Thread: What gun to buy for my son's 16th birthday

What gun to buy for my son's 16th birthday

I am trying to decide what gun to buy to give to my son on his 16th birthday. I would appreciate any assistance in this matter.

...oh yeah he's still in the womb now.
    -Learn2Shoot
    Join or renew your NRA membership for $25 at www.discovershooting.net

If we fail to elect pro-gun politicians to Congress and fire those who are anti-gun, it won't matter who the President is.
    If we succeed at electing pro-gun politicians to Congress and fire those who are anti-gun, it won't matter who the President is.
    http://www.gunvoter.com

why miss out on several years of shooting with him? give him his 1st gun on say his 8th,or maybe 10th birthday..one that is sized for HIM,not an adult.
    then of course,buy him a gun for every birthday after that,and you both reap the benefit.
    A 'kid sized' .caliber bolt gun is always a good place to start at a younger age,if you wait until he's 16 then the sky is the limit pretty much.
    I'd go .22 caliber for economies sake...
    a 10-22 if you like to shot for fun,a CZ if accuracy is yur game.

I'd go with a Ruger 10/22. Buy it on his 0th birthday. Then get a bunch of 30-round magazines; who knows what'll happen to their supply in the next sixteen years? Spend some money on accessories and long-term storage, and you'll be able to present him with an AWESOME gift somewhere down the road.

concerning the current situation, an AR-15.....
    What would the Army give him???

oh and an AR-15, you can get a 22 upper for it to start out with. then slap the 223 on when he is used to it. something along those lines...
    but, that is some big bucks.

but, I would get something that would be potentially banned, he would think its more awesome later if it does get banned...
    better safe than sorry
    Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.
    -Pericles

personally been making things go "bang" since i was 3. i remember my dad pulling the Cj5 over and letting me shoot the ol winchester model 62 into a ditch covered in snow.

I think 16 is a rough age, because he goes through so many changes of character between now and then. I see it as risky not at least introducing him to proper gun safety and maybe even eddie eagle videos from a young age, this teaches kids guns are not forbidden objects (just like that music he'll love, that you hate) but tools to be handled with respect.

there is no "right" age for gun handling, but there's no better time to teach responsibility and maturity.
    If Caesar had put a ban on assault swords Brutus couldn't have killed him.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance - Thomas Jefferson

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    He gets a BB gun to learn with, a 22 to play with, on his 16th birthday get him a mans gun. A 340 Weatherby Magnum with dies, brass, bullets, powder, primers and a reloading manual. Get the 26" barrel ported and the absolute best rings and scope possible. Don't tell him he has it but encourage him to go out for athletics and work out with weights with him. A little meat on his upper torso and some leg strength will serve him well. You'll have to wait till he's close to 16 before getting him a shooting jacket and good field boots.

A little more practical and more acceptable on local ranges would be a 308 with the same accessories. Get him to reloading from the get go and you will have a shooter for life. I have 3 reloading presses and 2 of them are over 30 years old so don't worry about them going obsolete or going bad on you.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

I fully plan on introducing him to shooting as soon as he is ready- hopefully around 4-5, but he won't get his own gun until he is a little older.

The wife said he cannot shoot until he is 12... I said 12 months might be a little early.

I am thinking that an AR or AK would be a nice fun gun.
    -Learn2Shoot
    Join or renew your NRA membership for $25 at www.discovershooting.net

If we fail to elect pro-gun politicians to Congress and fire those who are anti-gun, it won't matter who the President is.
    If we succeed at electing pro-gun politicians to Congress and fire those who are anti-gun, it won't matter who the President is.
    http://www.gunvoter.com

Kids' personalities vary, of course, but my 16-year-old self would have been far more interested in a military-style rifle (or, well, Ninja style, too) than in the sort of guns that are often created *as* gift guns, with fancy scrollwork, the finest Corinthian leather, etc. My current self (((16x2) + 2), just about) feels the same way

Given the price of ammo now (and while it may get a little better, it could get a lot worse), a high-quality .22 in some indestructable material might be a good pick. He can always move up in caliber, but the .22 will always be a good gun to have around.

timothy

Get him a SIG AMT.
    ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ ПOНК РОК ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