Thread: Gun Sales Shoot Up After Election

Gun Sales Shoot Up After Election

http://theday.com/re.aspx?re=6c11f17...d-d59855ba9d08

My Local Paper ran this:

Business has been especially good at Ron's Guns in East Lyme since Barack Obama was elected president last week.

In fact, owner Ron Rando said, sales of handguns and ammunition have increased ever since the Democratic candidate started his political campaign.

Rando believes gun sales climb whenever a Democrat is elected president.

”Democrats are anti-gun men, that's what happens,” Rando said.

In campaign statements, Obama said he believes in the rights conferred by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution but favors some regulation. In his career as an Illinois state senator he voted in favor of local bans in that state, and in the U.S. Senate he voted for a ban in Washington, D.C.

Normally in a busy month, such as during hunting season, Rando said his shop might sell about 30 guns. Between the election and last Friday afternoon, he sold 13.

”They're buying handguns because of what we've got in office,” Rando said.

Rando and other gun owners fear the new administration will return to President Bill Clinton's gun ban, which prohibited semiautomatic assault rifles.

A New York Times article reported Friday that sales of handguns, rifles and ammunition surged last week around the country.

Walter Joseph was shopping at Ron's Guns on Friday afternoon. He said he is a gun owner and a hunter and was looking for another firearm.

”Yeah, I'm concerned with what just happened,” Joseph said. He fears the new administration will be “very strong anti-gun. They just want to go after everything.”

Bob Williamson, co-owner of E&B Sporting Goods in Salem, said there's been an influx of people taking gun safety classes in order to get permits for gun ownership. He said so many people have shown an interest in getting permits that he has increased the classes to twice a month.

”They're hearing that because Obama's anti-guns, their rights are going to diminish,” Williamson said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't buy a firearm from this guy, I drive 55 miles to Newington because the choices, prices, and service is much better elsewhere...
    WWW.CCDL.US Connecticut Citizens Defense League

"We The People" not "You The Government"!

I've also noticed a lot of price gouging. Call it supply and demand if you want but I think it's unfair. Too many people fueling the fire of panic these days.

It is a for-real phenom. all right. I'm considering a purchase and called a place I like and have bought from before. He laughed at the notion of getting certain evil black rifles. The store is COMPLETELY sold out of EBRs and doesn't know when they'll get another supply run from the distributor. High cap pistols are selling above normal but not like the EBRs.

Our local paper endorsed Obama and is now running a piece on gun sales. Front page photo of the most expensive guy in town with a M4, for press value, and a tag end paragraph that weakly copies the website paragraph on future changes.

Of course, no explanation of what the double talk really means, just the sensationalism of "bitter" people grabbing what guns they can in hysteric anticipation of an AWB.

I sometimes wonder if secretly run PAC's of gun makers like to see Demoncrats elected every now and then . . .

Off topic but could someone explain what EBR stands for?
    Molon Labe!

Off topic but could someone explain what EBR stands for?
    EBR is an interwebs acronym for "Evil Black Rifle." The type of rifle most likely to be banned if a new AWB passes.

...and AWB stood for Assault Weapons Ban the first time...next time, you might as well call it All Weapons Ban.

EBR:

can also mean "Enhanced Battle Rifle", as we all use "evil black rifle" affectionately but others may be of such low mental capacity to attribute good and evil to a tool.

ergggggggg
    (groaning over the title of the article)

Nonetheless, the higher rate of purchasing guns is something I've noticed, or at least people are talking about buying them. On one of my knitting forums ladies are talking about buying a gun or another gun "next payday" - exactly because of who's in office and what might happen.

Politely aimed at Ms Rose...

Hearing the term "knitting forum" has left me in 'stitches'....
    My wife knits...and I have already been slapped.
    NRA Endowment Member

Newington Gun Exchange was off the hook with customers this past weekend. It was like the floor of the stock exchange almost.
    WWW.CCDL.US Connecticut Citizens Defense League

"We The People" not "You The Government"!

Its busy all over but all the places jacking up there prices won't be getting my buisness
    Some day my children will have a lot of guns and that will bring a smile to my face.

I heard the big Tulsa Gun Show was packed....A friend I know, told me that there was a big buying spree there....

Administrator   
    Its busy all over but all the places jacking up there prices won't be getting my buisness
    Consider that they must charge more because they won't be able to afford re-stocking otherwise.
    Oleg Volk
    A Human Right | Blog

The NRA should send out a mass mailer that includes full plans and instructions for Sten guns to every American household, talking about how important the gun was in WWII and saying that while they don't advocate actually building one, it's important for all Americans to understand that with basic tools they can protect their 2A rights from the government.
    IANAL. TINLA. BYOB.
    You can't spell "B.O.H.I.C.A." without B.H.O.

