Thread: luckiest woman alive

luckiest woman alive

so many lessons here, but i think the most important one is that people who say "muggers won't kill you if they get what they're after" are full of you-know-what

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27665822/

Big purse saves college student from bullet
    Don't knock those trendy, oversized purses — they could save your life

TODAY staff and wire
    updated 9:06 a.m. ET, Wed., Nov. 12, 2008

Elizabeth Pittenger knew that if a mugger points a gun at you, you should give him whatever he wants. But when she came face-to-muzzle with a .38, adrenaline overwhelmed judgment. She fought back.

Fortunately for the 22-year-old college student, her junk-stuffed handbag got in the way of a bullet.

“Having a gun pointed right in my face was the scariest moment I’ve ever dealt with,” Pittenger told TODAY’s Matt Lauer Wednesday from Nashville, Tenn. “The only thing I could do was put up a struggle.”

'My ears were ringing’
    Pittenger had just finished a personal finance test last Thursday evening at Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro, Tenn., and had gotten in her truck to drive home when she was accosted by a mugger with a gun. She was talking on her cell phone with her sister, and the man demanded the phone and her laptop.

He grabbed for her cell phone, and Pittenger got out of her truck and started struggling with her assailant as she yelled for help. On her shoulder was her oversized leather handbag stuffed with the necessities of life.

The mugger finally wrested the phone from Pittenger’s hand, took a couple of steps back and raised the gun. From a distance of only about 4 feet, he fired one shot.

“I remember hearing a shot and my ears were ringing,” Pittenger told Lauer. “I realized that was actually a bullet that was just fired from his gun. I kind of looked down to see if I’d been shot anywhere. My adrenaline was going so hard I probably wouldn’t have even felt it if I had been hit.”

The mugger took off running. Campus police, who heard the shot, quickly responded and apprehended a suspect nearby. Police also found a .38-caliber pistol that had been tossed under a car.

The suspect, Orlando Edmiston, 20, was charged with attempted murder, attempted armed robbery and possession of a weapon on school property. He was being held on $32,500 bond and faced a preliminary hearing Wednesday.

Startling discovery
    Pittenger accompanied police to the station to give a statement. She also looked in her purse, and what she saw shocked her.

“The first thing I pulled out was actually a calculator that a friend had let me borrow,” she told Lauer. “It was completely destroyed from the bullet; also an umbrella and a sunglass case had taken the bullet as well. Fragments of the bullet were in the bottom of my purse.”

That’s when the realization struck Pittenger: “It could have been me instead of the purse. It’s a scary feeling.”

An inspection of the bag showed a hole in the end where the bullet entered it.

Lauer asked Pittenger, who works as a surrogate court clerk, if she had heard the advice about not putting up a fight when confronted by a lethal weapon.

She said she had, “but at the same time, I’ve been saying that you never know how you’re going to react when you’re faced with a situation like that.”

Pittenger had to get a new handbag, as the one she was carrying has been kept as evidence, along with the destroyed calculator, the umbrella with a shattered handle and the sunglasses case with a bullet impression in it.

The friend who loaned Pittenger the calculator said she need not buy a replacement.

Lauer asked the student if she has filled her new bag with even more stuff than the one that saved her life.

“I’ve kept about the same amount in there,” she said. She laughed when Lauer jokingly offered her a souvenir of her interview: a “Kevlar TODAY Show coffee mug to put in there.”

—Mike Celizic, with reporting by the Associated Press

$32,500 bond for attempted murder!! HO-CHEE-MAMA!!
    Charter member PWU (Pud Whackers Unanimous!)

.38 Special isn't exactly renowned for it's impressive ballistic performance...
    "Training errors are recorded on paper. Tactical errors are etched in stone." -Erwin Rommel
    Explanations exist: they have existed for all times, for there is always an easy solution to every problem — neat, plausible and wrong. - H.L. Mencken

yes that is one of the lessons. but in a defensive situation, no reasonable person would trust a handbag to stop a 38 special, which is why she's lucky.

Lauer asked Pittenger, who works as a surrogate court clerk, if she had heard the advice about not putting up a fight when confronted by a lethal weapon.
    Thereby implying that the guy would not have shot her if she cooperated.
    Eloi-- Tastes Like Chicken

If you will notice the story, he shot her AFTER he got what he wanted and was leaving.

Not only are they suggesting he might not have shot her if she gave him what he wanted, what happened is DIRECTLY contrary to their supposition.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    - C.S. Lewis

about this shooting thing.lots of years ago,when it wasn't so popular to "pop a cap in everybody" saw a LEO interview about muggers/burglers ect. and the chance of being shot.at the time ,law enforcement thinking was."chances are"you won't be shot at.but,if you are,"chances are" you won't be hit.but if you are,"chances are"it won't be fatal. jwr

Interesting, but, obviously, fiction. It's not physically possible to possess a firearm on a school campus, or in a "gun free" zone. This is clearly a thinly veiled attempt to sell large purses.

Interesting, but, obviously, fiction. It's not physically possible to possess a firearm on a school campus, or in a "gun free" zone.
    Dang it, you stole the words right off my keyboard!

"Gun free zones: where all the smart muggers shop."
    "Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place." - Frederic Bastiat, The Law

Ok, you take the next one. You can even have a big purse full of normal, everyday stuff.

Not me, no thanks! .22's can and have killed. I agree, she was dang lucky!

Understand that they are selling Kevlar lined purses and portfolios/briefcases, laptop bags, etc. Supposedly, even as expensive as some of them are they are selling well.

Guess this will go well with the jackets that have been marketed for the past year or two.
    The ONLY thing certain in life is DEATH. Live each day to its' FULLEST!

She was talking on her cell phone with her sister, and the man demanded the phone and her laptop.
    Situational awareness failure. Tactically speaking she left the relative safety of a 4000lb weapon and didn't do a sweep before exiting.
    I aim to misbehave.

http://ConcealedCampus.org

It just wasn't that girls time to go...........
    Freedom ain't free...........

all stick with my Compact CCW they can keep there kevlar laptop cases
    Some day my children will have a lot of guns and that will bring a smile to my face.

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    If it hadn't been for that purse full of junk that bullet would have entered soft flesh and easily have penetrates small ribs. If it hadn't killed her she would at the very least be in the hospital for quite a while, have a permanent physical scar and a mental one that would affect her more than the physical one. I believe large purses, heavy book bags and lap tops are the modern day maces if the owner has a mind to use them. A walking stick is better and a gun better yet but until the highly educated morons administering our educational system smell the coffee students will always be soft targets. Its a strange society that where the protection of the gun is most needed the innocent are the ones deprived of the means to defend themselves.
    1934 – National Firearms Act, 1968 – The Gun Control Act, 1986 – Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 – Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 – Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 – Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING