Thread: Words of Wisdom from our Founding Fathers

Words of Wisdom from our Founding Fathers

The Constitution preserves "the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation. . . (where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." -- The Federalist, No. 46
    - James Madison
    Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." (Address to 1st session of Congress)

-George Washington

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety [In 1755 (Pennsylvania Assembly: Reply to the Governor, Tue, Nov 11, 1755)]

-Ben Franklin

I figured that some of these quotes could help in our argument against an AWB. I could be wrong because while these words are wise, they are very radical for today's progressive society. anyway... some food for thought...
    Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.
    -Pericles

Let's not forget Abraham Lincoln in his first inaugural address:

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it.
    Not really a founding father - so to speak, but a very important president none-the-less.

no no, thats good, you got the spirit!
    It would be good for others to post quotes as well....
    I would like to hear what you got
    Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.
    -Pericles

If the time-frame doesn't really matter, I really like the quote below by Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas (10/16/1898 01/19/1980) He served the court for nearly 37 years.

He was often a little too liberal, for my tastes, but he sometimes had something to say that I really believe.

As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
    Justice William O. Douglas

He also said:
    The Constitution is not neutral. It was designed to take the government off the backs of the people ...
    Justice William O. Douglas

Jefferson understood

"None but an armed nation can dispense with a standing army. To keep ours armed and disciplined is therefore at all times important, but especially so at a moment when rights the most essential to our welfare have been violated." --Thomas Jefferson to -----, 1803. ME 10:365
    The idea is quite unfounded that on entering into society we give up any natural right." --Thomas Jefferson to Francis Gilmer, 1816. ME 15:24
    "[Oppose] with manly firmness [any] invasions on the rights of the people." --Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution, 1776. (*) Papers 1:338
    Jefferson even understood the dangers of Political Correctness!

"It is inconsistent with the spirit of our laws and Constitution to force tender consciences." --Thomas Jefferson: Proclamation Concerning Paroles, 1781. FE 2:430, Papers 4:404
    Not all problems can be solved by shooting the heck out of them..... Well most can, and if not then high explosives can really be your friend!

If you can't do something smart ........ do something right!

There are only 2 people in this world I trust and you ain't one of'em!