Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real Life SHTF -- and what are you going to do?

Real Life SHTF -- and what are you going to do?

[Far to long to post in its entirety, but here's the important part]

...most people will survive the next influenza pandemic, which some public health experts believe is past due. It's not a question of "if," it's a question of "when," and one study from Harvard University estimates that the pandemic will kill somewhere between 51 million and 81 million people...

In a study published in the current journal Biosecurity and Bioterrorism, Kass and her colleagues argue that a pandemic could precipitate societal collapse on many levels, threatening the availability of resources "such as food, water, and gasoline."

Some day, perhaps soon, a president will have to decide whose lives are the most important to save, and whose lives are "nonessential."

In a Pandemic, Who Gets to Live?

[So... where do YOU fall on that food chain... and how will the people without guns even survive the first week?]

funny you edited this from end of first paragraph
    "51 million and 81 million people, mostly in developing countries. "

and on the last page
    "The Harvard University study extrapolated the number of deaths during the 1918-20 pandemic to the worldwide population in 2004. It estimates that 62 million persons would die each year from the pandemic. About 96 percent would be in developing countries. "

I was taught that in the event of a flu pandemic the way to combat it is to stay home for a day or two and let the epidemic pass.
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

funny thats what i was taught to do in a variety of situations.

I was taught that in the event of a flu pandemic the way to combat it is to stay home for a day or two and let the epidemic pass.
    There are a couple strategies that have been discussed. One is to stay home and ride it out. The other is to round everyone up to better facilitate isolation and containment of the sick and resource allocation for the rest. The first is the smart plan, the latter is what some agencies want to do.

Am I gonna shoot the virus?

and how will the people without guns even survive the first week?
    How does owning a gun help me not get the flu?

I'm surprised we're this far into this and no one's mentioned simply getting a flu shot!
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

There should be (and I hope there is) a plan to close

hhe gates to this country on a moments notice. To shut down ports and airports. Turn planes around or quartentine the pasengers. A pandemic will be much more devestating to the third world.

First thing I would do is get out of any sort of city or even suburban areas. Ride it out away from everyone if you can. Now being unattached that's easy, but for those that have family to care about that might be tough.

If it started spreading here I think my primary plan would be to stay home. I can work from home most of the time, and have enough supplies to stay in my apartment for a month or so if I needed to, except that my dogs need to go out. Other than that, take care of yourself healthwise so you're not more susceptible than others, and try to stay out of Southeast Asia and other places most likely to get the ball rolling.

I'm surprised we're this far into this and no one's mentioned simply getting a flu shot!
    There are problems with expecting to rely on vaccines, mostly due to production and mutation issues. Wiki gives a good overview of the situation with H5N1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_vaccine#H5N1. It would be good to have alternate plans because vaccine supplies would almost certainly be very limited.
    "Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place." - Frederic Bastiat, The Law

http://www.swissminigun.ch/home.html
    for the inevitable which caliber for virus post
    Ok, so here were my options. (a), quickly duck left, dodge the claw and take him out with a spinning back kick, or (b), take the claw in the face, roll on the ground and die.
    Hmm, Should have gone with (a)

That may work if the flu variant is sufficiently similar to one for which the vaccine is effective. Unfortunately, the vaccines are based on the makers best guess as to what will be the most dangerous strand for the upcoming year. Sometimes those very educated guesses are flat wrong, or Mother Nature has a tantrum and throws a new strain out.

51 million and 81 million people...
    What's worldwide population now? 6 billion? Not bad odds -- I'll take my chances.
    "Whom have I in heaven but you
    And beside you I desire nothing on earth." --PS 73

I've got mine this year.

What's worldwide population now? 6 billion? Not bad odds -- I'll take my chances.
    I think I will too.

Umm! (tongue in cheek) Wasn't there a character called Chicken Licken who ran around shouting that the sky was falling?

I guess the government must be chicken little too since it has a web site dedicated to all the ramifications if the avian flu makes the genetic leap to human-to-human infection.

http://www.pandemicflu.gov/plan/individual/index.html

The planning checklist suggests a two week supply of food and water.

funny you edited this from end of first paragraph
    "51 million and 81 million people, mostly in developing countries. "
    Somehow I don't think the "president" they were discussing in the first paragraph was the president of Zimbwaway...

So what kind of disruption do you think we'll have in the U.S. with "only" two or three million dead?

The gunowners in New Orleans still got the same flooding as their non-gunowning neighbors but those that were able to hang onto their guns were, imho, in a better position than that those that didn't have guns in the first place.

Your opinion may differ.

so when the next door neighbor comes over are we planning on gunning em down at the property line?

so when the next door neighbor comes over are we planning on gunning em down at the property line?
    Isn't that pretty much an "anytime" question?

I don't think I would "gun down" a neighbor who came over to borrow a cup of sugar, but I certain would a neighbor who came over to rape my wife.

And if society is breaking down around us if he's coming over to steal my food because I had the foresight to put some away and he was the grasshopper... well, you do what you think is best for your family and I'll take care of mine.

Fill up your shotgun with flu shot! Then your SHTF situation would go like this:

Imminent flu victim 1: Look, there's the flu!
    Imminent flu victim 2: IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR US!!!
    BOOOM!!
    No more flu.
    What we really need to do is crack down on car dealers who sell cars to drunk drivers ...

Woohooo IBTL it will be on its way!

i guess i'm lucky to have the kinda neighbors i like.

i guess i'm lucky to have the kinda neighbors i like.
    It's easy to have the "kinda neighbors one likes" when things are going well.

And I hear the BTK Serial Killer in Kansas was the kinda neighbor who'd give you the shirt off his back if you needed one.

1) Well, you may get one flu shot (or you may get a few of the shot), but there are quadrillions more where those came from!

2) Real answer: What others have already said -- flu shots are not useless, but they're based on guesswork. Intelligent guesswork by smart folks, but nothing like a guarantee.

timothy