Thread: New Smith

New Smith

Well, new to me anyway. Picked up this 66-3 on trade today, and I am very pleased. The 2 1/2" K frames, particularly the model 19's have long been a favorite of mine, but this is my first 66. It came with the original magnas as well as the rubber boot grips that are on it, though I think maybe it needs a nice dark set of smooth wood grips to really set it off.

The sights are always aligned, you are out of alignment.

Shoot what you carry, carry what you shoot.

Nice lookin and a Smith should serve you well.
    Some day my children will have a lot of guns and that will bring a smile to my face.

The snubby 66s have a way of growing on you. My 2.5" 66-4 has become one of my favorite carry guns ... Although I am not particularly fond of the Uncle Mike's rubber grips, they are good at the range. I do like Ahrend's finger-groove cocobolos on my K-frames the best, though.
    Will

Everything I know about cops, their respect for the citizens of this country and its Constitution, as well as the state of policing in this country ... I learned from the Internet.

The 66's are fine revolvers. With heavy use of heavy magnum loads they (as other K frames) will loosen up.

Only down side is that the 2 1/2 ejector stroke is just a tad short of clearing the cylinder and you can occasionally get a spent cartridge or 2 to hang up.

Mine I sent to Cylinder and Slide and had the cylinder cut for moon clips and the cylinder walls had a light chamfer and hone job as well. Works great, loads fast.

Been a dependable backup and primary for many years.

As for the grips ... there are some really nice wood grips, but many of the smooth finish are a little slippery ... so you need to balance between form and function.
    The ONLY thing certain in life is DEATH. Live each day to its' FULLEST!

Since I have large hands, I prefer the Gripper grips over the stock Smith grips.

Dang that's a pretty gun. I wonder what silly person traded that to you...
    Proud to be a veteran. (USAF retired)

When you lose your right to self-determination, through legislation or taxation, servitude is soon to follow - NGIB

Quote Originally Posted by NGIB
    Dang that's a pretty gun. I wonder what silly person traded that to you...
    Some guy that had spent a career in the Air Force, so clearly he didn't have his head screwed on straight.

Yeah, those Air Force guys are very weird...
    Proud to be a veteran. (USAF retired)

When you lose your right to self-determination, through legislation or taxation, servitude is soon to follow - NGIB

Another vote for 66 snubby

I've had a 66-3 snubby for several years and it has become one of my favorites:

Hey.... I am an old wierd Air Force guy (56-60) but I didn't trade off my 66-1 P&R

Great lookin guns!! VHinch, get ya a Tyler T-Grip adapter (chrome) and slap those magnas on there! She'll be ready to turn heads! I love my Model66.. Unfortunately I've not been able to find any "original" wood grips for it.. I like the rubber grip it came with, but something about those old wooden grips just turn me on.. Congrats on the new piece!!
    Mick

Update for some new pics. Found the grips I was looking for to dress this one up a little.

Good for you! I hope that we can enjoy our revolvers for many years to come. For myself, I prefer stainless with red -- like coco bolo heartwood. These are from hogue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If the sun's up, you still have a pulse and background radiation levels are nominal -- everything else is gravy! ChAir Force Specialty Code 1825K // My oath to "defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic" has no DOS. . . .