Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sportsman's Guide - Do they need your money?

Sportsman's Guide - Do they need your money?

Over the weekend I decided how I was going to spend some money on a gun/ammo related purchase.

I placed an order from SG for 3 cases of 7.62x39, 2 cases of 9mm and 1 case of .308 (all Wolf brand ammo). I have a couple of Saiga rifles that love the Wolf and the 9mm is for an XD that I use as cheap recreation and practice and the Wolf works fine for that. A fairly substantial amount of ammo for some, a drop in the bucket for others. BTW: None of the ammo was in stock and was scheduled for delivery from between 30 and 45 days from the order date. The total for the ammo/shipping was about $1650, split into 4 payments through their "4 Pay" plan.

As part of the order I also joined the "Buyer's Club". Paying the $30 club fee saved me a net $55 on the order. Pretty good deal.

This morning I received an email from SG Customer Service. The email said the staff at SG didn't "feel" this order was for personal household use. It went on to say they were not going to honor the order at the 5% "Club" discount because they wanted to discourage group buying in an attempt to get the "Buyer's Club" discount. SG stated they would be more than happy to sell me the ammo at full price, though.

Apparently, business is good enough at SG that they don't need an extra $1650 in their bank account.

Fine...I'll spend $1650 elsewhere since my money is obviously not good enough for them. Just thought some of you might want a heads up if you're contemplating spending your hard-earned money at SG.
    NRA Patron Member - Rides: '06 FLHTP Shoots: Colt Ser 70/Colt 6520 Carries: Colt Defender Drinks: Buffalo Trace Status: Still married to my ex-girlfriend

Not the first time I've heard of them doing that.
    Sic semper tyrannis

If I try to order too much ammo I usually get an Email or call saying its too heavy and have to pay more for shipping. I cancel that order and then split it up into two or three orders, does cost more for shipping (their $10 off coupons whcih I alwyas have plenty of, helps) but still usually cheaper overall than J&G sales, Outdoor Marksman etc. (or I'd be ordering from them instead!) plus SPG ships the order without signature required once you've proved you are 21+ which is a big help for me.

Gun and ammo sales are pretty crazy right now, I placed my orders before the election.

--wally.
    Your commitment to Freedom and Liberty is measured by your tolerance for others doing things you disapprove.
    NRA Patron Member since Jan 20, 2009.

They want to discourage group buying as a method of getting the buyer's club discount? What in the name of heavens for? A sale is a sale!!
    Charter member PWU (Pud Whackers Unanimous!)

Gun control is like fighting drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to buy cars.

Sportsman's Guide has some shady business practices...buyer beware.
    "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."

Yeah they're very well known for doing that. I second the aim surplus recommendation, stand up guys.
    Every social movement (*snip*) that tries to break the bonds of mindless convention and tradition and that defies established privilege gets accused of being rude and worse, much worse, and there are always weak apologists for the status quo who use that pathetic etiquette excuse to try and silence the revolutionaries. Successful revolutionaries ignore the admonitions about which fork to use for their salad because they care only to grab the steak knife as they launch themselves over the table. -- Richard Dawkins

I haven't bought anything from them yet but I will keep this in mind.
    NRA life member, Support Our Troops,
    Pointman Ministries Member
    MMCDC Member

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    Used to buy from them but in smaller amounts, if this is true they just lost a customer. Does anybody else have similar experiences with them?
    1934 – National Firearms Act, 1968 – The Gun Control Act, 1986 – Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 – Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 – Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 – Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

i decided to join recently and got a bunch of coupons after joining

i usually only order around 101 dollars and use a ten dollar coupon

basically pays for the shipping

why buy 200 dollars when you only get ten off
    when you could break it into two orders and get 20 off?

I've purchased from them once....a long long time ago. They have become increasingly "commercial" and have raised their prices regularly on all sorts of cheap trashy products. I would not buy from them again.
    You can't get into a boxing match with a Norinco 982!

Here's a copy of the order and a copy of the email:

Thank you for shopping at Sportsman's Guide. Please note that if you ordered several items to be delivered to the same address, we maysend them in separate boxes to give you the speediest service. This will not affectyour shipping charges. All orders are subject to credit card approval. We will notify youimmediately if your item is not available. For your convenience use your Buyer's Club Number 513XXXX with Express Checkout when placingyour next order. Order Date : November 9, 2008 8:01 AM Central ----------------------------------------------------------------------Billing Information:----------------------------------------------------------------------Name: Mr XXXX XXXXXX Email: xxxxxxxxx@msn.comDaytime Phone: xxx xxx-xxxx Evening Phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx Address: PO BOX XX, XXXXX, CO XXXXX ----------------------------------------------------------------------Shipping Information
    Product Information:----------------------------------------------------------------------1. Wolf® 9 mm 115 Gr. FMJ 1,000 rds.Product: WX2-52588Expected availability: January 12, 2009.Quantity: 2, Club Unit Price: $145.32, Club Total Price: $290.64---------------------------------------------------------------------- 2. 1,000 rds. Wolf® .308 150 Gr. FMJ AmmoProduct: WX2-81637Expected availability: December 31, 2008.Quantity: 2, Club Unit Price: $370.47, Club Total Price: $740.94---------------------------------------------------------------------- 3. 1,000 rds. Wolf® 7.62x39 mm 124 Gr. HP AmmoProduct: WX2-107300Expected availability: December 1, 2008.Quantity: 3, Club Unit Price: $185.22, Club Total Price: $555.66 ----------------------------------------------------------------------Payment Information:----------------------------------------------------------------------Merchandise Total: $1587.24Shipping and Handling: $29.49Shipping Method: [Ground]Club Membership: $29.99---------------------------------------------==============-----------* Grand Total: $1646.72 Payment Plan: Buyer's Club 4-Pay Thank you for joining the Buyer's Club!Your Buyer's Club merchandise savings on this order is $83.55! * Club prices applied. Subject to club approval validation to receive these prices. Enjoy the outdoors!

