Thread: Shooting accurately while tired

Shooting accurately while tired

So, as of late i have noticed a problem.

My sleep schedule does not play nice with when the local range is open, so i must go short on sleep to shoot.

Since this has started, Ive noticed 2 problems, with more im sure im simply not noticing.

1- Lack of focus
    I find it harder to time my breath to wind gusts and stuff. I shoot more "flyers" and I blame it to the lack of focus.

2- Shaking muscles
    I tend to tense more, and get my muscles shaking. I only have rifles, so I've noticed nothing in the hands, its all in the arms/sholders. Once the shaking starts, I cant stop it.

Does anyone have an answer to this becides more sleep? I know there must be techniques to help with this, I mean im only short a couple hours, that's nothing compared to what soldiers must face. So, any hints as to stop this?

Do any of you deal with such problems?

Power nap of not more then 20 minutes long of actual sleep.
    , Bill Weddle

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Practice ANYWAY!

Especially if you plan to use a firearm for self-defense.

If you are ever attacked (G-d forbid), what do you think is the likelihood of that attack coming when you are well rested?

At least this way, you'll KNOW you can do what you need to do, even if you're fatigued. Dead-tired does not equal dead.

Just to make it more fun, do twenty push-ups and then a hundred-yard sprint before each string

It's certainly interesting to see how condition affects group size...just remember that it's never going to get better in the real world.
    "Training errors are recorded on paper. Tactical errors are etched in stone." -Erwin Rommel
    Explanations exist: they have existed for all times, for there is always an easy solution to every problem neat, plausible and wrong. - H.L. Mencken

Sleep Depravation training was common when I was in the Army. Try driving an M110A2 howitzer in black out drive after 3 days of no sleep.

The idea was to train under the worst possible conditions to make the real thing easier.

I suggest you use this time to practice your skills under less than optimal conditions. If you wear glasses try shooting without. Shoot in the cold, shoot in the rain. If possible, shoot at night.

As was suggested run a hundred yard dash then try to get 2 rounds on target.

It'll suck while you're doing it but it will make you a better shooter.
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

Caffeine

I also work strange hours, resulting in sleep deprivation. The suggestions above are good.

Be aware of your caffeine intake. Coffee is the usual source but don't ignore tea and soft drinks. Taken with sugar, stress to your body is intensified.

I do my best to minimize consumption, black only. I use instant to mix 50-50 or 60-40, reserving full intensity for the bad days.
    If the sun's up, you still have a pulse and background radiation levels are nominal -- everything else is gravy! ChAir Force Specialty Code 1825K // My oath to "defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic" has no DOS. . . .

The classical dietary stressors are:

Caffeine
    Sugar
    Fat
    Salt

I try to skip the caffeine before going to the range. I don't consume much of the others.

My sleep schedule does not play nice with when the local range is open, so i must go short on sleep to shoot.
    Try Gator-Aid diluted with water by 50%.

Second FOCUS! Your attention is wandering because you are tired.

Seems that a lot more than just your shooting is suffering.

One of the tactical matches I attended had a stage where we made a 200 yard, climbed up a 5 story tower, then had to make a called CNS shot on a target behind double pane glass (125 yards) followed by a second CNS shot 15 feet to the side (no glass) within 5 seconds.

It was tough but I managed to put hits through the left eye on both targets. I shot the stage just after lunch while feeling fat and lazy. It had me worried.

I agree with the others. Cut back on the caffiene and sugar before hitting the range.
    Don't push yourself either. If you get irritated with your performance it will continue to decline through the session.

Practice is one thing. Pointless banging away for a hundred rounds can hurt more than help.

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    When I finally got serious about competition I dumped all caffeine, tobacco and alcohol. Worked with free weights and did a lot of long distance power walking. I couldn't believe the difference it made. Never went back to the alcohol or caffeine and I quit tobacco permanently in 88.

After 6+decades and the usual infirmities you pick up as you age I notice that my barrel still doesn't wobble as much as the youngsters next to me with their coffee cup and their cigarette. It won't make up for lack of sleep but you will sleep better and your endurance will improve because of it. I thought it was all strength and endurance but I finally realized it was controlling my heart rate that gave me the advantage.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Janson View Post
    Just to make it more fun, do twenty push-ups and then a hundred-yard sprint before each string

It's certainly interesting to see how condition affects group size...just remember that it's never going to get better in the real world.
    don't forget to reload(mags only) while running
    Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH" the paint wouldn't even have time to dry. - Terry Pratchett

Try eating an apple or 2 before shooting!Wake up,have an apple.Have an apple on the drive to the range.It just may suprise you!
    "And gloating is a legitimate form of human emotion, since it isn't one of the Seven Deadly Sins, as far as I know.And Ha-Ha!"-230RN

First off, self defense wont be at 100-200 yds. The problem is measured at inches at these ranges.

Caffene- I dont drink coffee, but i tend to have a coke with lunch. good idea.
    (also, never smoked-but lived with smokers my whole life, so i've 'prolly got the worst of both worlds)

Power nap- Nah, i am waking early (for me), and leaving.

I figured there would be some military stories traded about this, good to hear em

apples? sure as heck cant hurt!