film or TV series ever made merely picking up a gun produces a cocking sound!

People Just don’t understand

I’ve been working on the plasma pulse rifle for several months.
    This is the 16 watt model and a 30 watt model is in the works.
    I am using as many “off the shelf” parts as possible to allow
    Home builders to easily construct a clone.

Test firing was completed in the small pasture to the east of my house.
    Luckily therer was a garden hose close by to help extinguish the fire.

Off to the range. This is the back side of the range after the first shot.
    Uhhh I can’t go back, I think the exact words never again. My ears were still ringing slightly

There was some slight collateral damage from the original test firing at the range.
    There was some minor damage to the businesses across the street.
    There was some complaints about the damage being major, but I tried to convince them it was merely an uninformed subjective call. I don’t know if I changed their minds or not.
    My ears were still ringing slightly.
    I’ve been asked not to return to town. I think there was a “never” attached to that request.
    also. They were still mumbling as far as I could tell.

There was an article in the local paper, something about local chickens lose their feathers.
    They must finally be repairing some of the streets in town, I can smell hot tar.
    I might shelve the 30 watt unit for now.
    The smoke from town still kinda stings my nose.

Someone did a great parody a while back wherein the two "fighters" had a "cocking sound" duel (every scene shift was full of them cocking and re-cocking their guns). Can't find the video but it was pretty funny.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

Quote Originally Posted by gunnysmth
    There was some slight collateral damage from the original test firing at the range.
    Then Micheal Moore walked by with Diane Feinstein and Micheal Bloomberg and expressed shock and dismay at the destruction you had caused....whereupon you informed them it was OK since you are a police officer and thus can be trusted to carry a gun , to which they replied, "Whewww OK. We thought you might be some dangerous nut or something."

In case you didn't catch it that story is just a satire; it's totally unrealistic....

Micheal Moore would never walk anywhere when he could drive.