Sent: Mon 11/10/08 6:53 AM
    To: xxxxxxxxx@msn.com

Dear Xxxxxx,
    Thank you for your order.
    We have been trying to reach you regarding your recent order with us.

Our Buyer’s Club is meant for personal household use. After reviewing the order, we feel that this order does not meet those guidelines.

We are a discount retailer, and limit quantities on Club orders. This is to discourage customers from placing group orders or using the Club to purchase in larger quantities than what would be considered personal household use. This allows us to keep our prices low for all of our customers, and maintain product availability for them as well. On accounts that are non-Club large quantity accounts, we also limit our return policy to within 30 days of when we ship the order.

We need your approval to charge the order with regular, non-Club prices. Please reply to this e-mail or call us at 1-800-882-2945, and reference order number 347XXXXX.

If you have any questions please contact us.

Enjoy the Outdoors!
    Jody Williams
    Customer Service Operations
    NRA Patron Member - Rides: '06 FLHTP Shoots: Colt Ser 70/Colt 6520 Carries: Colt Defender Drinks: Buffalo Trace Status: Still married to my ex-girlfriend

That's it, yourang, and it's what I do. They pass out coupons continually with orders and in email and I do my best to use every one of them.

I wouldn't judge them too harshly during all of this silly buying. They're probably overwhelmed and wondering WTF?

tell them you don't want to give your approval to be charged with non-club prices as that is for personal household use and you will be expecting your order to ship immediately or you will take your money elsewhere. Also tell them that you are blackballing their company with every resource you have. I generally bring up the BBB or (FCC where applicable) or a similar company when emailing/dealing with companies that do not want to give me what I want. It works.
    You can't get into a boxing match with a Norinco 982!

screw sg . just order through AIM no ? asked and very nice people to deal with IMHO

I order a good bit of stuff from them primarily because I do the 4-pay and pay the CC balance in full each month, so it's interest free financing. I've never had a problem, but I can't say that I would accept that change. Call them and tell them that it's complete BS and you want to speak to a supervisor. In cases like this I always make it a point to mention what a big mouth I have, and that I will personally badmouth them to every breathing soul I cross paths with. It's not their place to decide what your personal usage levels are. It's not like you ordered 25 cases.....

nplant
    Have ordered from them in the past, and have been happy with my orders. However, that said, I've decided that since they've abandoned California, I will abandon them.

They refuse to ship back up iron sights to anyone in California. Why? It's not an illegal or restricted item, but because it could be used on an AR, I guess they're not willing to step on CA DOJ's toes. No thanks. I have plenty of other smaller online shops who would be happy to have my business for outdoor or shooting products.

Have you tried calling them and talking to someone in customer service?

I've ordered a lot more ammo than that in the past - 12,000rds at one time [three (1k) cases of wolf 5.56 and another nine (1k) cases Wolf 308] on a single order and had no problems whatsoever. When I placed the order their rep on the phone said it was a lot of ammo and I just explained I had a lot of guns and often burned up 1k-2k on a single range trip. The ammo was backorder for almost a year and I called to maintain my order whenever I got a notice the shipping date was pushed back. I eventually received all 12 cases of ammo, and although the price had increased significantly during the time it was on backorder, they even honored the original price.
    Just because you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town - George Carlin

They are idiots. SG is the company that wouldn't sell me a bayonet to fit the 1898 Mauser rifles they were selling ... but they wouldn't have had any problem selling me the rifle. They also wouldn't sell me a blank-firing replica of a 1911, because they claimed it was illegal in my state. So when I asked to ship it to a friend in another state they refused, because they knew I was ordering it.

They are morons. If you call in an order late at night the phone clerks are usually very pleasant to deal with (as opposed to some companies I refuse to order from), but the legal department must have graduated from the Ed Norton School of Sewer Repair and Law.

I haven't ordered from them in years. Too many better companies with better prices and more accurate descriptions to choose from.

Never used them never will
    Some day my children will have a lot of guns and that will bring a smile to my face.

Used them quite a bit, any problems that I ever had were quickly handled by their customer service people. After speaking with them I don't believe there was ever a problem that wasn't resolved in my favor.

Then again they aren't exactly the same since going public, when Gary O. ran things it always felt like you were dealing with your friendly neighborhood odd lot store. It used to feel like they really knew your name and were happy to see you coming back again. Now they hardly ever have the Bull Bag candy dishes in stock.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
    Robert A. Heinlein

To answer the question, apparently not. Thanks for the heads up on their "reasonable restrictions".

I tried to order from them once years ago. They had bull barrels for 10/22s at a very good price because the manufacturer made a mistake and made them a few thousands under .920" diameter and SG bought all of them. After about three weeks I called to see what was taking so long on my order. They said the barrels were back ordered. It didn't make sense. Why would a mistake be back ordered? I told them to forget it and have never tried to order from them again. I still receive their catalogs and if they ever have something I want at a really good price I'll try them again to see what happens.

I treat them just like Cheaper Than Dirt, who isn't. Sportsman's Guide does sometimes seem to have a real bargain. I got the latest catalog and saw a spotting scope for about $60 - sounds like a real deal - until I googled "Barska" here and found nobody happy with anything they make.

I bought a German snorkel parka when they began getting really hard to find - and got a well made repro, not surplus.

Didn't know Gary O was out of the business now, so I'll take that as another reason to really think twice about future purchases.

Another ok store getting run out of business by a new owner. I didn't vote for changes like that.