Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Job Application: No Gun Owners Wanted? [Threads merged]

Job Application: No Gun Owners Wanted? [Threads merged]

President-elect Barack Obama’s transition team is showing its hostility toward lawful firearm owners by “weeding out” job applicants who own firearms themselves, a Second Amendment group says.

The Illinois State Rifle Association (ISRA) notes that question 59 – part of a 63-item questionnaire given to Obama administration job applicants – asks for information about firearms owned by the applicant and his or her family.

Found in the questionnaire’s “Miscellaneous” section, question 59 reads, “Do you or any members of your immediate family own a gun? If so, provide complete ownership and registration information. Has the registration ever lapsed? Please also describe how and by whom it is used and whether it has been the cause of any personal injuries or property damage.”

Although it’s not clear that gun ownership would disqualify a job applicant, ISRA says question 59 shows the Obama team’s “distaste” for firearm owners.

“Question 59 provides clear insight into how Obama and his people perceive firearm owners,” said ISRA Executive Director Richard Pearson. “The questionnaire poses a number of questions asking the applicant to reveal any unethical activities, or embarrassing Internet chats, then wraps up by asking if anyone in the applicant’s family owns a firearm. Obviously, Obama feels that owning a firearm is akin to talking dirty in Internet chat rooms.”

Pearson says the attitude is not surprising, given that Obama – as an Illinois State senator—voted for SB1195, which included a provision calling for gun owners to be registered in the same manner as sex offenders.

“Once again, we have to ask ourselves just what candidate Obama was talking about when he said he has ‘respect’ for the 2nd Amendment,” said Pearson.

ISRA, which describes itself as an advocate of safe, lawful and responsible firearms ownership, has posted a copy of the questionnaire on its Web site.

The National Rifle Association also noted the anti-Second Amendment implications of the Obama’s team’s employment questionnaire:

“[A]s this litmus test shows, they have every intention of putting together an administration that is hostile to firearms ownership and to Second Amendment rights,” said NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre.

“One of their first official acts is to make a list of gun owners among their own employees. It proves where their hearts are. It shows what their philosophy is. This is more proof that this administration is coming after our freedom and NRA stands ready.”

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/conten...x?RsrcID=39345
    If you're going to hunt humans, you should know we travel in packs. -Capt. Phillip Korso

Well he did say "CHANGE." Guess that means ignoring that pesky Second Amendment. SHAME on those who voted for him. Bet the 'best' is yet to come.

What registration? You don't have to register your guns in the state of Illinois.

“Once again, we have to ask ourselves just what candidate Obama was talking about when he said he has ‘respect’ for the 2nd Amendment,” said Pearson.
    Per the Liberal Dictionary:

Respect - A begrudging acceptance; A hatred hardened by the knowledge that the destruction of the hated object is beyond one's grasp or ability; A contempt that cannot be externalized lest it alienate a large portion of one's constituency.

Senator Obama has great respect for the Second Amendment.
    “As long as we allow an individual right to trump public safety, families are going to lose their loved ones…"
    - Kristin Comer, Executive Director, Washington CeaseFire

Cluck cluck, the sky is falling- Chicken Little.

Sorry, but this stuff is way over the top.

What registration? You don't have to register your guns in the state of Illinois.
    That's a pretty damned good question. Is there registration in Cook County?

Aren't arms registered in DC and California? Maybe even New Jersey, I'm not sure.

# 59 “Do you or any members of your immediate family own a gun? If so, provide complete ownership and registration information. Has the registration ever lapsed? Please also describe how and by whom it is used and whether it has been the cause of any personal injuries or property damage.

Response: Get F*****.
    NRA Life Member, October 2009.
    SAF Defender Club Member, January 2011.
    NRA Endowment Member, January 2011.

Do you or any members of your immediate family own a gun? If so, provide complete ownership and registration information. Has the registration ever lapsed?
    Stalin surely would have understood.
    No tyrant should ever be allowed to die a natural death.

Interesting questions about guns and many other subjects EXCEPT drug use!!

And so it begins . . .

"Gun registration" is just part of "The Big Lie", most non-gun literate people just don't know that guns aren't registered in most states.

Time to really start thinking about a strategy to counter all this crappola and get the truth out to the masses. Citizens really, really need to get educated on their rights and the consequences of ignorance . . .

