Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I got a certified letter from Big 5 today. What's that about?

I got a certified letter from Big 5 today. What's that about?

I wasn't here to receive it, and now I've gotta find time to get to the post office Monday.

I've recently bought 2 Mosins, and a Steyr M95 from them. What do you think it could be about?

Recall?
    NRA Life Member
    1. The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a
    firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for
    traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

More evil voodoo. You've got it bad, chief.

Seriously, though, I haven't the foggiest. The only thing that I can think of is the LE got in contact with them about one of the rifles you've bought from them and now they want to get a hold of you.

But even that doesn't make sense. Don't they believe in telephone calls? And what's the story with a certified letter? That's totally bizarre. Is the information really that sensitive?

Seriously, seriously, bad juju. If I were you, I would be getting anxious for a full moon to hang that voodoo cure!
    NRA Life Member, October 2009.
    SAF Defender Club Member, January 2011.
    NRA Endowment Member, January 2011.

Recall, maybe? Any on one or more of these, or on anything else you've purchased there..?

Maybe you misspelled something on the 4473 form, or left the "county" box blank.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" —Kenny Rogers

Probably didnt dot an i or cross a T on your 4473, and now they are in a panic.
    "If the rule you followed brought you to this,
    of what use was the rule?"

He who cares least, wins. ;)

Probably didnt dot an i or cross a T on your 4473, and now they are in a panic
    You aren't kidding. The manager of my local Big 5 called me late one evening asking for a better copy of my paperwork as some bigwigs from corporate were coming in to do an inspection and they were trying to get all their stuff in order.

My guess would be that they screwed up the paperwork somehow and are all freaked out to get it right. Just remember that you did nothing wrong (assuming you weren't doing anything shady) and that they are the ones who need to fix the situation.

Did you by chance get delayed in your purchase? If so did you sign the 4473 again when you came back in to pick up the gun? I have heard of a gun shop forgetting that step and when the BATFE discovers the discrepancy the shop will have to send it to the buyer to get signed.

Probably didnt dot an i or cross a T on your 4473, and now they are in a panic.
    I think this is it. Two major chains locally seem to have massive internal-audit functions on their 4473's. One of them will make you re-do the form if you list your street address ending with "Rd." instead of "Road."

Big 5 is pretty notorious for being anal-retentive about dealings with the ATF (this is understandable). It often gets to the point where they make up policies that inconvenience their customers even though nothing illegal is being proposed or suggested (this is unprofessional and bad customer service).

My first thought was that they were concerned that you were buying too many guns for one person "for household use" and probably assume you are organizing a militia, which, even if you were, would be completely legal and none of their business...

I got a call from a dealer on one gun I got asking if I could come down and cross one of the "Ts."

So big deal. I went over there and made the correction.

I figure dealers are in the crossfire on 4473s, why endanger them further by not making the correction?

It's not just "their" problem.

It's "our" problem, too.

One thing I suggested when I was down there was that the counter help have a cardboard template with holes for the answers, so they could just lay the template down on the form and see if anything was missing, and maybe have labels on the template that say "Need Full County Spelled out" or "Need full State spelled out," and the like.

They did not like the idea.

Seemed logical to me.

Any of you dealers think that's not a good idea?

I had a similar thing happen with a store around here; it turned out the clerk hadn't fully copied down my street address (although it now occurs to me that they somehow, yet, managed to mail me a certified letter!) and asked me to call them to sort it out.

I was ticked off at them for some poor service I'd received earlier, but it occurred to me that being all pouty wasn't going to do anyone any good and might risk the existence of one of the better-stocked stores in the area (the one that doesn't sell Mosins for $250, even if they did buck the price of P-3ATs up by $50 after the election).
    IANAL. TINLA. BYOB.
    You can't spell "B.O.H.I.C.A." without B.H.O.

My first thought was that they were concerned that you were buying too many guns for one person "for household use" and probably assume you are organizing a militia, which, even if you were, would be completely legal and none of their business...
    My local Big 5 manager has told me several times how guys will come in and buy their entire stock of Mosins or M95s at once. They don't seem to care apart from it leaving a big empty section in their gun rack.

Tribal sagely observed,

...it occurred to me that being all pouty wasn't going to do anyone any good and might risk the existence of one of the better-stocked stores in the area...
    Excellent advice!

They probally want to give you some rebates!!!!!!
    NRA Member
    RMEF Life Member
    Location - Mt. WhereinthehellamI? Utah

Nothing out of the ordinary about any of my purchases. I bought the first Mosin on an instant background check which was not delayed, and then the 2nd Mosin and the Steyr on my CFP which was validated both times.

I'm at a loss. It's very hard for me to get to the post office in my 'hood at the times they are open. Crud.
    NRA Life Member

Just because someone sends you a certified letter doesn't mean you HAVE to sign for it and/or pick it up...
    יזכר לא עד פעם (Remember. Never Again.)

Just because someone sends you a certified letter doesn't mean you HAVE to sign for it and/or pick it up...
    And if your smart, you'll always look at the return address before signing of it.

At first I thought it might have been from the ATF, because I requested the form to apply for a C&R license. I could barely make out the "from" box on the notice. Then I finally realized it said "BIG5"

Now I don't know whether I should go get it or not.

(BTW, anyone know how long it takes the ATF to get you a form?)
    NRA Life Member

Cant you just download and print the ATF forms off their site?

Why don't you call Big 5 and see if they can tell you what the letter's about. Then you might be able to deal with the issue without having to screw around with inconvenient post office hours.

At first I thought it might have been from the ATF, because I requested the form to apply for a C&R license. I could barely make out the "from" box on the notice. Then I finally realized it said "BIG5"

Now I don't know whether I should go get it or not.

(BTW, anyone know how long it takes the ATF to get you a form?)
    The ATF doesn't send those forms out by certified mail. Should be a week or two at most to get them. Getting it processed and approved, they can be slow on that though...
    Sic semper tyrannis

Dick's once called and asked me to re-fill out a 4473, and I refused.

As a happier possibility, have you entered any contests through them? Maybe you've won....2 mosins and an M95!
    GO HOGS!

I had a dealer call me one time and they wanted me to come in several weeks after a purchase and provide them with a different photo ID than my state issued CCW (?!?). I finally ended up giving them the number of the ATF field office.
    Lew Wallace was an optimist.

I want my country back!

Dick's once called and asked me to re-fill out a 4473, and I refused.
    Interesting. So if Dick's ever loses their license to sell guns, you won't mind.
    Last edited by dalepres; November 16th, 2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Took out the emotional part.
    Taking the high road does not always, if ever, mean taking the middle road.

As a happier possibility, have you entered any contests through them?
    You know, I vaguely remember entering some contests. But I don't remember that one of them was at Big 5...

I better go get the letter.
    NRA Life Member