Thread: Belgian Flintlock?

Belgian Flintlock?

I have a flintlock with Liege proofs all over it but no national markings at all. In general, it looks like a Charleville except the lock plate is unusually long and extends rearwards though not as far back as a Lorenz or anything (and not a back lock). The wood is a replacement but everything else is original as far as I can tell. I'll see what kind of photos I can post when I get a chance. Any idea who the Belgians made flintlock smooth-bore muskets for?

Ash

I've read that flintlocks were made as late as the 1960's for the African native market.

Also many makes and models of arms were made under contract by Belgian gunmakers for about anybody that cared to order them.

I've read that flintlocks were made as late as the 1960's for the African native market.
    True. Stoeger listed a number of different versions in The Shooter's Bible in the 1950s and later.

I saw some for sale in a hardware store in the early to mid '60s.

I stupidly pulled back the cock and pulled the trigger on one of them. The bright shower of spark was very embarrassing.

Rather crudely made, as I recall.

The marks present, however, as well as condition of the metal, tend to indicate considerably older than African market. The stock, also, is too new (and stained) to be African market. It is very similar to the Belgian 1808 but again the lock plate is unmarked. As I have a considerable number of swords from the era, both at the end of the 18th and beginning of the 19th centuries, I am comfortable with the age of the metal parts. However, I'm just not as well-versed with non Austrian, British, or French flintlocks to really say much.

Ash

My Pietta Colt 1851 came with the cut at the bottom of the grip frame. I've seen the buttstocks for sale for the same. They come with, or you order separately, the extended hammer screw that makes it work. I found the buttstock at one of the regular BP gun sellers, maybe it was Taylor's or maybe it was Dixie. I don't recall. I do remember the buttstock costing almost as much as the gun.