Thread: Today's the day to get a CCW

Today's the day to get a CCW

Actually, here in WA it appears (unfortunately, IMO) to be a CPL -- concealed *pistol* license -- instead, but I'll live with that. (And I guess this means that WA comes down on the revolver-is-a-pistol side of the argument, on which point I agree with them.)

Talked with a pleasant person on the phone, and will shortly go downtown to fill out the paperwork, and pay 55.25 -- much less than a Texas permit, and only a bit more than in Pennsylvania.

Unlike PA (Dauphin County at least), I don't need to supply long-known references within the state (though I had them lined up, assuming I would) and despite the 90-day residency requmt to purchase a handgun otherwise, there's no such limit for a new resident like me to apply for the CPL, at which point there is also no waiting period for handguns, as there is for a non-CPL holder here. [EDITED TO CORRECT: See my post below which contradicts this; as a new resident, there's an additional 30-day delay, apparently, but at least it wasn't a "cannot even fill out the form" situation, which would have been irksome after my earlier telephone conversation with the ofice, during which I was told that there's no length-of-residency requirement so long as a bona-fide WA resident. Which is true, so far as it goes -- should still get approval, it just comes with an anti-bonus of an extra month's wait.]

I hope it all goes smoothly --

timothy

p.s. Would someone please buy this, so I'm no longer tempted? http://thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=401777
    I have no connection to the seller, but if I find it untaken later today I might be lured into trying to nab it, while my first AR kit is wending its way through the back-order process ...

EDIT: C'mon! If no one buys this guy's AR, he might decide to accept my offer, and then I'd have to make good and pay for it Ha ha, only serious!
    EDIT II: No one bit, so I did, so now I hope *that* goes smoothly
    Last edited by yhtomit; November 11th, 2008 at 05:57 AM.

I hope it all goes smoothly
    I'm sure it will.A fine, intelligent decision.
    You'll never regret it.
    Thank you for adding to our ever growing ranks.

Must be something in the air today, my daughter out of the blue went to the court house and picked hers up today. Problem is, she doesn't own any pistols, maybe I should go count mine.......
    Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies!
    - Bette Davis -

Anyone who lives in a state that offers Concealed carry should get one. Although out of my immediate family I am the only one who CCW's i pay for their CCW renewals every year.

When I applied for mine (in Bellevue, WA) it was approved and in my mailbox within 5 days.
    The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surly curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort.
    - Lazarus Long

"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them..."
    - RUSH

HO-CHEE-MAMA!! I wished I lived anywhere but the PRC! (or the PRNJ!)
    Charter member PWU (Pud Whackers Unanimous!)

Loved the process in Michigan. Decided to get it on a Wednesday, took the class on Thursday, filed the application on Thursday, went back in Friday to do Fingerprinting. They told me to appear before the Gunboard at the next meeting (3 weeks away.) to pick up my CCW/Appeal the Decision Told them I couldn't, as I'd be back in California by then(Leave was up in two weeks.) They had me sign a blank CCW license, and tucked it in the mail for me actually a couple of days before the Gun Board met. Easy as can be.

Hey! Nice responses, here's a followup:

Because I checked (had to, to be in the good graces of light and truth) the box that says I've not been a WA resident for the 90 days continuously preceding today, it appears that there'll be a 60-day waiting period for me, but Oh, well.

For me, this works out to just about as it would for a non-resident permit would have if I'd applied for one in July (shoulda!) when I made a quick visit before the true move-back. Residency reqmts being a tricky thing, I suppose I could have justified a claim of 90 days continuous, since in July I entered the state with the intent to live there permanently (and made my first "moving trip" by leaving a large duffel bag), but I'd rather have strayed on the side of the obvious than the technical. I'll live with the 60 days -- but I'm glad I didn't fill out the same form on day 89, and *then* get penalized for it!

Process was smooth, pleasant, polite, friendly -- If I calculate correctly, It's been just over 6 years since I first visited Washington (after which I moved in as soon as possible) before leaving for a while for grad school, and nearly every day I find a new reason to love the place, including more doses of the things I already love.

Most interesting part of the process, not sure if it's true everywhere in the state (and would be very surprised!), but here in King County, I had a very high-tech finger-printing process. I meant to note the name of the technician (Asian fellow, I'd guess late 30s -mid 40s) who actually collected my prints. He was funny and pleasant -- he made some mild disparaging remarks, seemingly in good humor, about owning guns, to which I gave my pat answer that gun ownership is primarily about "government control," and we chatted a bit. No convincing was going on in either direction, but that was OK. The finger printing process, compared to the handful of times I've been printed in the past, was ultra-thorough -- electronic scanning of both hands together, then each fingertip simply pressed (positioned by the technician) onto the scanner, then a rolling version for each finger print. He was a stickler, too -- each impression is rated by the machine for quality, with an "acceptable" rating of 75pct; the highest he got on my fingers was a 98pct; I asked whether he'd ever gotten a 100pct, and he said "Just once." He redid several prints that were well above the machine's threshhold but below his personal standards. It's like living in a place where even government employees take pride in their jobs

For anyone who applies for the CPL in King County and goes to the courthouse at 516 3d Ave in Seattle, and is hypothetically embarrassingly stupid enough to show up without remembering to visit the ATM first ... note that such people might find an ATM just down the hallway in the courthouse, past the elevators. Hypothetically.

