Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Shop Shooting Itself In Foot!

Gun Shop Shooting Itself In Foot!

I recently went into a gun shop near where I live to see if they had any AR-15's in stock. There was a guy there installing a butt stock on a shotgun (gunsmith?) who asked if he could help me. I told him the reason I was there and he told me that he didn't think that they had any in stock. At which point I told him that seemed to be the case everywhere I had been to. Then he made the statement that he couldn't see any reason to buy or own an AR-15. This just blew me away, I couldn't believe that someone working in a gun shop would even think of making a statement like that. Needless to say, they will never see any of my business there. Has anyone else came across this sort of thing while looking for a gun?
    "Left handed people are the only ones in their 'right' mind."

Guns have a use. Idiots with guns scare me! - Charles Bronson DeathWish IV

Darn HK fanboys...
    IANAL. TINLA. BYOB.
    You can't spell "B.O.H.I.C.A." without B.H.O.

A car salesman probably wouldn't want to drive half the stuff he sells. He has a right to peddle his inventory without wanting one of his own. Heck, if I worked in a gun shop, I couldn't see myself owning a 25ACP or some wood-stocked side-by-side. I'll sell one for the commission though. A business sells what customers want, even if you don't care much for it. You have a right to vote with your dollars...

...but I don't think I'd scream and tell the world about how terrible he is and how you'll never ever spend a penny at a business that doesn't 100% agree with your own viewpoints.

The local shop I go to doesn't stock any modern guns except for the few trades he gets and the handguns he orders. Mostly old Bolt actions, SKS rifles, and AK-47s.

He's stated that he owns a few ARs but shoots his SKSs far more often because they work all of the time.
    "Lenin at least had an excuse for his mindlessness: he died of syphillis." - Standing Wolf
    "Remember, Remember The Fifth of November!"
    "It's not my Goal in life to be appropriate."

Strangely -- the US has been far more successful in wars fought WITHOUT AR-15 variants than with it. I suspect the vast majority of people, including gun owners, could do quite well without ever owning an AR-15. Was his crime honestly stating his opinion?
    "The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired." Washington State Constitution

Meh, what do I care what the guy at the gun shop likes or dislikes? Unless the shop is generally unethical or incompetent, all I really need to know is what I want and whether I can get it for a decent price.
    "Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place." - Frederic Bastiat, The Law

It sounds like the underlying issue is a gunstore ready to toss someone under the bus. That is a store I would not support, given today's political situation.

Plus bad salemanship. Independant of the product sold, that is a really bad way to treat a customer. I (well really the wife) has her own retail business. She does a lot of customized products.

Sometimes customers want things that violate her own sense of good taste. Do you know what you do? Respectfully suggest alternatives, but if the customer is firm, treat them like they made a great choice.

Then he made the statement that he couldn't see any reason to buy or own an AR-15.
    Truth to tell, I see no reason for me to buy an AR-15, because I find them ugly, and believe the .223 cartridge is well suited to varmint hunting, not self-defense. That said™, if I owned a gun shop, I'd carry what my customers and prospects wanted, including firearms I didn't care for.
    No tyrant should ever be allowed to die a natural death.

I have no reason to own an AR, I also have no reason to own a single six, or any of my old 22's, or my HMR or my 243 or my HM2's. All we REALLY need to need is a shotgun, perfect for self defense and for hunting anything on 2 or four legs.

But I also don't need to eat pizza, Steak, mashed potatoes, Caesar salad, burrito's.................

Meh, what do I care what the guy at the gun shop likes or dislikes? Unless the shop is generally unethical or incompetent, all I really need to know is what I want and whether I can get it for a decent price.
    A lot of commonsense here.A whole lot.

This just blew me away, I couldn't believe that someone working in a gun shop would even think of making a statement like that. Needless to say, they will never see any of my business there.
    Why do you care what a $7.56/hour laborer says? If you listened to every person that made a negative comment, you would have NO place to buy anything.

I don't like little black rifles either. Are you going to take my word and then not purchase from anyone?!

I'm more a steel and walnut guy myself, probably because those are the types of guns I was raised with. Some people hold a pretty strict view of guns for utility over guns for . . . they don't know what people want with them. For some it could be generational. An old family friend owned one of the prominent gun stores in town. WWII vet, very conservative, traditional view on gun aesthetics. An old customer went in one day and said he wanted to get a "black shotgun." You know, high-cap, short barrel, etc. The owner was proud that he didn't carry such things, saw no use for them. Nope, couldn't help him out. So the customer went to another store and bought one. That customer was the owner's son-in-law.

Some people are just pretty set in their ways.

Strangely -- the US has been far more successful in wars fought WITHOUT AR-15 variants than with it. I suspect the vast majority of people, including gun owners, could do quite well without ever owning an AR-15. Was his crime honestly stating his opinion?
    That has more to do with gun control killing our ability to create replacements like we did back in the day.
    Remember The -----------5---77-7-----------
    -------------------5-6-7--7------------------
    ----------------55-----------------5-8-5---5-
    ------------------------------------------8--- Man!

What we really need is the ability to import Norinco M14's!

Everyone is entitled to his opinion. I tend not to stock 1911s because I think they suck as self defense guns (that said, I currently have 3 in stock). I see the virtues of them and if someone wants one I can understand that. But I will never be Mr.1911 gun shop.
    So what? If I have a 1911 and you want one, then buy it. If not then don't. I don't see why someone needs to have a gun shop that agrees with his particular likes and dislikes.

