Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns/shooting and Boy vs Girl?

Guns/shooting and Boy vs Girl?

Now first of all I have a couple of things to say. Firstly me and my wife have stopped at 2 children, and they both ended up being boys. Second of all this is not meant as an attack or anything against any person or believe.

Now onto the question.

I've heard many people(here and elsewhere, mostly elsewhere) who have said that when they found out they were having a boy, went out and bought them their first .22 befor ethey were born. Buying them the gun is cool, but I have to ask, for these people would you ever take out your daughter and introduce her to shooting? Shooting isn't just a man's sport. In fact my wife loves it.

When we got together she didn't like guns, but wasn't an antio as she grew up with guns in the house. Her parents were however of the opinion that a girl has no business touching a gun, either as a child or an adult.

The third time taking my wife to the shooting range with me, I finally got her to shoot. When I got my tax returns I was not allowed to buy my hunting rifle until she got HER first gun.

Now it is interesting to note, that when she told her parents that she shot a gun at the range they were pretty upset, and were upset with me for allowing it. When they found out I bought her a gun, they flipped out. They yelled and screamed at her, and refused to speak to her for over a month. Guns and girls don't mix. WOW. My wife is at 2 guns now, and she argues with me about whether or not the AR-15 is hers or mine. Even though she told me to go buy it for myself as a birthday present for myself. I've got pictures of her with everything from an M1919A4 to an UZI, to a 12gauge street sweeper shotgun, to a Mauser 8mm, to an AR with a grenade launcher attached. I've got video of her shooting most of them as well. Although she still refuses to shoot my hunting rifle, she's terrified of it because I'm a big boy, and that muzzle just rises straight up quite a ways and shoves me back too. Oh well, one of these days.

So would anybody take preference to tkaing their 6 year old boy out to shoot and not their 6 year old daughter? Or any differences in introducing them to it? I for one wanted one boy and one girl and wanted to get them both into shooting and 4 wheelin and working on cars. Then that's just me.

Rev. Michael
    Thank you to all of those who donated money or prayers to Kenny. He has had his surgery and has completely recovered from it. He also sends his thanks for everything you have done.

Taught my daughter to shoot and to fight. This is a different world now.
    To date she has only had to defend herself twice. Both were obnoxious men, both went down hard.
    She is 5'11" and 130 lbs.

IF I had a daughter.... she would have been exposed to the same things my sons were if she was emotionally ready. (w/regard to firearms)
    Cows and horses always get enough to eat, pigs never do.

All my children will learn safety and self defense, regardless of their gender.

I started with a girl first. She shot her first 22 pistol at about 7 or 8 or so.

Her parents sound like closed minded folks. That's just silly.
    Jahwarrior said: I could've given them my ID, but I am right, and obstinate about being so. so, yes,I could've ended it by just cooperating, but that would have hypocritical, lazy, and cowardly.

Many believe the Mom should shoot cause when Mom shoots, all shoot inc the dog. AND Moms vote!!

I started with my daughter when she was 7 or 8 ( she's almost 15 now) as far as handling a firearm.
    When we shoot from a bench, I really have to watch what I do, or she'll whip my butt somethin awful.
    Freehand, is something else as she doesn't have the arm strength yet that she needs for a steady shot.
    She shot her first buck last Sunday night.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to start a girl into shooting as soon as she's old enough to understand the rules.

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    son and daughter are 15 months apart and they both got started at 5 on BB guns and at 6 learned to shoot a cut down 22 rifle that they could handle. By 12 they could shoot a 45 well enough to keep all shots on paper at 25 yards. Guns don't discriminate according to what chromosome they were born with and neither do I.
    1934 – National Firearms Act, 1968 – The Gun Control Act, 1986 – Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 – Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 – Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 – Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

While I don't have children I can relate this from a firend that has one of each flavor. He took his son shooting the first time at age 5, his daughter whom is a year younger at 8, has let to be taken.

Guns are as much a part of me as my arms and when/if we have children they will be shooting...after all the worlds best shooter years back was a women.
    "My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing will begin in five minutes."
    (Ronald Reagan 11 August 1984)

We treat both kids, boy and girl the same. My daughter likes guns, hunting, fishing, reloading etc... My wife loves to do the same. On the flip side if my son wanted to take ballet we would let him.

