Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Registration-What's the point?

Gun Registration-What's the point?

What are anti-gunners hoping to accomplish by pushing for gun registration? How is that supposed to do anything about crime? The only think I can think of is that if a gun is stolen the police will be able to find out who the lawful owner is and return it to them. As far as I can see, it wouldn't have any effect on either stopping violent crime or tracking down criminals (unless maybe the legal owner commits a crime with the gun and leaves it at the scene?).
    -Joe

Administrator   
    If a gun is stolen, its owner can declare it stolen to police and his insurance company. Registration is not necessary for that.

Registration is used primarily for confiscation at a later date.
    Oleg Volk
    A Human Right | Blog

Registration is used primarily for confiscation at a later date.
    I know that's the most likely actual end result, but theoretically, what are they trying to accomplish?
    -Joe

Any crook worth his salt will steal a car to use in a crime, just like he'd steal a gun to use in a crime. Registration of either only tells you where the criminal's been, not necessarily who he is.
    "Stupid is as stupid does"

Registration is to:
    -Know who owns guns
    -Confiscation
    -Civilian control
    -Random searches to see if you store your guns/ammo correctly

And my favorite, to get guns out of our streets.
    Here in Canada we got gun control in 1997, since then hundreds of gun owners herd the door rigning, it was an inspection officer (when you have 10+ guns you are more likely to) ans if your guns/ammo are not stored properly, there is cash and or prison to come, here it's:
    -Guns in the safe, unloaded, locked
    -ammo in another lockable compartment, of course locked
    -exposed guns must be unloaded, locked/inoperable.
    Since in the U.S. you don't have such laws, if Obama comes to registration, it will be a matter of millions, if not billions, and everything I just said.
    Warning; this post may contain text matter not suitable for the weak-minded or immature thinker. Reader's discretion is advised.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vapid moon-eyed slackjawed lefty: "But we register cars, why not guns?"

Defender of Liberty: "But cars are not instruments of political freedom. By that logic, we register cars, why not votes?"

I'm not ranting, just concise

I don't doubt the problems of gun registration as described - it's being done in Canada, has been done in prewar Germany and many other countries, and was tried in America by the British.

Knowing where the guns are imposes government oversight into the American home. The Washington DC gun ban specifically made an operable gun loaded in the home a crime, when actually most owners use them to prevent crime.

Therefore, any attempt at home oversight is in direct opposition to the government's purpose - to prevent evil. By insisting guns be unloaded and locked up, home invaders are prone to break in, not be deterred.

Most gun registration schemes come from upper socio-economic levels who do not have crime as a constant factor in their life. For those who earn less cash flow, their neighborhood, stores, and even their workplace is much less secure. However, to those that propose, actual crime is not a problem, so they continue to push for a utopian solution that has never worked historically, and has almost always required gunfire to cure.

Not many peaceful revolutions that actually give power to the citizen are on record.

The best prevention of a Civil War is to continue to educate citizens and oppose gun control. America is the only example of a country where can do this - and the only with public ownership of firearms. They go hand in hand - free speech and the guarantee of it.

Ask German Jews, Poles in Warsaw, or Chinese students in Tienenman Square how their free speech was protected.

Originally posted by jpruitt:
    I know that's the most likely actual end result, but theoretically, what are they trying to accomplish?
    You miss the point...

Theoretically, and actually, they want to set the stage for confiscation. That's really what they're trying to accomplish.

What you're really asking about is what excuses and lies are they using to support registration...

Forrest

What you're really asking about is what excuses and lies are they using to support registration...
    Yes, what are the supposed "legitimate" reasons for registration. Although I don't think all gun control proponents who push for registration are the sinister type who see it as a step toward confisctation. I believe some of them are just the woefully ignorant type, and it is these I am asking about. What advantages do they think registration will provide?
    -Joe

They are trying to accomplish the confiscation of all privately owned firearms.

Yes.
    Warning; this post may contain text matter not suitable for the weak-minded or immature thinker. Reader's discretion is advised.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by jpruitt
    I believe some of them are just the woefully ignorant type, and it is these I am asking about. What advantages do they think registration will provide?
    They are the same types of people that seek to ban barrel shrouds, and admit that they haven't a clue what it is but might be the shoulder thing that goes up(Carolyn McCarthy). Barrel shrouds have been in the previous bans that she copied and pasted text from. They don't do it because it decreases crime but because that's what the dude before them put in his gun ban.

The original person who promoted gun registration did so to aid in confiscation. Then there are some lesser Joe's that come along and may not do it for that purpose, but because it fits into the general anti-gun plan they subscribe to.

