Thread: NRA Refuses to Pay on Life Insurance Policy

NRA Refuses to Pay on Life Insurance Policy

I have been a life member of the NRA since the mid-1980s. My brother-in-law was an Endowment member. In June, he committed suicide with a firearm. His wife had left him after having an affair with their church pastor. Because of the way the courts work, the wife got the kids, anyway. The only life insurance he had was through the NRA. It was the $10,000 policy offered to all members. The NRA refused to pay because his death was termed a suicide. I wrote a letter to Wayne LaPierre, and sent it certified mail. I pleaded with Mr. LaPierre to pay off on the life insurance policy. He completely ignored me. That $10,000 was nothing to the NRA, but it would have made a world of difference to his new wife and his adopted kids. I want Mr. LaPierre to know that the NRA will never get another dime from me. Most life insurance policies pay after two years, no matter if the death IS ruled a suicide. I guess Mr. Pierre needed that $10,000 for hotel rooms and gala dinners across the country.

The next time the NRA sends you a request for money, remember how they reneged on an Endowment member's family.

You do realize that the NRA insurance is provided via a contract with an insurance provider, and that the terms and conditions of that insurance is set by that provider as well as disseminated to the membership, don't you?

While I feel for your family, and recognize how angry you are, it really isn't the NRA's, or Wayne LaPierre's, fault.

Exclusions:
    This program is intended to provide coverage for accidents, and is not intended to cover any loss resulting from: Suicide; self-inflicted injury, while sane or insane; sickness, disease, bodily or mental infirmity or medical or surgical treatment thereof, or bacterial or viral infection; use of any drugs or chemical substances not prescribed or taken as directed by a doctor; loss while driving intoxicated or under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance; war or act of war (declared or undeclared); commission or attempt to commit a felony; participation in a riot or insurrection; travel or flight in any aircraft (including getting in or out, on or off) being used for test or experimental purposes, by or for any military authority; insureds are not covered if they are serving as a pilot or crew member or while they are hang-gliding, parasailing, or parachuting; participation in any organized race or speed contest; loss occurring more than 1 year after a covered accident.
    Lew Wallace was an optimist.

I want my country back!

I understand your anger and I am sorry for your loss.

It seems though that you have a beef with the insurance company that market's their policies through the NRA, not necessarially the NRA. Insurance is a strict thing. Sad to say, but he was outside the policy and there is not a lot of debate over that.

Best of luck.

I hate that this happened to you and will be praying for your family, but here are the exclusions clear as day:

Exclusions:
    This program is intended to provide coverage for accidents, and is not intended to cover any loss resulting from: Suicide; self-inflicted injury, while sane or insane; sickness, disease, bodily or mental infirmity or medical or surgical treatment thereof, or bacterial or viral infection; use of any drugs or chemical substances not prescribed or taken as directed by a doctor; loss while driving intoxicated or under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance; war or act of war (declared or undeclared); commission or attempt to commit a felony; participation in a riot or insurrection; travel or flight in any aircraft (including getting in or out, on or off) being used for test or experimental purposes, by or for any military authority; insureds are not covered if they are serving as a pilot or crew member or while they are hang-gliding, parasailing, or parachuting; participation in any organized race or speed contest; loss occurring more than 1 year after a covered accident.

Wow, didn't get that in quick enough. Sorry for the double post!

Most life insurance policies pay after two years, no matter if the death IS ruled a suicide.
    Very sad but I don't know of a life insurance policy out there that will pay up for suicide.
    Last edited by ZeSpectre; November 13th, 2008 at 12:27 PM.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

I am very sorry for the tragic circumstances. But, this is not the fault of the NRA, or even the insurance company that underwrites the insurance.

Suicide is universally excluded from coverage--for obvious and good reasons.

K
    Whoever claims the right to redistribute the wealth produced by others is claiming the right to treat human beings as chattel. Ayn Rand

Join and support the NRA.

Sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers.
    NRA life member, Support Our Troops,
    Pointman Ministries Member
    MMCDC Member

Sorry for your loss. Sad story.

Don't blame the NRA though - Life insurance policies almost never pay for suicides. And the NRA one is an accidental death policy - very limited. i.e. heart attacks = no payout.

You are essentially asking for money you are not entitled to.

Fun fact - many life insurance policies also do not pay out for deaths resulting from: hang gliding, scuba diving and now even skiing . . . . READ THE FINE PRINT.

And if you are the family breadwinner you may want to check your coverage before you go skiing.

Insurance companies are in business to make money. No one should buy a policy unless they fully understand what is and what is not covered.

