Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Father-in-law needs handgun for Home Defence

Father-in-law needs handgun for Home Defence

My father-in-law recently expressed interest in purchasing a hangun for home defence and I told him I would help him out in choosing something satisfactory. He already has a couple of shotguns (a winchester and a mossberg) and hunts with them a time or two a year.

I was over at his house yesterday and we were talking about home defence and the increase in firearm purchases recently and he said, "oh ya, I still have my old revolver upstairs and I have my .25 (Betsy)." So I asked to see his revolver which he calls his ".38" We get that old thing out and its a very old dirty Iver Johnson arms & cycle works .38 (maybe .32?). Googled it real quick and found that those revolvers were generally known as "suicide specials" as they were highly unreliable and dangerous. His .25 is a pocket gun that he said doesn't shoot straight enough to hit a barn at 10 feet. I didn't even bother looking at it.

He's looking for something in the $500 range. It doesn't have to be a super heavy duty gun, as it won't be something he even shoots on a regular basis. It just needs to be a reliable gun that he can practice with occasionally and be comfortable with. I was thinking about either a Bersa (.380 or thunder 9), Kahr .40 or 9mm, or a CZ-75b like mine. Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks!
    ~Norinco
    You can't get into a boxing match with a Norinco 982!

Keltec
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    Does he want a revolver or a pistol, CCW or strictly a house gun. Sport and plinking along with HD or just a Defense gun.

If its for strictly HD I wouldn't suggest any compact model but a full sized revolver in 38spcl with a 4" barrel or a pistol in 9MM. Double action point and shoot, hand filling so recoil isn't an issue, 38cal or 9MM so muzzle blast isn't an issue.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

A reliable revolver may be best for him.
    The Smith Model 60 and Ruger SP101 in .357 Mag(.38 Special) are tried and true.Get him something easy to operate that will go bang every time.Several barrel options depending on primary use.

Hard to say beat the .38/.357 revolver advice. But, I'll try...

Since this will NOT be a carry piece, consider a bigger revolver: .44 Special (or .44 mag loaded with .44 Special), .45 ACP or .45 Colt (DA, not SAA).

Yep: the trick will be finding one under $500. Used, maybe?

Sounds like a job for the Ruger SP101. Maybe in the new .327 Federal Mag chambering too?

FFMedic

Glock 19 or Ruger GP100.

Find him a good used K-frame Smith & Wesson in .38 Special or .357 Mag. (more expensive but more versatile) or possibly an L-frame or even old N-frame Model 28; or a Ruger Security Six, Speed Six or Service Six or maybe a GP-100. If you look at a Colt get one of of the coil spring versions, NOT the leaf spring version.

I kind of listed each group together and the cost goes up as you go along the list.

Any of these, especially a used police trade-in, will be just broken in for him and a good deal. I recently (before the election and the run on everything) saw light barreled S&W 4" Model 10s for about $175.00 - $180.00 and the 4" HB version for $200.00 to $210.00.

Buckshot

The 4" Ruger GP100 .357 would be a great choice if you've got your heart set on a handgun. But, and I say this as someone who owns only handguns, if you're not going to carry it outside the home, the 12 gauge is a vastly more effective weapon.

I believe the Ruger GP 100 would be a great choice for a home defense revolver, the SP 101 may be a little better choice for CCW.
    From my cold dead hands.
    If it ain't a Colt it is a copy.

Beretta Px4 9mm or 40cal

See if you can find a local gun store that has a NIB Beretta Px4 9mm.. or 40

Dependability, Reliability, are there 100% of the time.

That's gonna be the best, IMO, smoothest DA/SA trigger pull out of the box for 500 bucks, plus 2 Beretta Mags and they just work 100%, along with, the gun. No break in required, and they will shoot most anything, especially in JHP's.

Gun requires min maintenance, is EASY to disassemble, inspect, clean, and reassemble, as it gets.

All action is smooth from NIB plus:

Rotating barrel offers least amount of recoil for a lightweight gun and they are very accurate.

Come with 3 backstraps so he can find a perfect grip for his hands.

They usually come in F models, safety-decocker in one, but also come in G-models, decocker-only, or one can convert an F model to a G model very easily, if desired up the road.

IIRC, in your neck of the woods, they come with *14-40cal, and *17-9mm, *round mags.

Luck,

Ls
    ~ Fate is the Hunter ~

Beretta
    SIG
    Springfield
    7 German Shepherds ~ RIP

(OO) Lost but making good time

Auction Arms or Gunbroker still has 38 special K frames for under $400, mainly model 10s. You can find Model 65, 357s also. These would be great for what he wants. Xtrra $100 will get him a Model 19 or such.

With his limited experience and desire not to shoot all that much, I would stay away from a semi=auto.

When non gun or sometimes gun folk look for recommendations I try to steer them towards the S&W K frame. It is the correct size for the person who is going to buy it, fire six shots, reload it and feel safe.

They have stood the test of time and they are not complicated to master.

Now, if they are truly gun savvy, I still recommend the revolver.

Just my thoughts

Norinco982lover, others have posted good "hardware" advice, now I'm going to ask you a question about the "software".

