Thread: No Parking at the Gun Show

No Parking at the Gun Show

I went, today, with my three year old daughter to the gun show at the Jamil Temple in Columbia, South Carolina. There was no parking. We looked for 20 minutes before squeezing into a space on the front lawn. It took another 10 minutes in line to pay and get to the first display table. The place was packed.

Is this the true measure of change in the federal district? Is this a freak event or is this a trend?

-Gene

Probably a trend. I went to a gun show with my son in Jackson, Ms. yesterday and at opening time there was a line waiting to get in. One of the local fellows who said he attends on a frequent basis claime he had never seen it that packed.

Our shows have been packed the last 4 weeks and it seems like each weekend the crowd gets even larger.

Ammo and magazine sales are through the roof, and gun sales are up well above normal.

Our main wholesaler is completely out of 7.62x39, 7.62x51 and 5.56 and has a small supply of 5.7x28 left which will most likely be gone before the close of business tomorrow. And we can not get an estimate of when they will be getting new shipments in. Their instructions are to "stay in touch".

I thought '95 was "intense", but it pales in comparison to this.

Before the end of the year I have 4 more shows I've committed to (next 4 weekends) but I don't know if we will manage to obtain enough stock to do them all. Tomorrow morning we start working the phones.
    Last edited by contenderman; November 16th, 2008 at 07:04 PM. Reason: crummy typing
    The ONLY thing certain in life is DEATH. Live each day to its' FULLEST!

The change is what happened November 4th.

It's gonna last until at least late January.
    "Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect."
    -- Steven Wright

I could see it lasting well into the next year, and possibly dropping off sometime around May.

Anyway, this could be good for shooters in the long run. Just think, if demand stays high, they might increase production, and so when it drops off, surplus supply might just make all ammo cheaper.

Well, one can hope
    "Lenin at least had an excuse for his mindlessness: he died of syphillis." - Standing Wolf
    "Remember, Remember The Fifth of November!"
    "It's not my Goal in life to be appropriate."

Well crap, I didn't even know there was a show this weekend. I would have been there for sure.

FWIW, I have found the Columbia shows to be more crowded than the Greenville ones. Not that there's more people there, but the Carolina First Center has actual parking to speak of and is much larger. Looking forward to the upcoming show on the 20th of December.

The Washington Arms Collector shows have been packed since October.
    "The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired." Washington State Constitution

I haven't been to a WAC show since the October Puyallup one. It's bound to be packed this December and I don't feel like waiting in line at 7am. I'll just have my friend pick me up some goods on Friday when he helps set up a table, or use the staff entrance early Saturday before the gates open.

How were the registration lines, long?

I am from Columbia and was at the show Saturday. I have been going off and on for years, never have I seen that many people. Ammo and components were selling out, many people buying guns also. It's part of the buying panic that has seized everyone.

Administrator   
    5,700 Attend Ricmond [VA] Gun Show

Decent article, though the fear-mongering from the organizers turns me off (see last paragraph of article). As a dealer we are not participating since we don't know what form(s) any anti-gun bills will take next year.
    EFI, LLC - 07 FFL / C2 SOT in Inwood, WV - Custom Firearms & Gunsmithing

Tank Vest - PALS Gear for Your Motorcycle Gas Tank

I found this odd. The last gun show I attended a few weeks back was oddly empty. Probably more to do with the dropping of the quality of the shows up here.
    Last edited by rscalzo; November 17th, 2008 at 11:53 AM.

I arrived at the Columbia,SC show at 8:40. The line was already 200+ long.
    When I left at 10:30, there was probably 1,000 in line
    The fire marshal was letting 1 in for every 1 that left.

lawson4
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Certified Training Counselor
    NRA RTBAV Regional Counselor

I have been working guns shows this year, for KC3. Sept was good, October was a little better, then Nov hit, and the weekend before the election people were reading the tea leaves, and 30 minutes before it should have been open people were scrambling all over themselves to get in. Case lots of Ammo, and new guns to go with the ammo.

I even panic'd myself and picked up a Kel Tec Carbine in 9 mm. I figured they might not be available after the election.
    Robby
    NRA, USCCA, KC3 member

New gun buyers were 6 deep at the counter of Cabela's last Friday, and Cabela's is not exactly known for its bargain prices. I've been there maybe 6 times, and easily saw more firearms purchases in one hour that day than in all my other visits combined.
    "What's good for me might not be good for the weak-minded."- Augustus McRae