As previously mentioned the policy you refer to is an "Accidental Death" policy with a lot of exclusions.

I feel for your loss, but we can not take the NRA or the insurance company to task as the terms are right up front.
    The ONLY thing certain in life is DEATH. Live each day to its' FULLEST!

I am truly sorry for your loss.

I used to be in the life insurance biz:

1. That's an "Accidental Death" policy. As the exclusions above show, any cause of death other than an accident won't pay off. Also, as the above posters said, it's a big (cheap) group policy offered by an insurance company and paid for out of NRA dues. If it covered all types of death, it would cost a lot more. These cheap accident policies are found all over -- group memberships, AAA, some credit cards, etc. The reason they are so popular is that they don't really cost much because, statistically speaking, very few people die in accidents compared to natural causes.

2. Life policies will indeed pay off on suicides. I don't know how these urban legends get started. What they won't pay on is suicides within an exclusionary period. The company I worked for had a one-year exclusionary period, and the state mandated a two-year period. This means that for the first year of the policy, it would not pay on a suicide, but after that it would. This also generally applies to any other life-threatening issue that the person applying for the policy would be expected to know of. For example, if you took out a new policy and then died of cancer three months later, it wouldn't pay (unless the applicant had disclosed the information, in which case underwriting would have rejected the application).

Disclaimer -- I've been out of the business for a while, but I doubt the exclusion policies have changed. If someone out there is currently an insurance expert, I welcome your correction.

EDITED: I just checked Washington state law. Insurance companies are allowed a 2-year suicide exclusion. I don't think the laws have changed on this since I left the business.
    "The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired." Washington State Constitution

Sorry for your loss and the issued you're having.

I have been in the Insurance Industry for over 21 years.

Look to policy exclusions. Also, ALL policy's have a 2 year contestibility period where anything can be contested.

ADD policy's have many more exclusions.

My uncle committed suicide and his Life policy paid out to me.

Of all the people to blame, Wayne LaPierre is probably the last of them. I'm also not suprised to hear that he didn't respond to your letter. It's not his decision to make, and it's not his money to begin with.
    If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you. - Jack Handey

This might be harsh, but why should any insurance company pay off after a suicide?

If there's any blame here, it rests on the person who killed themselves.

Often when people radically change the social arrangement that they were living under, things like life insurance get forgotten, or dropped.

It took some wrangling with our agent to even get a joint policy, because the 60% divorce rate cancels them faster than they can sell them.

Insurance is a pretty despised form of annuity. People treat it as a gamble that they have to lose to collect on. They don't like the language, don't understand the policy, don't learn the exclusions, don't expect to suffer catastrophe.

When a situation like this comes up, it's a free lesson to look at our own situation, and what things we can do to prevent it.

After the fact is often a wasted gesture. In line with the forum title, Be Active, not reactive.

I am sorry for your loss. I would never expect the NRA to pay off on a suicide. I seem to recall that it also only paid off on accidental death by firearms.

I am no fan of insurance, believing firmly that a policy is a mere savings account with a negative interest rate.

Sad

While it's a tragic event, I believe there has been abundant clarification in the posts above.

That said, this thread is off topic for THR.

I would invite you to open a discussion on APS if you wish. Their charter is different from ours, though there is a large membership overlap.

The venue notwithstanding, I am sorry for your loss.

Daughter: "Dad, how do I know who's a real friend?"
    Me: "A friend is someone who cares how your life turns out."

"Truth is a dangerous thing: once found, you must never turn your back on it." -- gh@c2

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe." -- gh@c2

NRA insurance

Arfin, WHY did you lock the thread about NRA insurance? There was no good reason to do that. People need to understand that issue and to be able to tell the difference between regular life insurance and "death or dismembership" insurance.
    Charter member PWU (Pud Whackers Unanimous!)

Did you read Arfin's closing post?

Activism
    "A place to coordinate focused efforts for RKBA. Discussions about whether a given course of action is appropriate or not do not belong here -- use the subforum instead."

Death, dismembership and life insurance doesn't seem to fit in the forum description, therefore it's off topic.

As is this thread.

People need to understand that issue and to be able to tell the difference between regular life insurance and "death or dismembership" insurance.
    It is ACCIDENTAL death or dismemberment, the name kind of explains it.(suicide is no accident) And it was pointed out 6 times in that thread, kind of repetitious after that.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
    Robert A. Heinlein

Also, a separate post would be better - poor guy just lost a family member and people were starting to be borderline cruel instead of giving the guy a pass.