What are anti-gunners hoping to accomplish by pushing for gun registration? How is that supposed to do anything about crime? The only think I can think of is that if a gun is stolen the police will be able to find out who the lawful owner is and return it to them. As far as I can see, it wouldn't have any effect on either stopping violent crime or tracking down criminals (unless maybe the legal owner commits a crime with the gun and leaves it at the scene?).
    Canada has had handgun registration since 1934.(Artiz may correct me).
    I read an article about a year ago that when the RCMP were asked, how many crimes had been solved by the '34 laws enactment,the answer was "zero" in 73 years.
    Again, it's all about confiscation.

es, what are the supposed "legitimate" reasons for registration. Although I don't think all gun control proponents who push for registration are the sinister type who see it as a step toward confisctation. I believe some of them are just the woefully ignorant type, and it is these I am asking about. What advantages do they think registration will provide?
    I think they are called useful idiots when they advance the cause. They probably think there will be peace, love, rainbows, and ponies if the rednecks and gangbangers don't have guns.
    No, holding that venegence upon their enemies was more to be desired than any personal blessings, and reckoning this to be the most glorious of hazards, they joyfully determined to accept the risk... Thus, choosing to die resisting, rather than to live submitting, they fled only from dishonor... Pericles' Funeral Oration

I don't think the anti-gun crowd's sole purported purpose is gun confiscation. Otherwise they would never present registration as a "common-sense" measure, since no gun owner would think that confiscation was common-sense. I want to know why THEY are telling US it is important or useful.
    -Joe

Gun control is not about guns. It is about CONTROL.
    Lew Wallace was an optimist.

I want my country back!

The purpose of gun registration is to facilitate later gun confiscation.

Quote Originally Posted by Artiz
    Registration is to:
    -Know who owns guns
    As in, "Major Strasser has been shot. Round up the usual suspects." If he was shot with a .38, round up everyone with .38s.

The references above to the Vichy and the Nazis are not idle ones.

jpruitt;

"I want to know why THEY are telling US it is important or useful."

Sir, you misunderstand, they don't give a rat's rosy red rectum about the gun owner's feelings, ideology, or reaction, to the matter. The message is to the majority, the people who are willing to confirm the restrictions by either compliance or apathy. The people who will not understand the propoganda, or buy into it.

It is quite possible that we are in the opening stages of a propoganda war in this matter. Gun owner's are not in a good position you understand. Since the 1950's the conservative element owning media outlets have sold them to liberals. The elements of telling the big lie & telling it often & loudly enough have been known for decades.

Gun owner's are in the minority now. The NRA has under 3 million members, the population of this country is approximately 300 million persons. Exceedingly few media outlets put forth the conservative ideology these days. And has so recently been overwhelmingly proven, the majority of the people will go with the media flow.

Get the picture? You don't count. We the gun owner's don't count. Getting the proper message to the sheeple counts.

900F
    Birth Certificate? What birth certificate? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!

I understand the question, as being asked by the OP ....

Notwithstanding the actual reason for a gun registration, and not including why the authors of such legislation or requirement really want a registration .... what 'reason' or 'rationale' could the anti-gun libs cite as a 'logical' reason as to why it would be necessary?

The fact is that there is no reason to know where every legally owned firearm (or handgun) is.
    Knowing where a firearm is located is not helpful to the law enforcement community if that firearm has not yet been used in a crime.

If the firearm owner is the subject of a crime in a burglary, then he will be reporting the firearm as being stolen at that time and need not be on any pre-existing list.

The only logical reason I can see to have a list of "who has, and where they are" type list of firearms is that: "If a firearm is used in a crime, and then it is left behind at the scene - then it can be traced back to a suspect if it were properly registered." That logic assumes that a firearm was properly registered, used by the registered owner, and left at the scene.

To me, that accounts for a very small portion of crime.

So - I cannot see any rationale that the anti's could use to try to put forth as a reasonable reason to need such legislation.

Hello all,
    Whisperfan wrote:
    "The only logical reason I can see to have a list of "who has, and where they are" type list of firearms is that: "If a firearm is used in a crime, and then it is left behind at the scene - then it can be traced back to a suspect if it were properly registered." That logic assumes that a firearm was properly registered, used by the registered owner, and left at the scene.

To me, that accounts for a very small portion of crime.

So - I cannot see any rationale that the anti's could use to try to put forth as a reasonable reason to need such legislation."

Hey everbody, the liberals don't need a reason to HATE guns they just do.

They don't operate on logic either, with them it's all emotion and they don't give a rats --- about crime either. It's about controlling the sheeple.

And don't forget with the anti's there is no difference between someone who goes out and commits mass murder with a gun and you.
    Happy shooting.
    Scott5

I wouldn't say confiscation is the purpose of registration requirements. It's just another barrier that the anti-gun crowd likes to toss in our way and they can sell it to the public with the lie that it'll help solve crime.

Unfortunately the only thing it's good for is later facilitating a complete ban (machine guns, DC handguns, Chicago handguns, Australia Handguns, UK handguns, Canada some weapons) simply by shutting down the registry.

Later on you just round 'em up after they're further outlawed.

Anybody here object to our government collecting census data beyond how many people live in your house? If you do you're strongly in the minority. Folks don't have a problem "registering" themselves and they don't see any reason why we shouldn't register our guns.

Nevermind that in the 20th century we saw a horrid abuse of census data.

Believe me, I am not in favor of a National Gun Registration scheme.

I was trying to think of what reasons the anti's would use (even if they weren't true) to try to sell this to the rest of the Nation.

It increases the degree of government control and allows for the "reasonable" taxation of each firearm. Everything else we register, such as cars, boats, trailers, includes a tax as part of the process. Registration of 200 million guns with a $100/gun annual tax would bring in $20 billion a year to the government. Of course if you would fail to re-register each year and pay the tax you would have your gun confidscated.

...theoretically, what are they trying to accomplish?
    Control for the sake of control, plus confiscation on the installment plan.
    No tyrant should ever be allowed to die a natural death.