Thread: A Survivalist's Blog:How to Discreetly Buy and Cache Your Firearms

A Survivalist's Blog:How to Discreetly Buy and Cache Your Firearms

No question that these folks are very concerned about total firearm confiscation in the very near future.
    An in-depth primer on how to hide your weapons.

http://thesurvivalistblog.blogspot.c...and-cache.html

Sunday, November 9, 2008
    Obama, Gun Control and the Cache
    Obama's "gun policy" can be found on his web site which states; “As president, Barack Obama would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldn't have them. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent; as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets.”

Get all the guns, ammo and full capacity magazines you can afford now while you still can. Prices are already going up and in some cases are double what they were only a month ago. Several cache tubes loaded with guns, ammunition and magazines hidden around your area is good insurance against eventual confiscation by Obama's National Security Force.

Weapons obtained through private sales are best because you want to avoid the usual paper trail that comes with purchasing a firearm from a gun shop. Flea markets and gun shows are the first places to look. If you can’t find what you want here, then putting an ad in a local newspaper or better yet one from another area stating that you are a collector interested purchasing firearms for top dollar, will bring in plenty of offers from people needing extra cash.

Sections of 4", 6" or 8" SDR (Sanitary, Drain, Refuse) pipe will make excellent cache tubes. This type of tubing isn't cheap but is often left lying around at construction sites, ready to be "liberated". Be sure to use tubing with heavy wall thickness, at least 3/8". Cut the tubing to about 60" in length, this will allow enough room for all but the longest rifles. Slip-on type end caps are the best choice for sealing up the tube, avoid threaded caps or plugs as they are more expensive and tend to get fouled up with dirt, making them difficult to reopen after recovery of the cache.

Using epoxy or PVC cement, permanently seal up one end with an end cap and test to be sure the seal is airtight. This is best done by placing the tube into water, sealed end down, and looking for leaks.

The next step is to prepare the weapons for caching. It is important to give the weapons a thorough coating with some type of thick, rust-preventative grease. There is some divergence of opinion on just what type to use but I would suggest that just about any type of thick grease will do the job if the cache is for a short to medium duration (1-7 years). Don't be tempted to apply the grease too thickly, a thin coating will do just fine and will be MUCH easier to remove later (anyone who's experienced trying to remove grease from a cached weapon knows what I mean!).

Care must be taken with telescopic or laser sights not to get grease into the optics or electronics. Keep the lens caps on and wrap the scope or laser with plastic bags and tape before applying grease to the weapon. Don't remove the scope from the weapon because it may be impossible for you to re-zero it back in later. Batteries should be removed from lasers before caching. Avoid disassembling weapons if possible as some small parts may become lost in the process. Be sure that ammunition is not exposed to contact with grease or oil as they can penetrate into the cartridge and make the ammunition useless. Seal ammunition into airtight containers or "ziplock" bags to reduce deterioration.

Silica gel can be added to the tube, along with the weapons, just before sealing as a further rust-preventative measure. This step is not really necessary unless a very long-term cache is considered.

The tube is now sealed up with the other end cap. This can be done by either applying grease to the inside walls of the end cap and sliding it into place or by permanently cementing the end cap on. The cap should be cemented if a very long term (10-30 years) cache is being considered or a very hostile environment, such as underwater or in a swamp, is chosen for the cache.

You are now ready to choose a location to place the cache. A soil auger will be necessary if you intend to bury your cache tube underground. A manual soil auger is the best way to dig a vertical hole for the cache tube. Soil augers are used to dig fence post holes and are sold in 6"- 12" models. Soil augers are connected to a turning handle on top with a length of 3/4" pipe. The device will dig down to a depth of about four feet. At this depth, you will have to add a three foot extension to the pipe in order to dig down deep enough to bury a 60" tube one foot underground.

