Thread: November 11

November 11

A respectfull salute to all the soldiers (including americans) who fought in the trenches 90 years ago ! This a commemorative day.

I have a Italian great grandfather who emigrated in the US in 1910's and came back to fight with the American troops. He was decorated. He then died in a mine in Wisconsin, in the 20's.
    Swiss gun collector and shooter.. and proud of it !
    Geneva is not about conventions. It's where I live ;)

My prayers go out to all soldiers, past and present, on this day. I thank them for my freedoms and I respect their sacrifice for serving our great country and helping make it what it is today.

DITTO... Redraidermgr
    Well spoken.... We owe it all to all to the veterans, past and present.....
    May GOD bless each and every one of them....
    1 policeman for every 300 people in the U.S....
    H&K and Glock will take care of me and my 3.....

nplant
    Last night I saw a TV ad for a Veterans Day sale. Well, this day used to be tied to something concrete, and wasn't just a day to save money on jewelry or whatever. Originally, it was called "Armistice Day" and was tied to the armistice of The Great War. I know I've posted this quote before, but I believe it bears repeating.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
    I will come to a time in my backwards trip when November eleventh, accidentally my birthday, was a sacred day called Armistice Day. When I was a boy, and when Dwayne Hoover was a boy, all the people of all the nations which had fought in the First World War were silent during the eleventh minute of the eleventh hour of Armistice Day, which was the eleventh day of the eleventh month.
    It was during that minute in nineteen hundred and eighteen, that millions upon millions of human beings stopped butchering one another. I have talked to old men who were on battlefields during that minute. They have told me in one way or another that the sudden silence was the Voice of God. So we still have among us some men who can remember when God spoke clearly to mankind.
    Armistice Day has become Veterans' Day. Armistice Day was sacred. Veterans' Day is not.
    Today, the United States counts one living veteran from World War I, and the entire world counts as many as 15 total. I hope some of us continue to remember what Armistice Day used to mean, and preserve the memories of those vets for years to come.

I'd like to
    remind all of the wonderful song and video by Canadian Terry Kelly,
    honoring Remembrance Day.

"A Pittance of Time"
    See it on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kX_3y3u5Uo

All who already know about this video also know to keep a tissue
    handy. Others, you should.

learn more about how it came about,
    http://www.terry-kelly.com/pittance/pittance_en.htm

which includes a second video about a related musical drama.

Thank, you, all who have served. Special and most sincere thanks to
    all who have served in harm's way.

Thank you, all Veterans.