If they spun it in a historical way, they could probably avoid any legal trouble...I mean, free speech, right? I could see that actually working.
    ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ ПOНК РОК ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Well, you can find basic plans of how to build an atomic bomb in libraries (imagine my sixth-grade surprise to discover this while writing a report on Robert Oppenheimer!), and you can probably find out how to make crystal meth, too. Here, a relevant factor is that it's not outright forbidden to make a gun, but rather it's forbidden to make a gun without a permit. That immediately makes things easier for the Sten plans distributor.

The plans (.pdf warning!) look to be 24 pages; if you printed them front-and-back and then half-sized them, we're talking about six pages. NRA mailers are about that size anyway.
    IANAL. TINLA. BYOB.
    You can't spell "B.O.H.I.C.A." without B.H.O.

Oleg, stop dragging common sense into this ...

Consider that they must charge more because they won't be able to afford re-stocking otherwise.
    Recently, in my town (Seattle), a couple of expensive property-tax increases passed as part of the recent election to pay millions of dollars toward the parks department (the "just this once" money they asked for a few years back evidently wasn't just that once) and to help support the very nice (publically owned) Pike Place Market, which will add at least hundreds of dollars to the tax bill of average owners. I like parks, and I like the Market, but it becomes a very expensive club to join, when other people get to volunteer you into it.

A lot of people who rent their places but who were in favor of the ban are very upset that their landlords have told them that the price will be reflected in future rents. It's a cost, and renting is a business.

Before anyone gets upset about "price gouging" on guns, I would invite them to listen to the (ultra-droll) Mike Munger talk about the realities of "price gouging" at econtalk.org -- http://www.econtalk.org/archives/200...n_price_1.html

Remember that high(er) prices mean that stores have a good incentive to increase their stock, as they're able to. If dealers were unable to increase their prices to reflect increased demand / lower supply (two faces, one coin), even if it's because they're just super nice, then as Oleg says, they'll be unable -- or in some cases, just less able -- to afford restocking, or larger orders with attendant larger discounts.

I like bargains, and am a little shell-shocked by the cost of guns right now, but ... I wonder, could anyone provide a constant-dollar timeline of, just for simplicity, the cost of AR-15s over the past 20 years? I think a decent (albeit low-end) one can be put together of all new parts right now (even if the parts you want specifically are actually backordered) for something under $800, and perhaps quite a bit lower depending on how long you're willing to scrounge for bargains.

Using the constant-dollar calculator at http://www.minneapolisfed.org/, it seems that the 1980 equivalent of $800 today was about $306 dollars; would it have been anything like possible to buy an AR-15 style rifle for $306 then? (Honest question -- in 1980, I was busy going to 1st grade.) Such comparisons have plenty of places to fall down, I realize -- for instance, I'd probably prefer current production (2008) guns to 1980 production, and "constant dollars" are only constant in the aggregate. Individual products, especially ones subject to political whims the way guns are, can occupy a pretty different part of the wave.

Ignoring those details, by the way, and risking a completely meaningless comparison, $800 of 1980 dollars would be about $2080 today. While it's easily possibly to spend $2000+ on an AR, I'm glad it's not a necessity.

Cheers,

timothy

That's true to a point Oleg but there are many blatant cases of price gouging. Like cheaper than dirt (if dirt is made of gold) on their 7.62X39 ammo going over $500 a case as soon as the election results were known.
    Sic semper tyrannis

AntiqueCollector --

What is price gouging? And what is the proper price for a case of 7.62x39? I'm sure that Cheaper Than Dirt is *not* interested in picking a price they think won't move merchandise from their shelves.

timothy

I am going to be honest with you. I have shot those m16s until I was blue in the face. I shot them for 20 years. Fantstic rifles, everyone of them. Never had a jam. I never felt I should own one until just shortly because I personally felt I wouldn't be able to own one without paying through the nose.
    So I bought a DPMS for $680.00 Basic for what it is and felt comfortable about buying it.
    Call me stupid or getting on the bandwagon. We experienced these AWBs before and I am not going to sit by while another one comes in. If another AWB hits I have one of the best platforms you can lay your hands on.
    That little bullet can square off and hit a target at 300 meters with no problem. I can attest to it.
    It is my choice still to defend the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic even after the military.