Perhaps the waiting period is an estimate and it'll show up sooner -- we'll see.

timothy

p.s. Above desc. of job competence and interesting software / hardware system does not constitute endorsement of widespread collection of fingerprints, etc, which I find at once annoying and insidious. I didn't always feel that way, so I can understand that many people are baffled by any objection to it without themselves feeling part of any conspiracy, and that's what drives me to remain even-keel rather than grumpy. Today, at least.
    Last edited by yhtomit; November 11th, 2008 at 01:53 AM. Reason: added p.s.

p.s. Above desc. of job competence and interesting software / hardware system does not constitute endorsement of widespread collection of fingerprints, etc, which I find at once annoying and insidious. I didn't always feel that way, so I can understand that many people are baffled by any objection to it without themselves feeling part of any conspiracy, and that's what drives me to remain even-keel rather than grumpy. Today, at least.
    Yes,folks in Alaska,New Hampshire,Vermont and many other places would be more than grumpy about the fingerprint process.
    An incredible intrusion not known in their more sensible domains.
    I'm speaking 2nd Amendment wise of course.

For NH,for instance a FL resident needs no fingerprints,no picture and only about 20 dollars for 5 years and within 10 working days back comes your license.
    No snide bureaucrat deriding your choice to become armed.
    Need 2 more Advil after reading about your "interview".

I hope it all goes smoothly
    I'm sure it will.A fine, intelligent decision.
    You'll never regret it.
    Thank you for adding to our ever growing ranks.
    Johnny Dollar:

a) Love your nick; are you familiar with the radio character, or is that just a coincidence? (I noticed an Ayn Rand reference in at least one earlier post of yours, another good route to that handle.) The radio series is one of my favorites -- good potboilers, with a fun conceit (the expense-report driven narrative).

b) I've had a permit (about which I have mixed feelings, since such permits are IMO at the very least extra-Constutional ... but that's a longer argument than this post will contain neatly) for a few years now, but my old permit was in PA; I should have gotten a WA one when I lived here before, but talked myself out of it for dumb reasons.

c) Related to b), and to your 2d response in this thread -- Yeah, no one should have to be fingerprinted, iris-scanned, or gait-movement-analyzed, and inside, I'm unhappy about it; I think being concise and polite was the best approach this afternoon. As life-energy uses go, fuming about that in particular doesn't help my blood pressure, and I don't want to explode before the age of 40 or so. Vs. Pennsylvania's process, the main difference is that WA did what seems to be a technically better job of gathering more personal information about me than it should.

Cheers,

timothy

Love your nick; are you familiar with the radio character, or is that just a coincidence? (I noticed an Ayn Rand reference in at least one earlier post of yours, another good route to that handle.) The radio series is one of my favorites -- good potboilers, with a fun conceit (the expense-report driven narrative).
    You are right on,Timothy.
    Yours truly,
    Johnny Dollar

Quote Originally Posted by bobbarker View Post
    Loved the process in Michigan. Decided to get it on a Wednesday, took the class on Thursday, filed the application on Thursday, went back in Friday to do Fingerprinting. They told me to appear before the Gunboard at the next meeting (3 weeks away.) to pick up my CCW/Appeal the Decision Told them I couldn't, as I'd be back in California by then(Leave was up in two weeks.) They had me sign a blank CCW license, and tucked it in the mail for me actually a couple of days before the Gun Board met. Easy as can be.
    Obviously not Wayne County! My first took me only 5 months; the renewal which was supposed to be "far shorter" took 6!

I hate Wayne County!!!
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.".......John F. Kennedy

Moyock North Carolina but i go to VA a lot also.
    When I applied for mine (in Bellevue, WA) it was approved and in my mailbox within 5 days.
    Wow. You must live in a real gun friendly county.
    "If my life or someone else's life is in danger, i will help them by any means necessary. God has equipped me with a tool of life. I will practice with it, clean it, and if i have to, use it. If given the opportunity to save an innocent life by taking a guilty one, I will do so. No matter what."
    -Me

Everyone in WA State needs to get one, even if they do not carry...

Wow. You must live in a real gun friendly county.
    Not really. Bellevue is in King County, which is home of Seattle and probably the strongest "Blue" county in the state. For some reason though, background checks always come back very fast for me. My Passport came in only about a week and a half from the day I turned in the paperwork too.

Of course, I am probably already "on file" because of a previous job in the investment industry. The funds my group worked with required a full Federal check, including fingerprinting, etc. My guess is that new checks keep hitting the file I have for the investment industry and finding that I've already checked out clean.
    The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surly curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort.
    - Lazarus Long

"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them..."
    - RUSH

Today's the day to get a CCW

Myself, my wife and father in law all have or or getting our permits. here in Indiana we now have life time License to Carry A Handgun Permits.
    Courtesy of the N.R.A. and Gov.Mitch Daniels. And the best part is we can open carry if we are so inclined to do so.
    A armed man is a citizen.
    A unarmed man is a subject.

"Myself, my wife and father in law all have or or getting our permits. here in Indiana we now have life time License to Carry A Handgun Permits."
    Smart

And naturally, the Constitution at the very least *should* serve for all and sundry as a reminder (not creator) of an always-on right to self-defense, but it's good that at least your state has obliged by agreeing

timothy