Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the left thinks of us.

What the left thinks of us.

Please note the real story is in the comments. You must go to the link for them:

http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiw...-right-sucker-

Gun sales and the paranoid right: A sucker born every minute
    By David Neiwert Wednesday Nov 12, 2008 1:20pm

Before Election Day, the NRA was doing what it always does: Raising the specter of the liberal bogeyman -- you know, the Incipient Dictator Who Wants To Take Your Guns Away -- in the person of Barack Obama. See, for instance, this ad.

So it shouldn't really be a big surprise that, after the election, one of the only segments of the retail economy that did well was in guns:

Weapons dealers in much of the United States are reporting sharply higher sales since Barack Obama won the presidency a week ago.

Buyers and sellers attribute the surge to worries that Obama and a Democratic-controlled Congress will move to restrict firearm ownership, despite the insistence of campaign aides that the president-elect supports gun rights and considers the issue a low priority. Video Watch shoppers snap up guns of all types

According to FBI figures for the week of November 3 to 9, the bureau received more than 374,000 requests for background checks on gun purchasers -- a nearly 49 percent increase over the same period in 2007. Conatser said his store, Virginia Arms Company, has run out of some models -- such as the AR-15 rifle, the civilian version of the military's M-16 -- and is running low on others.

Such assault weapons are among the firearms that gun dealers and customers say they fear Obama will hit with new restrictions, or even take off the market.

There is also a racial component to these fears, which surfaces in attitudes like those voiced in this NYT piece about the decline of the South's political influence:

"I am concerned," Gail McDaniel, who owns a cosmetics business, said in the parking lot of the Shop and Save. "The abortion thing bothers me. Same-sex marriage."

"I think there are going to be outbreaks from blacks," she added. "From where I'm from, this is going to give them the right to be more aggressive."

But mostly, this is paranoia about gun ownership whipped up by the NRA:

The NRA believes Mr. Obama would restrict handguns and raise taxes on ammunition, effectively quintupling the cost of bullets.

"Barack Obama would be the most anti-gun president in history - bar none," NRA chief lobbyist Chris Cox wrote in a Washington Post op-ed last month.

It's those allegations that seem to have caught the attention of certain gun owners.

"They're like, 'Hey, maybe I should buy one of these before they become illegal,' " Mr. Chee said, going so far as to add: "If you look in any NRA magazine or you're into guns, you see a lot of bills that are in the works."

Mind you, there is no indication whatsoever that Obama intends to make gun control a priority in his first term. It went largely unmentioned during the campaign, except this brief allusion during his Denver acceptance speech:

The reality of gun ownership may be different for hunters in rural Ohio than for those plagued by gang-violence in Cleveland, but don't tell me we can't uphold the Second Amendment while keeping AK-47s out of the hands of criminals.

Indeed, when the gun-sales data emerged, the Obama camp had this to say:

"What people do is their own business, and if they decide to go out and buy guns they'll go out and buy guns, assuming that they are eligible to buy guns," John Podesta, the co-chairman of Obama's transition team, told reporters Sunday. "But I think that President-elect Obama has been clear in his campaign that what he wants to focus on is the economy, trying to get jobs growing again, dealing with the health care crisis, and dealing with our dependence on foreign oil."

It's worth remembering, perhaps, that the NRA is largely underwritten by the arms-manufacturing industry. So of course it makes sense for them to fearmonger an Obama presidency as much as possible -- you can see the results right now.

The people snapping up all those guns right now? Well, right-wing outfits like the NRA wouldn't exist if not for P.T. Barnum's famous observation.
    For the most part, any notice of facts is ignored.

http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiw...-right-sucker-

Minnesota - nine months of ice and snow...three months of tough sledding.
    But the politician SAID he won't take anyone's guns but the "gang bangers". guns. The world has such a great history of politicians doing exactly what they say.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys."
    -Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle-

It's worth remembering, perhaps, that the NRA is largely underwritten by the arms-manufacturing industry.

Now that has to make you think, who are the real 'crooks and liars' here?

The NRA could not exist without it's membership, and support by individual gun owners.
    ------------------------------------
    si vis pacem, para bellum
    NRA Life Member, SAF Life Member, NJCSD Member

From the comments:
    I used to favor strict gun control, until the prospect of a martial law coup by Bush made me reconsider. The citizens of the banana republics are not allowed to have guns. The number of guns in private hands may have prevented America from becoming a fascist state.
    Let us all bask in the brilliance of this bit of wisdom.
    IANAL. TINLA. BYOB.
    You can't spell "B.O.H.I.C.A." without B.H.O.

Mind you, there is no indication whatsoever that Obama intends to make gun control a priority in his first term.
    Emphasis added.

This should make me feel better...why, exactly?

The truth is that HE doesn't need to make it a priority ....

