Thread: Concerned about the National Elections? Look Here!

Concerned about the National Elections? Look Here!

The foundation of this nation is that the average people would chose the best they could to represent them in government, to put a real fine point on it, the Founders relied very heavily on the goodness of the American people to select only the finest, most upright people for this most important task. They knew that the form of government would mean little if the People did not select quality people from themselves, that would uphold their Heritage and Traditions, even when these representatives were behind the closed doors of the legislative process.

I made an interesting discovery this election process. I found this site, that gave all the districts in Kentucky, who were running and the results of the election http://thehill.capwiz.com/election/g...rowse_races=Go

You will have to scroll down below the Presidential information, select your state, then scroll back up just above the Presidential candidates, to find the tab that says "State Legislature". There you will be able to look at each district in your state, see who was on the ballot, and what the results were. This is also a handy way to send 'one minute emails' to your representatives.

Curiosity got the better of me, knowing a fella here in Kentucky that was in one of these races, to see how he did. As I was looking for him, a strange realization hit me. I would select a district, not knowing what his district number is, and an unseemingly high number of these races were "uncontested". In fact, it so bothered me, that I took to counting them.

In Kentucky, for 2008, we 'elected' 110 representatives to go to Frankfort to carry out our wishes for government, on a state level, this is all the House representatives and a third of the Senate. Of these 110 'elected' representatives, 73 of them were "uncontested".....that is not a typo, nearly 3/4 of the "representatives" in the state capitol of Kentucky are there, just because they filled out some paper work and 'showed up' on election day!

Can you even imagine that? That the population of Kentucky is so satisfied with how things are going in this state that they could care so little about who would represent them? Now I do not know any of these people, no doubt there are many good folks in this crowd of 73, but really, they are all so spot on with their views and desires for this state that no one sees a need to try to improve on their efforts? One of these fellas is from a district that had 1500 registered voters, and only 381 voted, and he got all 381 votes.

So, who is to blame if things in Kentucky are not going in a direction that will preserve our Heritage and Traditions? Can't blame many, except ourselves. We have only really chosen 1/4 of our representatives, that other 3/4, well, they just wondered off the street to do what they will, cause they have no reason not to.

What should we do? Rejoice! What a golden opportunity for American Heritage! Do you realize that for the 2010 elections, that there is a possibility of getting 50 or more Freedom loving Americans in the House of Representatives of the state of Kentucky! Heck, with any luck, we could have a majority of those folks in Frankfort, with an understanding of where this country came from and what needs to be done to bail out this corner of America. What do you want to bet that the folks running for federal level positions from this state would sit up and pay attention as well, cause you know these politicians all use the same hair dresser

Crud! We have 73 counties in Kentucky that have a representative in Frankfort, solely based on the fact that they showed up, 73 counties.

Can you imagine what one, just one, dedicated, determined, willful American could do in an "uncontested" county? Can you imagine what could happen if one, just one, real American stood up in his county and told his friends, neighbors, relatives of the Heritage and Tradition of America that they have been missing out on?

It boggles the mind to be honest with you. To think that in a single state, and I bet there are many others like Kentucky, that there is a giant Apple, ripe for the pickin, just hanging there, eye level, right where you can barely keep from bonking your head on it, and yet, we sit under the tree complaining that we are hungry......

--Folks, the above is a redacted copy from another forum, but the points are all there.

I have since learned that Arkansas and Georgia are in about the same condition as Kentucky!

There is a great opportunity for the good folks of each state, to have a much greater say in how their state is run. We have people 'representing" people, that did not have to earn their seats, they just filled out paper work and "got elected". The Real Americans, those that want to see this nation on the proper course, can just as easily have many of those seats.

I will be posting this on a couple of other boards. But reality is that the national government has run amok. The states will have to either bend over and take what the feds dish out, or they can throw off the shackles of the feds. Not saying leave the Union, there is no need for that. But the states have an incredible amount of power that they are not using, and have abdicated to the feds. They can take it back.

Also, those folks in your state capitol are going to be facing some very, very serious issues in the coming years, they need to know that they have the support of their people, to do the right thing, even in the face of threats from the feds, in the form of lost funds and perhaps law suits.

The federal level is beyond fixing, anytime soon, but the state level? It could be turned around in just two years, in many states.

How about yours? Any 'uncontested' seats in your state? I bet it will surprise you!
    Saving the Nation, one Appleseed Shoot at a time. Ask me how you can help! http://www.appleseedinfo.org

Arizona had only 2 uncontested races.
    8th district state senate, went to R
    2nd district state house, both went to D
    I may be advancing my political future faster than I thought.
    "Touch Not A Cat's Butt At Target"

In Kentucky, for 2008, we 'elected' 110 representatives to go to Frankfort to carry out our wishes for government, on a state level, this is all the House representatives and a third of the Senate. Of these 110 'elected' representatives, 73 of them were "uncontested".
    Easy; 73 districts could only find one guy who knew where Frankfort was.

