Thread: Robar Firearm Refinishing

Robar Firearm Refinishing

I had been having a problem with my Ruger LCP and my Kimber Tactical Custom II, both of which I like to carry. I had been experiencing abnormally fast rust spotting on both guns, to the point where I simply couldn't wear either one if I was doing any physical activity (getting the mail is fine, cleaning house was not). I had to wipe down each gun every evening to keep it from getting spotty, annoying on the Ruger, depressing on the Kimber. The Ruger was by far the worse of the two, I was seeing very small rust spots on the Kimber, the entire length of the slide and the exposed portions of the barrel on the Ruger were rusting. This is not weeks of inattentiveness, we're talking overnight here, and mind you I'm also carrying both guns in leather holsters.

I called Ruger's support line about the issue, and apparently the problem is not uncommon. Some people, myself included, have abnormally acidic sweat that will seep into cloth or leather and then sit against the gun, rusting it. The guy I spoke to at Ruger suggested I talk to the folks at Robar (http://www.robarguns.com/) who have an electroless nickel process called NP3. You mail your guns to them and they treat all the internal components... if you don't need your frame done (the LCP is plastic, the Kimber anodized aluminum) it's $170 a gun.

That was two weeks ago, and I thought I'd post some photos of the guns. I just got them back today and they look fantastic. The finish is a dull grey, but plainly slick to the touch (apparently it's got Teflon in it). According to their information the guns will be easier to clean, run better, have a harder surface, and won't rust or show fingerprints. From my limited experience so far I believe them!

Worth every penny. I can start carrying these again. I'll let you know how the finish holds up, but I've been hearing great things from others. Here are some internal shots:

Attached Images Attached Images
    "[The 2nd Amendment's] free exercise is the antithesis of serfdom and the only meaningful form of holocaust insurance known to man." -- Gus Cotey, Jr.
    NRA, SAF, and JPFO Life Member. USCCA annual member.
    Public Relations Coordinator, Connecticut Citizens Defense League, Inc.

And here are some shots inside the Kimber:

Wish I had some photography chops to really show how this came out... In any case, I couldn't be more pleased. The two-tone LCP is sure to draw some interest, too!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "[The 2nd Amendment's] free exercise is the antithesis of serfdom and the only meaningful form of holocaust insurance known to man." -- Gus Cotey, Jr.

Robar has a world-wide reputation for both their finishes and for the custom firearms they build. I am not surprised you are pleased. They are a shop that stesses quality and customer service. Robbie Barkkman has always insisted on that.
    "Amateurs focus on hardware - professionals focus on software". (But... Old Age and Treachery beats Youth and Skill Every time!)

OK... maybe Algore did not invent the internet - he DID invent Global Warming!

NP3 is a great finish. I had them do a Walther P5C and it came out beautifullly, treating the internals really slicked up the action. I added a set of Nils grips, it's very handsome with silver slide and black frame. Very reasonable for the quatlity of the work.
    The Second Amendment IS homeland security.
    Pacifism is a priviledge of the protected.
    Fast is fine, but accurate is final, the trick is learning how to take your time when you're in a hurry. - W. Earp

M2

so

are you saying it cost $170 to get your lcp done in the NP3 finish???

Looks alot like the ceregard finish that APW cogan does.

Robar NP3, Accurate Plating & Weaponry, Black T

I've had 2 Beretta 96D pistols plated with Robar's NP3 plate work. I'd suggest it over the other firearm coatings/plates that Robar sells. The NP3 coating is long lasting and on my semi auto 96Ds it worked as the website/company posted.
    You may also want to look into Walter Birdsong's Black T coating or the Ceragard plate work from a custom shop called Accurate Plating & Weaponry. The Cergard can be had in several colors and works a lot like the Robar NP3 and Rogard plates. I'd add that the cusomer service for this company is lacking and the wait time/prices may be an issue.
    I would add that to Robar too. The company and office staff are good but you may need to wait from 3 to 4 months for your custom work to be done and handguns to be FedExed back.

You should get your carry/reload mags plated with Robar's NP3. APW does not advise having pistol mags coated with the Ceragard process but Robar offers it on mags in all of the coatings/plate work(nickel, black oxide, NP3, etc).
    Rusty
    TUBBS: What makes us better than them?
    CROCKETT: We're better shots.
    NBC's Miami Vice

Quote Originally Posted by jocko
    are you saying it cost $170 to get your lcp done in the NP3 finish?
    Yes, it's a flat rate for any slide/barrel/internals for any pistol. A significant portion of the price of the LCP, unfortunately, but that's what I had to do so that I could actually use the gun as intended.

http://www.robarguns.com/PriceListNov07.pdf
    Last edited by Bennett Prescott; November 17th, 2008 at 02:17 PM.