Thread: Advertising?

Advertising?

It just kinda hit me today that I've never seen a television advertisement for any sort of firearm. (I'm old enough to remember cigarette advertising spots and jingles, though, weren't they fun?) Is there some kind of law against it, or what? Anybody know?

There are a lot of firearm advertisements on Midway's Wednesday night at the range line of firearm related television programs.
    From my cold dead hands.
    If it ain't a Colt it is a copy.

There are some very entertaining Benelli commercials on TV.

The broadcast networks likely have some sort of "agreement" to not take firearms ads like they don't take liquor ads. Cable and satellite channels that have hunting and shooting programs have firearms related ads.

Many years ago I asked the NRA how come they didn't advertise.

They said the major media outlets do not accept ads from them.

A couple of years ago I thought of the idea that since there were a myriad of little weeklies and locals who always needed advertising revenue, they might be able to place ads in these outlets.

But I never did anything about it.

Perhaps someone from the NRA might pick up on this post. I am sure there are NRA members who would like to act as "agents" to place/handle ads in these myriad little publications on a volunteer basis.

I know of two or three in my area who might accept that kind of advertising. The Denver Daily News (free circulation) has had ads from folks offering concealed carry classes, so ads from the NRA might well be possible in these small weeklies.

Like many things, you never get a yes unless you ask.

And like many things, you gotta start small.