Me? I'm just ordering more ammo . . . .
    The Second Amendment IS homeland security.
    Pacifism is a priviledge of the protected.
    Fast is fine, but accurate is final, the trick is learning how to take your time when you're in a hurry. - W. Earp

M2

Not to throw a bucket of water on the paranoia-fest, but Obama is screening applicants for all sorts of things that have embarrassed past political appointments -- unpaid taxes, illegal alien housekeepers, nannies, and gardeners. An unregistered gun (where registration is required) would certainly fall into that category.

I'm as nervous as the rest of you about potential hostility to gun owners, but I don't think this is an example of it. He's just being extra careful to avoid political embarassment. I wish our side had been that careful.
    It's 2 AM....do you know where your rights are?

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -- Douglas Adams

megaboraphobia n. The fear of large calibers

Well, we will see what we will see.
    As a former IL subject (did I mean "citizen? No, I think not) I wish I shared your optimism.

Not to throw a bucket of water on the paranoia-fest, but Obama is screening applicants for all sorts of things that have embarrassed past political appointments -- unpaid taxes, illegal alien housekeepers, nannies, and gardeners. An unregistered gun (where registration is required) would certainly fall into that category.
    He's not just asking about the applicant, he's asking for personal information about the applicant's family members. I don't think that can be brushed aside simply by saying that he's trying to avoid political embarrassment (and how many people has he already associated himself with who are politically embarrassing?). He's also asking for copies of anything ever posted on a website, including message boards and even dating sites. This is an attempt at delving into potential employees' personal histories that really is unprecedented.
    "Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place." - Frederic Bastiat, The Law

I don't guess I even need to think about that job!!!!
    Freedom ain't free...........

If this conempt is true, then he needs to only look right past his nose at his Vice-Prsident.

Oh wait, I am sure he can now be deputized as a "Private Security" figure.
    WWW.CCDL.US Connecticut Citizens Defense League

"We The People" not "You The Government"!

He's not just asking about the applicant, he's asking for personal information about the applicant's family members.
    Family members can be just as much of a liability if they have any embarassing transgressions. (Pregnant unwed Palin daughter, anyone?)

Look, He's not a dumb guy. He knows political enemies will be gunning for him and digging up any and all dirt on anyone working for him. He's being proactive by digging for the dirt himself. It's really a smart move, and as I said earlier, I wish our side had been this thorough.
    It's 2 AM....do you know where your rights are?

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -- Douglas Adams

megaboraphobia n. The fear of large calibers

Cluck cluck, the sky is falling- Chicken Little.

Sorry, but this stuff is way over the top.

Hardly.

I am trying to consider the OUTRAGE in this country if a job asked about MANY of the interests, practices, etc. of the applicants.

"Please describe in detail the frequency that you have sexual intercourse and document any activities therein that you have practices other than missionary."

Uncomfortable, isn't it?

Some "Change" ain't nobody's business.

-- John
    "My name is a killing word."
    -------------------
    ** Until further notice, please direct any important PMs to my AR15.com account. User name "Erevis."**

Please list and, if readily available, provide a copy of each book, article, column or publication (including but not limited to any posts or comments on blogs or other websites) you have authored, individually or with others. Please list all aliasses

thus, if a member of THR would like to get a job in that administration, he would have to include ever post he ever made on this and other fora ?

I would find it very hard to answer most of those questions, I didn't keep copies of everything I did the last years. didn't keep speeches, didn't keep net worth statements, probably can't remember all my community associations, nonseasonal gifts over 50$ etc
    Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India,
    history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest.
    -- Mahatma Gandhi

"Gun registration" is just part of "The Big Lie", most non-gun literate people just don't know that guns aren't registered in most states.
    This is true. I have lots of friends who know nothing about guns. Often they ask me, when seeing one of my guns, "do you need a permit for that?" A lot of people assume you need a permit just to own any gun.
    ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ ПOНК РОК ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Found in the questionnaire’s “Miscellaneous” section, question 59 reads, “Do you or any members of your immediate family own a gun? If so, provide complete ownership and registration information. Has the registration ever lapsed? Please also describe how and by whom it is used and whether it has been the cause of any personal injuries or property damage.”
    The gang is brainwashing it's own.
    A whitewashed camper is a happy camper

It is very disturbing, all of you who think this is no big deal are being quite naive. You turn the other cheek on every reference to Obama's past history regarding firearms and say "Oh don't worry it won't happen". But have you stopped to count the number of times you have had to turn your cheek? I've turned my cheek less at a tennis match! How many times is it going to take before you realize that gunowners are in deep poop thanks to you cheek turners? Have you yet seen anything in his policy that is PRO gun? You Obama guys have a lot to answer for to those of us who hold the 2nd near and dear. You have betrayed all of us and there is no excuse for you're position. What will be your excuse when his true intentions come to light & fruition? You all sit there and hope he won't do anything to limit our rights...WE, on the other hand, have more than hope to convince us he WILL limit our rights....his record in black and white! That should have meant something more than hope to you.
    Oh boy.....here it comes........

