Thread: Weird range trip today.

Weird range trip today.

Well, I took 4 guns I've never shot to the range. Ruger LCP, Kahr CW40, Ruger SP101, and my M1 Carbine.

I started with the LCP at 15 yards. My first shot was DEAD CENTER. I mean right dead in the middle of the x. So I'm thinking, hey this is gonna be fun.

The rest of my shots with the LCP (shooting Winchester Silvertips) were all on target. Aside from the LOOOOOOONG trigger pull, I'm very impressed with it.

Then I tried the Kahr. OUCH! The design of that thing really bites the meaty web of my hand. Oh well, I traded a gun I didn't really want for it, so I guess it's going to go up for sale. Maybe for a trade for the CW9.

Then I pulled out the SP101, and for whatever reason, all of a sudden I got the yips. I fired 5 rounds before I realized I wouldn't be shooting pistols again today. I could hold the gun rock steady, but the minute I went to squeeze the trigger, my hand started shaking like a leaf. I have no idea why, other than maybe I've been under too much stress at work lately, and that could be affecting things.

Anyway, I put that away, and pulled out the M1 Carbine. I shot that fine, because the hand shakiness disappeared when all I had to do was lightly grip the rifle and squeeze the trigger. I'm thrilled with the Carbine, although about 45 rounds after I started shooting I got a light strike, then on the next shot, a no-strike. I ejected the mag, cycled it a few times, slapped the mag back in, and shot the rest of the rounds just fine. Then I put in the two bullets from the misfires and shot them, and then I shot another 75 rounds with no misfires. Odd. I personally stripped it when I got it from the CMP and cleaned and lubed it, and did function checks. Personally I think I did a great job...

Well, the yips thing has me really frustrated.

Anybody ever experience anything similar?
    NRA Life Member
    1. The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a
    firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for
    traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

Do you have enemies in the anti-gun arena? Following the Heller victory, frustrated anti-rights activists began seeking out shamans to place evil voodoo curses on shooters in order to spoil their fun.

Seriously, though, it sounds like that Kahr tickled the wrong part of your brain and gave you a nasty, nasty flinch. It should be remedied with another trip to the range, shooting comfortable pistols, starting with .22 and working your way up to the spunkiest load you've got. You might even pre-game with some dry-firing. You should be fine.

Getting rid of the curse is a different issue altogether. I would try boiling a rabbits head in vinegar, hanging it from a piece of lavender colored yarn from a weeping willow during a full moon, and then eating it the following morning. It goes nicely with a side of slaw.
    NRA Life Member, October 2009.
    SAF Defender Club Member, January 2011.
    NRA Endowment Member, January 2011.

Hmm, my wife as taken up knitting and may have the lavender colored yarn...
    NRA Life Member

"seeking out shamans to place evil voodoo curses"
    "Getting rid of the curse is a different issue altogether. I would try boiling a rabbits head in vinegar, hanging it from a piece of lavender colored yarn from a weeping willow during a full moon, and then eating it the following morning. "
    C'mon dude, really???

As to the yips, those smaller pistols really give your hand a beating after a short while.
    I will get them in as few as 30-40 .357 rounds out of my steel j frame. Just the way it is, your nerves get angry and your hand starts shaking at you like, bad mr. man, no soup for you.

And for the light primer hits, A friend of mine shoot alot of old surplus 30 carbine. Military primers are just hard.

JRadice45,

You say this now, but don't come begging JCMAG for the cure when the evil voodoo comes for ya

When I got the yips with my putter, I bought a new putter and gave the old one away. I suggest you buy more guns until you find a yipless one. I'll be glad to dispose of the yippers for you.

JCMAG, do you think boiling in garlic vinegar is ok, or is that just for running off vampires? And is the slaw really needed to chase away bad ju-ju or is it just filler?
    ". . . these are the times of dreamy quietude, when beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean's skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember, that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang."
    -Herman Melville Moby Dick

Nope. My guess is the slaw is just to chase everyone else away. Stupid cabbage.
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"

I have a Kahr PM9. It's about as much punch in a small pistol that my hand and wrist will put up with and not for long at that. The same pistol in 40 S&W is brutal IHMO. I'll run a couple of clips through my Kahr just to keep in practice with it, but quickly go to my full size HK USP 9mm, or P7PSP. I find 40 cal to be a snappy round in full size HK USP much less a pocket pistol. I can see where you were hit with the shakes after shooting the little Kahr with the big cartridge.

Writers cramp, possible begining of carpal tunnel. Try a wrist bandage next time.

When the Kahr bit you (unexpectedly) it touched off a small adrenaline surge. If you had coffee before going to the range, that magnified the adrenaline effect.

Next time you get the shakes (to me the "yips" is different: old baseball term meaning a mental block), switch to "combat accuracy" shooting (IPSC target, keep'em somewhere in the A-Zone). Useful practice: if you ever get attacked, the shakes will be there, so learn to shoot through them.