Sounds like your Dad has had these other pistols around for a long time, never got to know anything about them, never shot them (thank God in the case of the Iver).

Is he going to take the responsibility and learn to shoot and maintain any new handgun he gets? If not then he's falling prey to the "magic wand" syndrome and any sense of security he has due to owning a firearm will be a false one.

If one chooses to own a firearm, especially if it is for self defense, then one must also accept the responsibility to train in both the use and safety aspects of that firearm. If they don't want to do that then firearms are NOT the answer for that person. Perhaps an even larger issue is that someone deciding to have a firearm for self defense MUST accept the fact that they may have to use it to KILL someone. Again, if one cannot accept that fact (maybe thinking “oh it’ll scare the badguy off and I’ll never actually have to use it) then, again, firearms are NOT a good tool for that person and they should find a different solution.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

Home defense only? OK

Why a handgun? He's got 2 shotguns.

If it's because he wants something easier to handle inside of the house then I'd suggest a Taurus Judge. It's a 45-410 that is very good for close spaces and short distances.

However, regardless of the gun(s) he has or gets he still needs to learn the best way to use them in defensive situations. Hunting in the field and home defense are only related by the fact that both can involve firearms. He also needs to make a commitment to maintain what he has. Maybe the 2 old pistols were "not worth the effort" in his mind, and he won't have that attitude about a new gun. However, if he don't care for the shotguns that he does use ... there is a larger problem.
    The ONLY thing certain in life is DEATH. Live each day to its' FULLEST!

Shotguns can get unweildy in certain indoor circumstances if they still have the stock and a hunting barrel. Semi auto pistols can be an issue if the user doesn't spend lots of time learning to clear jams (remember Murphy's law). I recommend a revolver in .357 or .44 (magnum and/or special) since they seldom jam and don't need to be 'cocked' if they're double action. Charter Arms makes a nice little compact 6 shot that would be pretty appropriate and they sell locally for about $375. My $.02 worth.
    The uneducated and the misinformed are easily led astray. -- John Mellencamp

I remember when Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms was a shopping list and not a government agency.

Thanks everyone! It sounds like a revolver, a K frame if possible, is the overall advice that I'm getting so I'll definitely steer him in that direction.

ZeSpectre,
    My father-in-law is the director of surgery at a prominent hospital and is very down to earth as he has always had to work for everything he wanted. He is very very responsible and I do not believe that he thinks that guns are a "magic wand" although I understand what you are talking about. It would just be nice if he and my mother-in-law could have access to a reliable weapon at short notice (i don't know if their shotguns are even accessible I will talk to him about that).

Thanks! ~Norinco

I love revolvers for .357, .44, .454 etc but if you are looking at a 9mm or a .40 why not something with some capacity. Someone mention the px4 which is nice but the new Springfield XDm can hold 16rd of .40 in the mag. It is also easy to clean. While not as sexy as a revolver it gives him the ability to miss a few times and still be in the fight especially if it is going to be a gun he doesnt train with like his current two.

Take your FIL out to a rental range and have try out a variety of guns from semis to revolvers.

Let him do the selecting on what type & caliber.

I agree that SD handguns should be full sized for better control and accuracy. Also easier to manipulate as he ages.
    Vae Victis

CWL, great idea, i have no idea why i didn't think of that. I had my first handgun experience at a shooting range and I had a blast. I shot a glock 19, sig 220, and a sweet kimber 1911.

I'll take him out to my parents house to save some dough and have him shoot my CZ-75, my friends S&W .38 revolver, XD 9mm subcompact, and my other friends XD .45 fullsize. Thanks again!

Model 10

rd
    "Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire." Homer Bannon - Hud 1963
    Behind the Barn Blog

If he wants a semiauto, consider A Ruger P89 or P95. They always work and in 9mm are very controllable. Comes stock with 15 rd. magazines. He can beat the $500.00 ceiling by a lot and buy some ammo for practice. Then go out to Ammunition To Go and get some +P 147 gr Federal HST for home defense. $19.95/ box of 50.

If he likes shotguns look at the Rem. 870 HD model. 18 in. barrel and 6+1.

With a little shopping he probably could buy BOTH for $500.00 or so used.
    Specs

ZeSpectre,
    My father-in-law is the director of surgery at a prominent hospital and is very down to earth as he has always had to work for everything he wanted. He is very very responsible and I do not believe that he thinks that guns are a "magic wand" although I understand what you are talking about.
    Fair enough, I just get concerned that so many people fall into that trap. No offense intended towards your FIL.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

Revolver. K frame-ish . Even if .357, load with .38 +P unless/ until FIL has dedicated practice routine.

K-frame .38, Model 10 is a good choice.

If he wants an automatic I recommend a Bersa .380 or 9mm.
    They have a safety/decocker, and they are Da/Sa.
    They are inexpensive, durable, and reliable.
    Get the alloy frame and they are lightweight.
    You can stick a Bersa in your pocket when someone is banging on the door. Try that with a K-frame.
    I think they are the ideal self-loader for a non-gun person.
    I got one for my wife as a car gun.