I'll dissent from the general consensus here. It sounds like typical gunshop poor salesmanship. The guy offered a negative opinion on what you the customer have decided you want. It's like the last time I went into a shop that was listed online as a Dan Wesson dealer and I asked about a Bobtail Commander. The blowhard proceeded to tell me that he doesn't stock Dan Wesson and what crappy guns they are anyway and why on earth would I be so stupid to actually want one? Needless to say, I haven't been back. I think the guy in the OP's store is a FUDD and a blowhard for telling the OP that his choice of firearm was a stupid decision. Probably just lost a customer for life. Go somewhere else where they appreciate your business and will help you buy what you want.

I won't ever go back to Scheels after they refused to order a Saiga for me - this after telling me that they would order any gun I wanted

When I worked behind a gun counter, I sold a lot of guns that I wouldn't have particularly wanted to spend my own money on. Still I never disparaged a customer's desires.
    Governments don't live together. People live together.

We have one shop here that is notorious. A customer of mine went there to order a Taurus .44mag. The clerk told him, if you want that gun you're an idiot. You need the S&W (which was out of his price range).
    The customer left and never went back.

I would never disparage a customer's choice. I might question them as to why they want that particular gun ("A police officer told me Glocks are the most reliable gun out there") and advise accordingly.

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.

I see no reason for me to buy an AR-15, because I find them ugly,
    My wife thinks that AR-15s are "feminine" and that Glocks are attractive. Her explanation is that she had no preconcieved ideas before she began shooting, so her concept of attractiveness is based on what she likes to shoot. She carries an XD-9, but I think she has more affection for her G-23, her first gun.
    “It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.”
    — Thomas Sowell

There are guns I like and those I don't. I carried an AR15 or one of the variants for 20 years while I worked for my Uncle. That said, I don't particularly like them, even though I own one. I see the utility, but it just doesn't do anything for me.

I guess I'm a FUDD, because I hunt every weekend. I'm a shooter too, firing a couple of thousand rifle shots a year. Mostly from bolt-action and single shot rifles.

I've never fired a Glock, but know lots of guys who like them and carry them. They're damned fine firearms, but they don't hold any interest for me.

I know some gun shops who specialize in a given type of firearm and don't like to deal in other types. One shop of my acquaintance is a lever-action shop and isn't really interested in other types. Another one likes to deal in antique firearms and doesn't get excited about the latest newfangled boom stick. It's all what floats your boat, I guess.

That said, the best thing for the guy at the gunshop to have done would be to tell the customer where he could find the gun he was looking for.

As gun owners we should support each other. The FUDDS and the Tactical-Tommy's are going to have to save our intellectual discussions for the campfire and present a united front against the political discussion that is becoming obvious.

Administrator   
    There are guns I like and do not like. If asked for an opinion of firearm ABC versus XYZ, I will give it. Otherwise, if a customer asks us to price out a particular firearm and it's not necessarily one that I like or would purchase for myself, I will keep my mouth shut and quote a price.
    EFI, LLC - 07 FFL / C2 SOT in Inwood, WV - Custom Firearms & Gunsmithing

Tank Vest - PALS Gear for Your Motorcycle Gas Tank

At the Risk of Stereotyping...

...when I hear someone say that they have no use for an AR-15, I am more inclined to suspect that it's more likely because he doesn't consider it a hunting rifle than that he doesn't consider it an adequate rifle for military purposes. Unless he goes on to qualify his statement, shifting himself into the latter category, I will likely view him as part of the crowd that weakens us by taking the position that it's okay to ban x guns so long as you leave my y guns alone. Given any reasonable option, I would choose not to give my business to such people.

Was this the owner of the shop? ... I get the impression that you didn't know who the person was.

Had you been in this shop before? Again I get the impression that you had not.

Before you condemn the shop, consider going back and asking for the owner, even if it's the same guy behind the counter. If the guy says that he is the owner, either ask him if he'd clarify his earlier statement(s) or just thank him and walk out. If he's not the owner and you do get to talk to the owner ... ask him if the statement(s) are the position of the shop or ones guy's (employee's) rambling and if it is the latter ... suggest that the employee may not be doing his business a lot of good.

If you determine it's the shops position ... then I could support a decision to not shop there.

Small shops are a dying breed and need all the support they can get. I'd sure hate to see a guy go under just because he has an employee that rubs potential customers the wrong way when he is not around.

Of course these are just my ramblings too ....
    The ONLY thing certain in life is DEATH. Live each day to its' FULLEST!

As gun owners we should support each other. The FUDDS and the Tactical-Tommy's are going to have to save our intellectual discussions for the campfire and present a united front against the political discussion that is becoming obvious.
    This is the key to it all. I'm not a hunter but would fight just as hard against a "high powered sniper rifle" ban as I would against an "assault weapon" ban. We're all in this together.
    "A house divided cannot stand..."

A gun shop (or any other business oriented to shooting sports) that doesn't support my right to own any gun I want, particularly in the current political atmosphere, will not get my business. Someone at the counter expressing the opinion that no one really needs to own an AR-15 (or any other type of firearm) has the potential to influence those who are not yet gun owners or the general public if he is interviewed by media (as seems to be happening a lot now given the Obama surge in gun sales). Expressing an opinion like this just gives more ammo to the anti-gunners (per Zumbo) and makes our fight to keep our firearms rights more difficult.

I do not understand/have no interest in: double barrel shotguns, trapshooting, cowboy action shooting, 25 lb bench rest rifles, single shot T/C handguns. I do, however, support those endeavors at my local club and would fight for the right of people to own those types of firearms and participate in those shooting sports.

We have to support each other. Anti-gunners hate all guns. FUDDs like this guy at the gun shop counter who do not understand this should be out of the gun business.