Don't even consider burying your cache horizontally, it presents too large a target for metal detectors. When buried underground, a cache tube will be nearly impossible to remove as the soil settles in around it. For this reason be sure that the permanently sealed end of the tube is place down into the hole. In this way you can access, remove or replace weapons in the tube without removing it from the ground.

Be sure to place your cache at quite a distance from your residence or retreat. At 100 feet distance any searchers must cover 31,400 square feet in order to conduct a thorough search, not a difficult task with modern metal detectors. At 200 feet the area becomes 125,600 square feet, still not an insurmountable task with the latest equipment and a dedicated team.

Move out to 1000 feet and the area becomes 3.14 million square feet… almost 71 acres!! If the survivor was to scatter old nuts, bolts, nails and other pieces of scrap metal throughout this area, even a very dedicated team with unlimited time and monetary resources would soon tire of false readings and move on to an easier case. A great place to hide a cache is right in the middle of a little-used rural dirt road. This way you can get to your cache quickly and easily while still having it located a great distance from your residence. In this case be sure to watch for any upcoming roadwork in the area as some construction worker may turn up your cache.

If you ever think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up.
    Find Liberty in your Lifetime
    http://www.freestateproject.org
    Hope to see my fellow freedom lovers in NH.

x=0x09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0

I like to hide all my extra cash in a Campbell's soup can I opened from the bottom.

So now that I've told everyone, what's the point of hiding it there?

And now that I've told everyone that a Sunkist raisin box holds twelve M193 rounds, what's the point? (Surprising how many folks did not "get" that thread.)

http://thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=401643

QFT

That's very true, although it may be wise to pick up a cheap SKS and bury it with some ammo as a final alternative.

Several cache tubes loaded with guns, ammunition and magazines hidden around your area is good insurance against eventual confiscation by Obama's National Security Force.
    I'm not buring a darn thing. If it come to that then it's time to revolt. Besides, many of us live in urban/suburban areas. Where the heck are we supposed to bury stuff when some of use don't even have room in our yards for a swing set? Not to mention trailer parks or condos. Get real. I'm not burying my guns anymore than I plan on burying my ham radios or my spouse's cross stitching patterns.

If it comes down to house searches and they know you're a gunowner, what makes you think they won't sweep your yard with a metal detector? Holy smokes, for those seriously contemplating burying guns, just how bad do things need to get before you're willing to use them??

Burying doesn't need to be an all-or-nothing affair. Diversification seems like the best course.

Not really "High Road" that the article in the OP suggests that you steal sewer pipe.
    Lew Wallace was an optimist.

I want my country back!

Hmmmmm ... invest a few thousand, bury it, and in a few years (thanks to the aging process) you've forgotten where you buried it

Of course you could make a detailed map
    The ONLY thing certain in life is DEATH. Live each day to its' FULLEST!

Imagine what future archeologists will conclude.

but, maybe it's worth it to think that maybe, just maybe, my cache of artifacts will put a stopper on some future development project - stop it long enough to complete the 'dig' and store my artifacts in museum basements all over the country. Err, whatever country it may be.

Of course you could make a detailed map
    When you make your map, be sure to use code words so nobody will know it's a map to your cache. (Use "o" or "y" or something to mark the spot. DO NOT USE "X".)
    It also might be a good idea to use something like "GBH" (Guns Buried Here) and "ABH" (Ammo Buried Here) so you will remember just what you buried where.

Engage: Activism

Guys.

If you bury them, then the grabbers have deprived you of your guns.

I have a suggestion: make enough noise, publicly, on as many channels as possible to convey that their policy does not have enough public support.

Join the NRA. Join GOA, JFPO, and any other high profile groups with enough clout to be useful.

You don't like the NRA? Hold your nose and send them some bucks. They're not perfect, but if their membership doubles and triples, they won't be ignored.

Do NOT let these people operate in the shadows. Force them to act publicly. Shine lots of light.

Become eloquent. Don't know how to be erudite and eloquent? Then learn, dammit. Eloquence is now a survival skill.

Learn facts. Learn their lies and learn the rebuttal.

