Thread: .22 lr match ammo

.22 lr match ammo

As we know, .22 rf arms are just as sensitive to ammo as centerfire rifles and pistols. Since all .22 lr ammo is store bought, its a matter of trial and error to find the fodder your weapon likes. I recently made another run at finding the right ammo to use in my rifle and revolver. Each has its own tastes. Starting with the rifle, top accuracy in the past has been achieved with RWS R50s. This is excellent stuff, but expensive. Current prices run about $130 for a brick. After trying several less expensive types of match ammo, including Federal Premium Gold Metal sub-sonic, Aguila Match Rifle and Wolf Match Extra, I found the Wolf delivered excellent accuracy in my JC Higgins (Marlin) rifle, at about half the price of the R50s. One target hanging on my wall measures .375" CTC for 5 rounds from a rest at 50 yards.

Yesterday, I went to the range again, this time with my S&W M-17 revolver (aka a K-22). I tried the Wolf, the Aguila, some RWS R-100 and the aforementioned Federal Premium (aka 711B). All are subsonic and in the past the pistol has preferred hi velocity Winchester Wildcats over the expensive R50s. This time, it turned in .75", 5 round groups at 25 yards from a rest with the Federal ammo. The Aguila was close at about 1", the rest were much bigger. Cost of the Federal match ammo is only $40 per brick, a real bargain.

All this goes to show that every .22 lr firearm is unique. You cannot predict which match ammo will deliver the best accuracy in any given arm, only trial and error will uncover the truth. Its the rimfire equivalent of load development. My lesson learned is, if you check enough different types of match ammo, you may find some bargains that are just as accurate as the high priced stuff. The cheapest promotional ammo is not even close. Good luck - CW

Yeah, it's funny how it works out . . .our .22 pistols seem to like Federal Gold Match, (Ruger Mk II Gov't and Browning Buckmark) but my rifles prefer something with a bit more velocity . . especially when you get out to about 50 yards.

My rifle loves R50, but the problem with that is it is very difficult to get much ammo of it because it's made in such small lots. It's much easier to get Midas M, which costs about the same. I've had equal luck with both of those. The best stuff I've ever shot though is the old nickle cased RWS ammo. Target ripped 100 yards at .375". If you ever can get yourself some of that old stuff, buy it all.
    Remember The -----------5---77-7-----------
    -------------------5-6-7--7------------------
    ----------------55-----------------5-8-5---5-
    ------------------------------------------8--- Man!

These work well for me.

Eley Match
    Lapua Master
    Wolf match

fed. match works sell in lr. 6or $7 a 50rnd box at wally world

Yeah, I've tried a lot of ammo, and I'm happy to say (because it cheap) that Federal Gold Match works better in my 10/22 than the rest!
    "Guns are swell" - me

Is Aguila "SuperExtra" standard velocity or their "Golden Eagle Match" ammo good enough to order a case without trying a box of it first? (I don't know where I can buy less than 5000 rounds) I'll be using it in a Ruger .22 target pistol. CCI Standard Velocity is getting kind of expensive, and either of these *should* be a step up.

OTOH, my gun actually likes Remington "Golden Bullets" (but it's not quite consistent enough for target shooting) Everybody else I know hates the stuff.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" —Kenny Rogers

If anyone is interested, Sportsman's Guide has RWS R50 for $128-$130/brick (even less if your in their buyer's program). Factor in a discount code for $10 off and it is even less than Champion Shooter's price (under a case). [If you are in OH, it is even cheaper than CS per case if you factor in taxes.]

(I only bought a brick last night for Nat Ammo Day as money is a bit tight at the moment and I still have half a case.)
    - Ron V.

ME + TYPING = NOT GOOD