I intend to teach them when/if they show an interest. If they don't, I won't push them.

Smile It's all in their mental attitude...

I have had my daughter shooting since she was 8, she is 11 now and has her own 10/22, Mark III w/Red Dot, 410, and a few 22lr bolt actions. My 14 yr old boy is just starting to get into shooting and I won't trust him yet with his 597 alone, but if my daughter is with him I have no problem.

I think that girls mature sooner and I have proof in case!

I just have to get my boy off the computer more and out back shooting. He will soon be as reliable as my daughter, just a few years behind her.

I'm an equal opportunity offender as well . . . . they are children; teach them all everything you know.

I think that girls mature sooner and I have proof in case!
    Do not!

Both my girls did and still shoot circles around their brothers. All my kids were shooting by the time they were 6-7 years old. All are now in their 20's and still shoot.

I taught my son to shoot early on; he had an interest, and we now shoot IDPA and hunt tgether. My daughter never exhibited any interest in shooting till she was an adult. She then asked me to teach her to shoot a handgun, and now claims my old Ruger Speed Six snubbie as her very own.

Both my grandson and granddaughter have "rifles in waiting," new, in their boxes, in my safe. When they're old enough to pay close attention and learn & follow the four rules, they'll get the rifles. I'll offer them free ammo, trips to the range, and instruction, whenever they wanna go.

this is my 6 year old daughter and her first real gun....a .22 "crickett"....will be at the deer camp for a week....yes she is going to.

shes been practicing with a BB gun for about 6 months.......

I intend to teach them when/if they show an interest. If they don't, I won't push them.
    I teach them all gun safety, whether they are interested or not, same as they all go to swimming lessons whether they want to or not. Ignorance in either skill area can be fatal.... it's not like they are ever going to live where there are no bodies of water or idjits with firearms........ gotta prepare them for life in the real world.

I am The Dad, and that's my JOB.
    "If it looks like a rabbit, and acts like a rabbit, it will be treated as such- prey for all predators.
    If it looks like a rabbit and bites like a rattlesnake, rabbits will be safer, and predators more reticent."

I might add, my Eldest daughter got her first dove (folded it neatly after I missed it TWICE) and her first deer this fall. She is 12.......
    "If it looks like a rabbit, and acts like a rabbit, it will be treated as such- prey for all predators.
    If it looks like a rabbit and bites like a rattlesnake, rabbits will be safer, and predators more reticent."

I agree with the posters: gender shouldn't be a factor in teaching kids life skills, including firearms and self defense basics.

But then I'm from an older generation and had exceptional parents myself. All three of us kids got the same general preparation for going out into the world. My brother and I learned to cook, keep house, budget a household, sew, etc. My sister got the same firearms and automotive/mechanical/wood working training from Pop that we got.

Tiger

My mother shoots, my wife shoots, my daughter shoots.

They don't shoot as much as I do, but they're comfortable around guns and know how to use theirs.

'Nuff said.

My mother, who was a "white glove lady,"

was on the Kansas State College (now University) rifle team in the late 20s and early 30s. She always said that shooting was "like dancing."
    “It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.”
    — Thomas Sowell

I'm betting her parents are into drama. This was just another method for which there to be drama.

My mother in law is the same way.
    יזכר לא עד פעם (Remember. Never Again.)

my wife grew up in a non-gun household (not anti) but was never comfortable with guns since she was never around them. This has changed, and she will be shooting 'our' handgun after her due date, I just hope she likes it so I can go ahead and get a 9mm this time!

boy vs girl? I have been asked this many times, I don't care what it is, I will treat them the same for firearm training, auto stuff, etc. If they have an interest I will def focus on it more no matter what the gender.
    -Justin
    remington wingmaster 870 12g
    bersa thunder .380
    marlin model 25n .22 rifle

I dont have kids yet but I am going to try and do my best to teach them everything i know. boys or girls, it doesnt matter to me. If they show an intrest in guns then i am an open book. if they dont want to shoot then they dont have to.
    "No man is worth his salt who is not ready at all times to risk his well-being, to risk his body, to risk his life, in a great cause."
    Theodore Roosevelt