How many of those were incumbents?

In local elections in MI many positions are UN Contested-most contests are in AUG-primary-25% vote.

This raises another point.

Winning in the primary would be much easier, since turn out is very, very low.

Can you imagine the Freedom loving gun owners having a good candidate on both sides of the ticket, come November? That is the way to fix this situation
    Saving the Nation, one Appleseed Shoot at a time. Ask me how you can help! http://www.appleseedinfo.org

I remember seeing a web page a few years ago that talked about a study that someone did in California. What this study did was collected the names that were turned in at several gun shows for the show raffle and then compared those names to the voter rolls for the county of the gun show and the neighboring counties. He found that only a small portion of those who had attended the gun were registered to vote (I don't remember the exact number but it was on the order of 15%).

There are something like 80 million gun owners in the US. Almost all of these are eligible to vote with only those who are not citizens being ineligible. If even 25% of them voted the gun issue there would not be a single anti gun politician in office. But it appears that even less than this number are even registered to vote and as can be surmised by reading forum posts here many of them do not even consider gun control be to important enough to be a deciding factor in how they will vote.

I attended a gun show several years ago and as usual some NRA members were outside recruiting members and also registering people to vote. Out of curiously I asked them (after letting them know that I was an life NRA member and registered to vote) what kind of response they typically got. I was told that maybe 5% of those asked where NRA members and perhaps 15% were registered to vote. And that virtually none of the non-NRA members, non-voters would join or register. I decided to hang out there for a while to see what happened and this basically confirmed what I had been told.

The lack of participation in the electoral process by gun owners is the real issue we face. I don't know how to fix it and I have yet to see a plan from anyone on how to deal with this issue.

As a side note most of the uncontested races that are seen in many locations are because the real election in that district is the primary election because the district is either heavily Republican or heavily Democratic. In some cases like in California and I assume some other states this is because of gerrymandering. In California this last election the voters passed a proposition to hand redistricting over to a non-partisan commission so this will hopefully fix the gerrymandering issue there at some point.

The OP is correct that the participation issue could be used to our advantage. Now what we need is a plan.

The old fashioned way, get a few bottles of Jack Daniels and Krispy Creme donuts at the polls, as soon as they vote they get their prize.
    See, if it were liberals that I wanted to bribe, I would be giving out free Sushi Rolls.
    The problem is the founding fathers should have conditioned citizenship with voting, or at least property ownership with voting.

^ That's funny! On three counts!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymander

Yeah... Massachusetts. It figures.

The OP is correct that the participation issue could be used to our advantage. Now what we need is a plan.
    “The Revolution was effected before the War commenced. The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments of their duties and obligations. This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people, was the real American Revolution.”
    John Adams

Mr. Adams point is that long before the "Shot heard around the world", the Colonials had already entered into a mind set, and had dedicated themselves to making a change, actually, resisting the imposed changes from the Crown.

There is little chance there they could have been a successful "American Revolution", had there not been an overwhelming support and participation by the people at large.

Lexington/Concord happened on April 19th, 1775. At 10pm on the 18th, the word went out that the British troops (about 900 of them) were about to march. By the time that the British arrived at Concord, about 9 am, there were nearly 1000 men under arms waiting. By the end of that day, about 7 pm, there were 14,000 Colonials involved in the effort. Keep in mind that the population of Boston at the time was 15,000.

Prior to this event, on Sept 1 1774, the British did a powder raid about 9 miles North of Boston. The result was that they took over 250 barrels of powder, and were back in Boston by Noon, no one even knowing that they took the powder, not a shot fired.

The Colonials found out, sent out the alarm, by the end of the day, on Sept 3rd, there were over 60,000 Colonials under arms, marching to Boston. This is twice the total population of that city, and many times larger than the 3700 British troops in that city.

Where did this overwhelming support "for the Cause" come from? (Keep in mind that most at this point were not interested in Independence, but rather the preservation/restoration of their previously held rights and Liberties.)

This support came from the fact that most every citizen (they were subjects then), knew of their Rights. They understood what Liberties they enjoyed and why. To put is simply, they were knowledgeable about their Heritage.

The folks in America today are lacking this connection. The connection of where their Liberties are founded and what has been done on their behalf to secure them.

There is a nation wide effort to help Americans learn about their Heritage and to help motivate them to become active in the preservation of this Heritage.