You'll find that keeping in the A-Zone is no big problem despite the shakes--well, except for the brain tumor possibility.

MORE CAFFEINE! Or maybe less, sometimes I forget how that works...
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Actually, I am a regular coffee drinker, but yesterday I specifically didn't have any before going so that I might be steadier. Perhaps in my case, I need it just to be "normal"
    NRA Life Member

Anybody ever experience anything similar?
    Sometimes I get so focused on my breating and stance and grip and everything that the shakes happen. The best thing at that point is to not worry about that stuff and just push lead downrange. Occasionally, though, I'll just pack it up--it's as if I'll develop bad habits if I try to force it.
    The Antibubba

If you are a Jew who supports gun control, you've either forgotten the lessons of the Holocaust, or you never learned them in the first place.

JCMAG, do you think boiling in garlic vinegar is ok, or is that just for running off vampires? And is the slaw really needed to chase away bad ju-ju or is it just filler?
    Actually, the use of garlic in this particular recipe is solely for preventing encounters with the anti-gunners in the locker room. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is worse than a heated debate when both parties are naked. I consider this a must for all gun owners who go to the gym.

My personal experience would have me believe your "yips" came from the caliber choice: .40 S&W.

No other caliber, in any type of gun, has given me the nervous, shaky feeling that .40 does.

I can literally watch my groups begin to widen, my palms start to sweat, my breathing becomes irregular. Why? Your guess is as good as mine, but I avoid .40 like the plague. It's a damn shame, as I really wanted to like the caliber.

Have you tried just dry firing the gun, at home or away from the range? Might sound silly, but just the shape of the grip, or reach of the finger to the trigger on that particular gun could set off a nerve in your hand or wrist? If you can aim and dry fire the gun at home, w/o any shakes etc., then it probably was just in your head or a reaction to the "bite" from the Kahr.. Keep us posted, Im curious to know how it turns out! Good Luck!
    Mick

Quote:I have a Kahr PM9. It's about as much punch in a small pistol that my hand and wrist will put up with and not for long at that. The same pistol in 40 S&W is brutal IHMO. I'll run a couple of clips through my Kahr just to keep in practice with it, but quickly go to my full size HK USP 9mm, or P7PSP. I find 40 cal to be a snappy round in full size HK USP much less a pocket pistol. I can see where you were hit with the shakes after shooting the little Kahr with the big cartridge.

Yep....I have an MK40, and it can hurt like hell after several mags full thru it....so can my SP101 after several cyls full of full-house .357

ALWAYS bring a .22 pistol with you to the range. After shooting guns with unpleasant recoil, you have been conditioned to be afraid of pulling the trigger. It is like computer programming, and you have no control over it. The problem is, next time you go to shoot a pistol (any pistol), you may have the same reaction. Even if it's days or weeks later, because the most recent pistol you fired beat you up.

Firing just a few mags of .22 from a Ruger or P22 or NEOS will get rid of those shakes.
    Custom concealment holsters - www.kelloggcustomleather.com

Really custom, as in, whatever you want.

"ALWAYS bring a .22 pistol with you to the range"

I agree with this. I sometimes get "the flinch" after shooting my SP101 as well. The 22 cal in a large heavy pistol or revolver, and also a Taurus Model 66 with soft 38 Special loads cures me just fine. I can get real smooth and accurate with the Taurus.
    NRA Member
    ANJRPC Member
    USCCA Member

That's interesting about the Kahr P9. I've got tiny, little girl hands, and the Kahr P9 is one of the few pistols that fits my hand well. I can shoot it all day without hurting. I've got a buddy with larger hands, and the same pistol hurts his hand quite a bit. It's Goldilocks and the three bears all over again.

The grip design on the Kahr pistols puts that beavertail at a very sharp bevel on a very short grip. If you've got a meaty hand, it definitely hits you right in the meat. I just checked, and that part of my hand is still a bit sore, and I only shot 12 rounds!
    NRA Life Member

From time to time I experience the same symptoms you described. I grip the pistol and as I go to squeeze the bang button I get the shakes.

What works for me is to back off, regrip the pistol and try not to hold it so tight. I think my subconscience wants me to death grip the thing. It does not matter if I am shooting a .22 or a .45 or a .357. It just happens.

In the old days when I played golf I once read a description of the golf grip. it said to hold the club like you would hold a bird. Firm enough that it does not get loose but light enough to not break its bones. Right at the moment of truth ( in the case of golf it was striking the ball) you will grip at the proper tension.

I apply that theory to shooting handguns and it seems to work for me. The yips go away.

Good luck with it.
    Free the High Road

I have noticed the same thing with my PT-140. I've shot everything from .22s to .45s and .41 mags in the same day; my first group with the .40 will put 5 shots touching and after a couple of mags I'm lucky to land half of them in the black.