Thread: Could saiga's and similar imports disappear in January with the stroke of a pen?

Could saiga's and similar imports disappear in January with the stroke of a pen?

The president does not need a gun ban to stop Russian and other imports of "assault" rifles if I understand correctly. I've heard he can simply issue an executive order, "clarifying" the interpretation of an existing law or treaty. Does anybody who really knows what they are talking about have any information about this?

Wrote about that here: http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/2008...o-your-saigas/

Go there for the long answer, but the short answer is 'Yes'

I think (?) that my local gun store owners and friends stock this gun.

Maybe he can put some information on this thread.

I know that they can special order all kinds of guns plus sell what they 'usually sell' in handguns, rifles, shotguns, ammunition, holsters, etc.

Good men - great store!

Catherine
    Closed Account

All imported firearms and ammunition are at risk, if an EO is issued directing ATF to modify the sporting purposes test.

It could happen but I doubt it will happen right away. Obama has bigger issues to deal with when he goes into office. Unless something happens that provokes Obama to act immediately I think we will be safe for a little while.
    “Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” Jon Stewart from Oprah interview, Sept 2010.

Time will tell.

Yes, the ATF can declare pretty much any imported gun nonsporting, and therefore ban it from importation. Just like they can declare any 12 gauge shotgun a destructive device, and require registration and a $200 transfer tax.

With saigas, it did occur to me that they are specifically listed as being importable, due to a treaty we have with russia. Banning them from import MIGHT require changing the treaty, and thus be harder to do. Maybe...

Administrator   
    Never heard of the Saiga Treaty deal, any link, or where to look? That would be quite cool...but then they would be reclassed as LE only, or somesuch.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

sporting purposes test.
    The sporting purpose clause should/will be challenged in court. Heller affirmed that self-defense is a legit reason to own any gun 'in common use'. The same reason any AWB can be challenged now.

Therefore there is no reason to require that guns be only allowed if 'suitable for sporting purposes"...but then again, when did gun control ever use reason?

Therefore there is no reason to require that guns be only allowed if 'suitable for sporting purposes"
    We're not talking about being "allowed" -- just importation. There is no sporting purposes test for US made firearms.

EVERYTHING is going to be challenged in court in the light of Heller. Maybe it'll slow the Big "O" down until the midterm elections which SHOULD help our side.
    Charter member PWU (Pud Whackers Unanimous!)

The treaty with russia bans all gun imports, except those with names on a list- if I remember correctly, Clinton/Gore did this to ban the importation of russian Makarovs and other guns. Saiga are fortunately on the list. It is a voluntary agreement restraining the arms trade. A year or two ago, a few more sporting guns were added to the list, so it can be changed.

There already was a challenge to the sporting purpose restrictions based, based on Heller. The gun importer lost, unfortuntetaly.

There already was a challenge to the sporting purpose restrictions based, based on Heller. The gun importer lost, unfortuntetaly.
    In what court and what was the case called?

I think this will definitely happen sooner rather than later. When the economy does not start to improve as fast as he wants, he will have to at least appear to be doing something. And that something is infringing on our rights.