This program is grass roots, all volunteer and proven very effective. It is the Appleseed Project. http://www.appleseedinfo.org This is a very good, Heritage education program, with a good rifle marksmanship course thrown in.

Many of the people who attend an Appleseed are motivated to get active and to take their Heritage more seriously. Often they wish to become more proactive in preserving their Liberties. These are folks of action, with purpose.

With a group of folks, in a given county, or several counties, coming together, with a common purpose, with a common understanding of their shared Heritage, with the motivation to actually DO something, rather than just whine, they could easily capture some of these uncontested seats.

In fact, it should be the goal of these folks to run against the incumbent in the primary AND have someone run on the opposite party ticket. The worse that could happen is to have two very like minded people on the ticket, opposite of each other. What a terrible situation to be placed in, to try to pick between two candidates that are fighting over how they will best help you preserve your Liberties

It takes very few people to make this a reality. Having a location where folks can come together, meet for the first time, get a dose of Heritage education and have a bunch of fun......this is key to this working. It will take the Hearts and Minds of the folks in a voting district to make this happen.

One of the 300 Appleseed Shoots, nation wide for 2009 might be the location that you meet those folks that have the same Heart and Mind that you have, on many issues. If there is not one near you, or in the area you would like one, let's see if we can get one there....just PM me if you wish to consider this.

There are many good organizations out there, on a state level, that are natural, built in, already established allies. The mention of CCW groups is one source for that.

I have been introduced to a new, budding national organization, that has started to build local/state level groups/teams for consideration of trying to place properly minded folks in to elected offices. (I require some more information, research and discussion before I recommend this approach, just was introduced to them this weekend).

The point of Appleseed is to be that source of initial "wake up" education, that link between the sleeping, apathetic people and the tools/programs/organizations that are already functioning and trying to have a positive impact. It is too daunting and difficult for one organization to 'be everything" in this case. Especially since most of the structure for this effort is already in place. No sense in reinventing the wheel, if it already exists in a location/state.

However, again, most states have one or more groups that are already in place, that are political in nature, that have networks and people that have some experience in this effort.

Part of the problem is lack of interest or lack of knowledge on the part of the average citizen, to know that this effort (to put good people in office) is possible or exists.

Strategy? Well, there may be 50 or different ones, since this effort is going to be grass roots, state level focused.

Perhaps a list per state of those good groups that exist? Or at least some good groups, per state, that have an interest in this sort of effort.

Information gathering, and strategy formulation seems to be what we need. Who wants to spear head this? monitor the contacts, perhaps maintain the list of cooperative groups in a thread?

The education tool in in place, with Appleseed. What is good about this program is that it is willing to go to any location that will host it. It is non-profit, all volunteer, and is already doing this sort of work.

We now need the local/state level organizations that can take a group of woken up Americans and help them see how they can help this effort to get good people in office.....Some already exist in states, but we need to introduce these two orgs together, so work together on this effort.

Thoughts?

Lack of interest? Or just full of Turkey

Our window of opportunity is open, waiting until the next election is way too late.

Primaries will be in the Spring/Summer of 2010, and we need an educated electorate and some candidates well before then.

Some elements to this effort:

1) Education Program:
    --An "awakening" program = Appleseed
    --A political education program = Campaign For Liberty or some other state level group.

2) Action Program:
    --Campaign for Liberty or some other state level group
    --County/District level effort, to "get out the vote". (this is already in place with Campaign for Liberty, with many of the "positions" not filled. We could easily fill it with folks from here, willing to actually do something about this)

3) Political Campaigns
    --Developed from the above efforts
    --Ensuring that "we" have someone running the 'uncontested' person in the primary, regardless of party. Unless this person is FIRMLY in "our camp".
    --Ensuring that "we" have someone running on the opposite side of the Ballot, just to be sure that what ever choice is made by the voter, it is the "correct choice".

Folks, this is very, very doable. One election here in Kentucky with 1500 registered voters, uncontested, won with just 381 votes cast, all for him. Imagine what his vote count was in the primary? I bet it was under 100, if he even had to run in the primary.

The Key to the plan is Education, we can use the already established Appleseed Program to get us started.

They will place an Appleseed, anywhere it is safe to shoot. Commercial range, private land, etc. So, we can take our message in on the backs of these events, to break the ice. Get a few folks in that area to come on board, and we are off and running.

Will it be 100% effective, no, but even at 25%, in Kentucky, we are looking at 20+ very like minded folks in a legislature of 100, that starts to become a very viable force, toss in those that are already there, who are friendly, now we have a majority.

Doable, very doable.