Thread: R. Lee Ermey on History Ch. Tonight

R. Lee Ermey on History Ch. Tonight

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just saw that tonight (11/14) at 9pm EST on the History Channel R. Lee Ermey ("Mail Call") will be hosting "Lock 'N' Load", looking at the history of the rifle. Says it's a new show - should be worth a look, especially if R. Lee goes after some more watermelons...
    "This is gonna get pretty interesting..."
    "Define 'interesting'."
    "Oh God Oh God We're all gonna die..."

"Keep a goverment poor and weak and it's your servant; when it is rich and powerful it becomes your master." H. Beam Piper, "Lone Star Planet"

Originally Posted by v35:
    The First Amendment was written with an ink quill but it protects us in the internet age. So does the Second.

The history of the rifle in general, or a specific one?
    Let's Go AUBURN
    INDESTRUCTIBLE 2008

TUNE IN NOW MAGGOTS! lol...he is great.
    NRA Endowment Member

i always wonder how much of his mental capacity it takes to keep himself from swearing during his... tirades... on TV.

It is cool how entertaining he is.

Pretty basic show, but always good to see the Gunny on TV again.

i always wonder how much of his mental capacity it takes to keep himself from swearing during his... tirades... on TV.
    15 takes and creative editing?

I watched it last night, by no means was it comprehensive, it was entertaining though. He started with the chinese fire stick, went to the Kentucky long rifle and 2 rifles later he was at the Winchester repeater. I think there was about 7 rifles highlighted, the fire stick was the only non-American one The M-16 was the last one featured, but Ermey seemed to favor the M-14 above all; he mentioned how they found dead soldiers in Vietnam with their cleaning rods in their hands, due to massive jamming problems with the original M-16.
    “When you understand the nature of a thing, you know what it is capable of.”
    -Miyamoto Musashi

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions."

I saw a few minutes of this show last night. Maybe the Gunny knows what he's talking about but the editors of the show sure don't. When the host mentioned "bolt action" as upcoming topic, they showed a close up of a semi-auto...oh well.

I always watched Mail Call and liked getting yelled at by R. Lee (through the TV of course) but I thought this show was pretty lame. I mean it was moderately entertaining, who doesn't like watching R. Lee firing anything.

But when the rifling in a Kentucky long rifle goes unmentioned, the inferiority of the Krag Jorgensen compared to the enemies Mausers and the 1903's homage to Mauser is skipped over ... it was a pretty shallow pop history.

Having said all that ... I watched it end to end.

I watched it with my wife. It was a fun piece. but overly simplistic and they missed a few rifles.
    What was pretty cool, in my opinion, the wife switched to it.....and she made a comment at the end....." You have all those rifles!" Which I do...even the Maynard!
    When in doubt, Empty the magazine!

The Gunny is a class act.

When the NRA convention was in Milwaukee a few years ago, I took my sons to the convention. The Gunny was there as a Glock spokesperson meeting people and signing autographs; very long line of people who wanted to meet him. If any law enforcement officers or any military personnel walked up, he stepped out of the line and shook their hands, took photos with them, thanked them for their service. When I and my sons got to him (my sons were ages 13 and 11 at the time), he let me take photos of him with my boys, talked to my sons a while, just made them feel like they were old friends. By that time he had been there probably several hours and was probably tired out, but he treated everyone like that while I was there.

I watched it, and thought it was entertaining.

No question he is biased toward the M14, which I have no problem with.

It was a little annoying when he helped perpetuate the myth that the intent of the smaller 5.56 round is to wound rather than kill, thereby forcing more enemy to take care of wounded soldiers.

He also mentioned that the M16 is watertight when the ejection port cover is closed.
    Eloi-- Tastes Like Chicken

Coupl'a thoughts:

R. Lee Ermy is a class act. No doubt about that. I still love his DI harangue from Full Metal Jacket. It's the best, cause it's authentic. He reminds me of my little, sawed-off buzzsaw of a DI.

He's doing shows for a mass market. Instructing people on the basics, while trying to entertain. In an "hour-long" show, you've only got about 40 minutes of actual program.

I'd really like to sit down and have a beer with that man.

yeah, ive been watching mail call for a while. not so sure about the editors, but he sure-as-hell knows what he is talking about.

Its hilarious when he is answering a Q on somehting he seems to not know, like airforce stuff. Quite obviously out of his element, and not used to asking questions that he does not know the answer too.

But, like paw paw said, it is entertainment, not a history lesson. i think they balance it well.

I echo Professor Gun...

I stood in line to get his autograph in Milwaukee and when he saw my NRA volunteer badge he asked where I came from and chatted longer than necessary, for a autograph line. He was personable in a tough setting and that is impressive. I've stood in line for several other autographs, including C. Heston and this is not always the case. Still, gunny and glock go good together.
    When I joined, I swore to protect and defend the Constitution. No one ever said I was relieved of that oath.