Thread: Q. Going price for Glock 17L pistol

Q. Going price for Glock 17L pistol

What is the going price for a Glock 17L pistol?
    I can get one for $550 from a guy locally in a personal sale.
    He is fixed on the price.
    According to the serial number the pistol was made last year and it comes with all accessories and papers. The pistol was fired about 1,000 rounds and is in like new condition.

Should I go for it?

That's about what I paid for mine 2 years ago, still worth it.
    "[The 2nd Amendment's] free exercise is the antithesis of serfdom and the only meaningful form of holocaust insurance known to man." -- Gus Cotey, Jr.
    NRA, SAF, and JPFO Life Member. USCCA annual member.
    Public Relations Coordinator, Connecticut Citizens Defense League, Inc.

I'm considering a 17L as my first Glock and first DAO striker fired handgun. I will use it exclusively for the range.

How does the trigger on the 17L compare to other Glocks?

I have some guns with great single action triggers, so l'm pretty spoiled.
    Beretta 92FS & PX4 9mm
    Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded & XDM 9mm
    S&W 952-2, Model 41 & K38 Model 14-4

The trigger on the 17L is about identical to any other Glock. I believe it's a little lighter. In terms of accuracy, I can shoot my 17L about as well as I can shoot my S&W 686 6" compensated revolver, so the barrel length is handy. An advantage is that the frame is still a 17 frame, so you can use .22 conversion kits and you can also buy a 17 and swap slides back and forth depending on what you want to use the firearm for.

It is very difficult to get good holsters for the 17L, and it is difficult to find an extended threaded barrel to screw a suppressor to. The first part takes it out of the carry realm for me, although I do have some synthetic holster that works for it because it doesn't cover the length of the slide, so it doesn't matter how long the gun is.

I don't know about buying a gun "just for the range". The 17L was also my first handgun, and I bought it "just for the range". Since then I have taken on a much more "urban" handgun shooting mentality, and the 17L gets very little use unless I am going to the range just to put holes in paper from some distance. All my other guns I try and get in some practice shooting closer, faster, and preferably while moving. Having to shoot all the other guns I brought, then stop and change everything to shoot the 17L, means I usually don't.

Still love the 17L, but it's kind of a safe queen now. I shoot much pricier guns much more often because I'm more likely to go for them when I need them, so I want to keep my muscle memory up.

It is certainly dead reliable, and it shoots as well as I can shoot a pistol, so it will always have a place in my heart for when the Zombies come
    "[The 2nd Amendment's] free exercise is the antithesis of serfdom and the only meaningful form of holocaust insurance known to man." -- Gus Cotey, Jr.
    NRA, SAF, and JPFO Life Member. USCCA annual member.
    Public Relations Coordinator, Connecticut Citizens Defense League, Inc.

Price sounds right. I paid a little more, but not by much.

I got mine as a companion for my Kel-Tec Sub 2000 (just so you can figure that I paid almost $600 for a companion pistol to a $300 carbine).

I ordered a CCF race frame for it, for another $300 or so. One part of me can't believe I'm sinking that much money into a Glock, the other part of me... 'What else am I going to spend it on?'

Shoots as well as I can shoot it. I'm decent with it, but I'm not that great with standard Glock grips. Handled the CCF frames at the SHOT show, loved how they felt, figured I'd give that a shot.

I've used it for more 'urban' shooting exercises, and it doesn't really feel significantly slower or more awkward than others. I can't imagine how I'd CONCEAL it, except as a weapon in my vehicle, but once it's in your hand, I can't imagine it being any less effective than other handguns.

Bennet & RX... thanks for posting your thoughts on the 17L.

I imagine that if I do purchase one, it would be shot occasionally... just to put some 'diversity' into the mix.

After looking of the Glock line for the first time, I'm a little confused about the positioning of a 17L versus a 34... other than about a quarter inch barrel length.
    Beretta 92FS & PX4 9mm
    Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded & XDM 9mm
    S&W 952-2, Model 41 & K38 Model 14-4

The Glock 34 has a legal barrel length for IPSC competition, and I think the trigger is set differently out of the box.

The Glock 17L has a barrel that's too long to be legal for IPSC. It was effectively discontinued from the US for that reason, but at some point they started importing them again as 'long range target' pistols.

There's not much difference in them unless you're looking for an IPSC race gun.

It would be an interesting gun to have but as mentioned above nowhere near the utility of a G34 or a G35.

You are going to pay more for a gun that you will be unlikely to carry, won't be be able to find holsters for, won't be able to use in USPSA/IDPA if you ever want to.

You get 0.7 inches of barrel and a lot of drawbacks. As for race gun, the 24 would be a better choice.

Agreed.

I have a G35, and a 9mm barrel for it. (I don't believe you can or want to get a .40 barrel for a G34, but I'm here to be educated).

I'm a big guy, so I can CCW the G35 (with .40 barrel). Or use it in IDPA. Or practice with 9s. And I get a light rail.

Hey, if you just find the 17L magical--go for it, and be happy! But it's not the most flexible choice (Even a G24 would be more caliber-flexible, but still not IDPA legal).

What is the going price for a Glock 17L pistol?
    I can get one for $550 from a guy locally in a personal sale.
    He is fixed on the price.
    According to the serial number the pistol was made last year and it comes with all accessories and papers. The pistol was fired about 1,000 rounds and is in like new condition.

Should I go for it?
    That is a good price. I sale them new for 640.00
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”George Washington