Uh..."I didn't vote for him?"
    ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ ПOНК РОК ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Ridgeline- first take a deep breath. In...out.

ok. look back at the posts of the people who aren't getting all freaked out about this. they never said they support him, or voted for him. They are not "obama guys" because they realize that he is politically covering his own ass.

Personally, I voted for McCain. BUT, I can't really fault the president-elect for not wanting to surround himself with people who could be a political embarrassment.

The fact that I hate the guy like poison and will fight like hell against any gun control/banning measures is irrelevant. k?
    Member:
    NRA
    JPFO

born a muslim, muslim for life.

disarming ones enemies is a rational strategy.

in this case i believe our president elect is the enemy of our constitution, our tradition of liberty, and of the electorate who voted for (and against) him.

due to these factors i am committed to emigration, that being the only option which avoids the potential for insurrection.

i'm committed to honorable behavior until i do leave, and loyalty to the duly elected representatives of our electorate...and the mere concept of loyalty to an anti-constitutionalist makes me nauseous.

Leaving sucks, but staying and accepting treasonous leadership sucks lots worse, and fighting other americans sucks worst.

I love my country, but i'll leave rather than participate in its destruction. I certainly understand those who have other views, my choice was not made in haste.

Family members can be just as much of a liability if they have any embarassing transgressions. (Pregnant unwed Palin daughter, anyone?)

Look, He's not a dumb guy. He knows political enemies will be gunning for him and digging up any and all dirt on anyone working for him. He's being proactive by digging for the dirt himself. It's really a smart move, and as I said earlier, I wish our side had been this thorough.
    The Executive Branch is not a private corporation, it is a public office funded by citizens. The question is not whether he's smart in covering his ass, but whether a President should be able to require this kind of information of potential federal employees. Information about whether an applicant or family member has been charged or convicted of a crime would be perfectly within bounds. Detailed information about things protected from government encroachment by the Constitution is not in the same category. Presidents do not have unlimited power to do whatever they want in order to "avoid political embarrassment."
    Last edited by tigre; November 15th, 2008 at 11:53 AM.
    "Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place." - Frederic Bastiat, The Law

Someone said, "Shame on those that voted for Obama", I say, 'better the devil you know than the devil you don't'. The Republican Party is the devil we don't know, the folks that gave you a war and then voted down the bill to help returning Vets (yes John McCain too). This is the party that gave you the new top secret National Reconnosaince Office, Homeland security and the TSA to name a few of your past liberties. These are the same people that said "No" to the $5,000,000 needed to restore the levies in NOLA pre-Katrina and instead found $100,000,000 to pay for a study to restore and renovate the Tigris River in Iraq. Yes, lets all be shortsighted and boorish and blame intellects and liberals instead of recognizing that the Tree of Liberty needed watering years ago, but like that fateful year when Paul Revere made his famous ride for liberty, few were listening and were happy with being British subjects.

I voted for Obama because the Republicans were whittling away my freedoms and liberties and Numb-nuts like you were comfortably allowing it to happen and ridiculed me and my ilk for critisizing the new British, only now they call themselves Republicans. My hero is Thomas Jefferson and Ron Paul, but if they weren't on the ticket, then I sure as heck wasn't going to allow the Devil in disguise to remain in power, and my deed was rewarded, for now the slumbered have reawakened to fight. Obama is good for America, it has awakened Zombies like yourself to get back into the fight.

If you are honest with yourself, you know I am speaking the truth. Obama is the wake-up call.

Shame on me for voting Obama? Shame on those of you that allowed the ugly head of dictatorship to raise it's head in the only free republic of the world and drowned out our voices when we tried to stop it. At least I didn't jump on any bandwagon, I voted my conscience.
    Last edited by george29; November 15th, 2008 at 03:07 PM.