The Diane Feinstein's, Ted Kennedy's and Shumer's of the Congress will keep it one of their priorities

And don't think for a minute that Obama will go against his own party and veto something brought to him to sign. He will sign any and every piece on anti-gun legislation that hits his desk.

The truth is that HE doesn't need to make it a priority ....

The Diane Feinstein's, Ted Kennedy's and Shumer's of the Congress will keep it one of their priorities
    Um. Let's think about Joe Biden. You know, the VP has a LOT of free time to pursue his agenda.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

whisper-
    I dont see why you would say that. i think Obama wants a second term like any president. He is a smart guy. what is in it for him to go along with feinstein et al on this? Seems to me it would be good play for him in middle america to NOT sign stuff like that and focus on making a good economy so he gets reelected. I have no doubt the gun banning crowd in congress will try and put something through. I dont trust any politician, but i look and see what will be good for their reelection and predict the future based on that and i just dont see how playing to the ultra left of the party works for him. remember, he will be pres of the USA, not california. Unfortunately, i think there will be a gridlock in congress because of idiots like feinstein thinking this is their party time and Obama shooting most of it down. I think you all bought too much into the right wing hype on obama, he's just a politician like any other.
    Now that said, i do beleive we will see obama try and placate that side more in a second term, but i also think the right will get some seats back and even things up more by then.
    Im sure many will have some ultra right vitriol for me, but sometime rational analysis has to be said.

I dont trust any politician, but i look and see what will be good for their reelection and predict the future based on that and i just dont see how playing to the ultra left of the party works for him.
    As much as we might like to think so, signing an AWB is not playing to the ultra left. A whole heck of a lot of people still don't know what the first one actually banned and would probably support a new one or at least not care too much. Remember that Clinton was reelected after he signed the AWB.
    "Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place." - Frederic Bastiat, The Law

Personally, four or eight years from now, I'd love to be able to say "those libs were absolutely right about that!"

And during the Clinton years, the only "terrorists" worth tracking were old, fat white militiamen who owned ARs and AKs. Even after 9/11, many of the Feds were still unwilling to believe anyone other than militiamen were a threat.

I read one full page of comments.

I can say 90% of the posters were as ignorant, insulting, and denigrating as the people they were crying about.

I feel bad for these people.
    Why do you need your magnum? Elk were hunted till they where near extinction with the 30-30.

The right to keep and arm bears shall not be infringed.

You have just described 90% of the posters on any given forum.
    Why, thank you CoLJ. It is pleasant to have a new member come out right off the bat and tell us what he really thinks of us.

Pops
    Armed and Safe - not just a theory

If it is time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
    Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."

I can't count how many articles I've seen like this, so far. But I wonder how many publications will remember that they even printed this: (emphasis, mine)

Buyers and sellers attribute the surge to worries that Obama and a Democratic-controlled Congress will move to restrict firearm ownership, despite the insistence of campaign aides that the president-elect supports gun rights and considers the issue a low priority
    .........and then remark what a liar he truly is, after he turns the dogs of hoplophobia loose. But I don't suppose it will do any good to keep reminding them about it, as I'm sure they'll have some wonderful excuse later.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.".......John F. Kennedy

Its a big crock of brown stinky bovine gravy!
    Charter member PWU (Pud Whackers Unanimous!)

WTF

Taking a politican's word as the truth? They never lie right?
    Gun control is like fighting drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to buy cars.

WTF

Taking a politican's word as the truth? They never lie right?

"They have nothing else... no jobs, little education, and not much money. The future doesn't look bright for them." - from comments

LOL
    Gun control is like fighting drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to buy cars.

I used to favor strict gun control, until the prospect of a martial law coup by Bush made me reconsider. The citizens of the banana republics are not allowed to have guns. The number of guns in private hands may have prevented America from becoming a fascist state.
    That's a big part of what changed me from ambivalent to pro RKBA. I guess that's one good thing Bush did.

But, I always believe what the left says. I mean their soooooo factual and would never lie or exaggerate to the public.
    "Stupid is as stupid does"

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they're not REALLY out to get me....

The reality of gun ownership may be different for hunters in rural Ohio than for those plagued by gang-violence in Cleveland, but don't tell me we can't uphold the Second Amendment while keeping AK-47s out of the hands of criminals.
    For cryin' out loud, can't they come up with a new talking point? It's as though these politicians and reporters are talking dolls: pull the string and they say the same thing again and again.

And it wasn't irrational paranoia that caused guns and magazines to skyrocket in price in 1994, it was the actions of Bill Clinton. It was also those same actions that cost the Democrats control of congress for 12 years, something Obama should be reminded of.

Since I started this thread...

Here is a thought. If times changed for the worse, how many of these people would you willingly lend a fire arm too?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozarks View Post
    Here is a thought. If times changed for the worse, how many of these people would you willingly lend a fire arm too?
    None. As Kurt Russell would say, "Sorry, but they're all being used!"
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.".......John F. Kennedy