Thread: Baton Rouge news- "Gun sales double"

Baton Rouge news- "Gun sales double"

WBRZ channel 2 in Baton Rouge reported last night-
    Gun sales have doubled since the election, many say because of fear of restrictions that come with a Democratic president.
    video at-
    http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/34264844.html

Gun shop employee said that suppliers are telling them that he can place orders but they may not be filled until June or even December 2009.

Administrator   
    Only double...around here, they were up 30x on post-election day!
    Oleg Volk
    A Human Right | Blog

I hit up a few gun shops in Baton Rouge last Saturday and its a madhouse. If it looks evil, its flying off the shelves.

Nothing like making them all "in common use!"

More now from The Advocate-
    source http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/343...?showAll=y&c=y
    BR gun stores see sales spike
    By CHAD CALDER
    Advocate business writer
    Published: Nov 12, 2008 - UPDATED: 12:05 a.m.
    Comments (0)

Baton Rouge gun stores are seeing the same spike in weapons sales as their national counterparts.
    They attribute the increase to president-elect Obama’s position on gun control issues and the questions opponents raised about his motives and his fitness to be president.

Jim McClain, of Jim’s Firearms, on Siegen Lane, said business is up 30 percent from people buying the semi-automatic weapons and high-capacity clips subject to the federal assault weapons ban, which was in effect from 1994 to 2004.

McClain said Obama is on record supporting reinstating the ban, and that a number of semiautomatic weapons popular with law-abiding gun enthusiasts were included in the ban, particularly the AR-15.

“People have a legitimate concern for the next four years of losing our Second Amendment rights for certain types of firearms,” McClain said.

Randall Dupont, gun department manager at Bowie Outfitters, said sales of so-called “black guns” — they lack the brown coloration common on shotguns and hunting rifles — have doubled during the past three weeks.

“They’re scared six months from now they won’t have the choice to buy them,” he said.

McClain said the increase is second only to the spike he saw after Hurricane Katrina, which spawned news reports of riots and looting and displaced many New Orleans residents to Baton Rouge.

McClain said the buying is also fueled by a general sense of unease among many, with the financial crisis, instability the Middle East and Russia and “a president-elect that makes a lot of people uneasy.”

“They’re looking for things that make them feel secure,” he said.

McClain said this unease is fueled by charges — some leveled by the McCain/Palin campaign directly and others that circulated on the Internet — that Obama, who is Christian, is a Muslim, has ties to terrorists and is insufficiently patriotic.

“It makes people uneasy about the future of our free country,” he said, “myself included.”

McClain said he’s not one to believe every conspiracy theory, but added “there is some question as to how our president-elect is going to handle our national security, and that’s an important issue.”

Dupont said he thinks the surge stems only from the gun control issue.

“People are just scared they’re going to get banned,” he said.

Under the earlier ban, assault weapons already in circulation could continue to be sold, but new guns with a large-capacity magazine accommodating more than 10 bullets could not have more than two combat-style features, including pistol grips for faster firing, a flash suppressor, a collapsible stock or a bayonet mount.

The ban applied to 19 semiautomatic weapons, which fire one round each time the trigger is pulled and automatically reload.

Critics of the law — gun owners, dealers and the gun lobby — charge the ban was purely cosmetic and only hurt consumers by limiting what they could buy and driving up the cost of the guns that had already been produced. They contend the ban didn’t keep guns out of the hands of criminals.

The ban’s supporters — public safety advocates and a number of law enforcement agencies — say the ban is moderate, sensible legislation that doesn’t fundamentally threaten Americans’ Second Amendment rights. While not a cure-all, they say it played a significant role in lowering crime while it was in effect.

The Republican-controlled Congress let the ban lapse in 2004, but a Democratic Congress and a Democrat in the White House could reinstitute it.

Seven states — New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, California and Hawaii — have their own bans on assault weapons.

Doubled? They didn't check Pops Guns in Indy. I took my girlfriend there for a casual shoot yesterday. Wednesday's are slow, and easy there........Well they have been for the past three years.

HOLY COW! It was packed. There were even two of the employees wives working. One just doing phones, the other paperwork.

including pistol grips for faster firing
    I Didn't know that.
    Speedy, AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy" NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV
    I don't have NEAR enough ammo!

At least they are telling the real reason. Most of the local and national news reports I heard were attributing it to people being "concerned about crime". I didn't know whether to laugh or yell at the TV. Yeah, the most anti-gun president in the history of the country gets elected, gun sales go through the roof, and it must just be that everyone is suddenly concerned about crime. mmhmm.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Benjamin Franklin

the only difference between my recent gun purchases and the 'obama' gun purchase spike is I bought my last gun in 2006.

I'm not done with ammo & reloading supplies, though.

I'd suggest serious budget analysis and appropriate purchases stat, if you're amenable to advice from a nervous type..

Wow. Kinda makes me wish I owned a gun shop right about now...
    Some people like seven grain bread . . . I like 230 grain lead.