Thread: how to replace the plunger tube on a 1911

how to replace the plunger tube on a 1911

I have a springfield Mil-Spec that had a loose pluger tube.

I asked around for gunsmiths on a local forum and had an armchair smith offer to restake it for me. Now that it's restaked, the plunger isn't moving freely and I still can't operate the thumb safety (that's what tipped me off to the loose tube in the first place).

The plunger on the other side (the slide stop side) got pushed in when I re-assembled the gun and now it won't come out. I think the tube got smushed a little or something.

At this point, I've decided to just replace it and am curious as to how difficult it is, or if I should just a smith do it.
    "My name is awesome, and I can count to potato!"

Brownell's sells a special vise for staking the plunger tube that prevents crushing it. Also, I've read some people just JB weld loose plunger tubes.

My piece isn't handy to check it, but I *think* I recall that this can be caused by the spring & plungers being reversed...
    "ours is not to wonder why,
    ours is but to shoot the guy.

GSGT RD, USMC circa 1982

the spring and plungers definitely aren't reversed, as I can only get one of the plungers out. the slide stop plunger is stuck in there pretty good. Also the size difference between the two plungers makes it seem unlikely that they could get reversed.

The plungers and spring should have been removed for the restaking process. Then a support pin should have been installed to fill the tube. The staking tool should have had an anvil used to distribute the stress of the staking force. Seems like a few steps got skipped. I agree the replacment of the tube at this time is the best repair.
    Joe

Why don't you get the plungers out and run a drill bit through it, stopping short of the small end of course.

can't get the small plunger out at this point. It's jammed in there pretty tight.

Staking them can be a pain without the tools. Not unlike front sights without a sight staking tool.

It's a pretty cheap job for a smith to handle. Odds are unless you own several 1911's you'll never need the tool again.