Create new shooters. Befriend people who need to learn shooting, and put a .22 rifle in their hands. Introduce them to an AR and some range time.

Get active, guys.

Grow our numbers. Grow the NRA membership.

When enough people understand -- first hand -- that gun control is a stupid idea that hurts them, too, then we win.

But spending all your effort burying your birthright isn't going to win this.

Growth is what wins.

Let's do that.

Daughter: "Dad, how do I know who's a real friend?"
    Me: "A friend is someone who cares how your life turns out."

"Truth is a dangerous thing: once found, you must never turn your back on it." -- gh@c2

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe." -- gh@c2

what digitalwarrior said is 100% right. but if anyone does want to bury them you can just give them to me i will give them a good home above ground.

ArfinGreebly, Well put!

I have been a member of the NRA for a while now. I finally convinced my father to join as well and I keep working on others as well - especially if I already know they enjoy shooting or hunting. I know the NRA is not perfect, but they are fighting and I intend to help where I can.

First they came for the cross stitching patterns, and I said nothing...

If you have more than one gun, diversification is usually a good idea. Have some you bought from a FFL and some you didn't. Have some available at a moment's notice, have some in the safe, and have some embedded in your bathroom drywall (by the pipes) or taped to the back of your sink where a metal detector would be useless. Have some that will survive all but the most draconian ban and have some that you know would be first to go but might be grandfathered.

This sounds like having a lot of guns, but it doesn't have to be. A shotgun within reach, an AK in the safe, and a Hi-Point in a sealed bag duct-taped to some very metal-intensive part of your house would do all of the above.

Keep in mind that during WWII, the Allies didn't drop Garands and 1911s to the Free French; they dropped one-shot non-reloadable Liberator pistols, figuring that the hostile state would surely have military arms that could be "liberated." Read the story of Alvin York and see what one determined man with a gun can do when facing a foe that is less than 100% determined.
    IANAL. TINLA. BYOB.
    You can't spell "B.O.H.I.C.A." without B.H.O.

If you bury your guns, they win !

You must politically fight for this NOT TO HAPPEND !

there are plenty of things to do before thinking of digging your backyard..
    Swiss gun collector and shooter.. and proud of it !
    Geneva is not about conventions. It's where I live ;)

If you bury your guns, they win !

You must politically fight for this NOT TO HAPPEND !

there are plenty of things to do before thinking of digging your backyard..
    Shung,I'm sure you've noticed the vast majority of poster's responding do not agree with the OP blogger's suggestions.
    His mindset is in the vast minority.
    My yard is less than a half acre.No way are my beauty's going into the dirt to be instantly found with a metal detector.
    As said by more than one:

Amen to that!

Sure Johnny. this was only my opinion about the blogger, not all other THR members !

To be foolish, i'd say that the only dirty hole my guns will ever go in, will be next to me..
    Swiss gun collector and shooter.. and proud of it !
    Geneva is not about conventions. It's where I live ;)

The only answer IMHO

See my signature. I've only used it for about 20 years, so it is not yet worn out.

Pops
    Armed and Safe - not just a theory

If it is time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
    Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."

Glad I still have my sticker "They can have my gun when they pry it from my cold dead hand". Im going to need it
    Some day my children will have a lot of guns and that will bring a smile to my face.

They'll be burying me before I bury my guns. I'll use 'em first. Most people around here will.
    NRA Patron Member - Rides: '06 FLHTP Shoots: Colt Ser 70/Colt 6520 Carries: Colt Defender Drinks: Buffalo Trace Status: Still married to my ex-girlfriend

*Sigh*

We're not even to the end of page #1, and this has already devolved into a chest-beating fest.

This isn't going to go anywhere good.

Closed.

Daughter: "Dad, how do I know who's a real friend?"
    Me: "A friend is someone who cares how your life turns out."

"Truth is a dangerous thing: once found, you must never turn your back on it." -- gh@c2

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe." -- gh@c2