Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry Badges

Concealed Carry Badges

When these things first started to show up I got a bit of a chuckle out of them.

Yes, I know that there are some folks that will buy anything, and that will probably always be true. But I just didn't initially take them seriously.

I was wrong and I'm not laughing anymore.

If these folks really do have a carry permit and want to advertise ... by a t-shirt, get a tattoo on their forehead ... whatever, but lose the badge.

More incidents are cropping up where there are folks thinking they have law enforcement powers because they have a permit, or they don't have a license and just want to play the role. Either or variants in between are just plan "over the line".

Law enforcement powers ... carry license/permit or not ... the "powers" are the same (darn little) ... anyone can effect a citizens arrest, now make it stick, without getting a first hand introduction to the Civil Court System (if not Criminal System too).

Wannbe ... these folks need some professional help, unfortunately there is (and most likely never will be) no cure for stupid. Mental illness, maybe ...

There are cases of "badgers" lurking around malls, store parking lots, etc., and flashing them with advice on how individuals (mostly younger or elderly women) are at risk. Other cases where the intent was criminal.

Recently, even one poor delusional wretch with his "badge" and a plastic (orange tip and all) pistol in a holster, stalking a local mall, with both (and only both ) partially exposed.

In some areas things have reached the point where LE will ask to see the permit if they see the badge, and if there is no permit the "flasher" is getting a free ride to the station house, followed by a good butt chewing and lecture on the hazards of impersonating. However, to my knowledge none, to date, have been charged. But there is one that I am aware of that was a repeat problem (multiple) and the mall management got a restraining order, so the next time he showed up he was arrested for violation of the RO.

And of course there have been sexual assaults and other crimes (or attempts) with fake badges, and even real ones (lost, stolen, decommissioned or activel), and this has gone on for years, but now we have the "carry" badges to add to the mix.

Now that I have "vented" a little bit ... what's your cut. I firmly believe in RKBA and wish the license/permit business would just disappear (fat chance). But I do not believe that license/permit holders should have/receive any greater law enforcement powers than their fellow citizens ... they simply don't have the training and it's already hard enough to keep the commissioned/sworn officers up to speed (and sadly in some cases compliant).

I also believe in free speech and expression, but if your going to create a "badge" to tell the world that your carrying a concealed gun, that you actually have the permit/license and that the "badge" does not resemble any form of "sight recognizable/common" law enforcement shapes. Maybe shaped like a gun with the permit/license holder message. I'd like to hear/see your opinions on this aspect as well, plus hey ... design suggestions too!

Thanks, now the coffee has kicked in (took 3 cups ) and the "boiler pressure" is down!
    UPDATE: Ohio has an Open Carry law ... but as w/ most of them the hassle factor varies considerably. But my point is not CCW or OC it's the increasing problems coming from the darn badges that at first ... I took as a joke.
    UPDATE No. 2: In response to the two requests for "cites". As mentioned in the OP I have not heard of any prosecution/conviction related solely to the use of a "CCW Badge". My information sources are LEO that are still on active duty as well as "retired" that still have active contacts within their departments, as well as people that are in store/mall security (retired LEO or otherwise).

However in re-reading my OP I did note an area where my sentence construction could leave/lead to mis-statement or mis-understanding. In the paragraph on "badgers" lurking, the last sentence
    Other cases where the intent was criminal.
    could lead to the impression I was talking CCW badges ... I wasn't. The coffee just hadn't kicked in yet. My bad It was a generalized reference that I touched on (better) 3 paragraphs later, that hit on fake, real, etc.

Also, in the same "mangled" paragraph I should have used "instances" instead of "cases" (that demon coffee thing again ). But relative to the last sentence you can do news active or archive searches and find articles reporting crimes where fake and real badges were used (no specifically named CCW that I am aware of). You can also search court proceedings and find further information. In this regard my intent is that now having the CCW badges that strongly resemble law enforcement badges that there are more sources to obtain realistic looking law enforcement badges.

In closing (again) my main point was directed toward CCW badges (hence the thread title) and the practical merit(s), if any, of those badges. With a sub-point about CCW and law enforcement powers. Stating my views and asking others for theirs ... pro, con, or from somewhere between to "don't give a rat's butt". Which, from the responses so far, I think is happening.

Last edited by contenderman; November 20th, 2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Fix rotten typing and update ...
    The ONLY thing certain in life is DEATH. Live each day to its' FULLEST!

I'd die laughing if someone pulled one of those out and I've seen them all.

Even better is when a driver shows one of the Courtesy Badges given out by political Sherriff’s to big donors. They are surprised when it gets them no slack.

Why not just open carry?
    Governments don't live together. People live together.

I agree that "CCW badges" are worse than silly, likely to get the user in trouble at some point on claims that were impersonating a LEO (whether such claims were based on something or baseless).

Wider awareness and acceptance of both open and concealed carry would be good, of course.

I am relieved to see that so far no one in this thread is advocating them...

Wait for it>>>
    WWW.CCDL.US Connecticut Citizens Defense League

"We The People" not "You The Government"!

This subject seems to come up on a regular basis and the overwhelming opinion is NO BADGES. Here's some other discussions:

http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread...ght=ccw+badges

There's more but you get the idea.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

I'll tell ya though, Virginia has a funny conflict of laws where we have "shall issue" concealed carry but if going into a place that serves alcohol we have to switch to open carry.

95% of the time nobody even notices unless I'm wearing something shiny/chromed/polished stainless.

That other 5% of the time I feel like making up a tag to hang on my belt that says this.....

(this is intended as humor for those who are "sarcasm" challenged)
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

CCW badges may as well say MALL NINJA or I AM A TOOL

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    I think they should be required for some. They should have a bracelet, a necklace, big letters on the back of their jacket, a badge on front of the jacket one on the shirt and one on the belt. They should have special license plates and window stickers and a large 24" square sign afixed to the back and front doors of their house. The tattoo was a nice touch but harder to get rid of in case you move to someplace like Wisconsin or Illinois where they aren't allowed. Then issue the little dart guns with the nerf darts to them because thats all I would trust in their hands. Everybody else can stay concealed and secretive like CCW was intended for.
    1934 – National Firearms Act, 1968 – The Gun Control Act, 1986 – Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 – Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 – Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 – Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

Administrator   
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPine
    Why not just open carry?
    Some of us do not have that option at this time.
    "Tactical" is a mindset, not an equipment list.

Home | Forum | Blog | ❏ PicPaste | ImgDump |☎ Nalioth

Why not just open carry?
    Here's a thread about a recent incident in Michigan: http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32577

It's pretty common that both the police and the public don't know the law and freak out when they see (or hear about) someone openly carrying.

Someone suggested carrying a copy of the law or at least a citation to the law, or in the Michigan, carrying a newsletter sent to state police to let them know it's legal. I kind of like that idea.

I prefer not to be cuffed and placed in the back seat of a squad car while the local police call HQ to find out what they can charge me with. So I'll just keep in between me and my shirt.
    --Kol Tuv (All the best!) - Stu

"We are the ones we've been waiting for." --BHO
    "Get the hell out of my way!" --John Galt in Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Just buy the shirt that says "Shoot Me First". More comfortable than OC.

Never seen the badges and while my state allows open carry I think it's counterproductive when we also have the right to carry concealed.

This topic never gets old

I've never seen anyone actually wearing a ccw badge, but apparently there's a market for them so people obviously do.

IMHO a ccw badge is about as mall ninja as you can get
    “Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” Jon Stewart from Oprah interview, Sept 2010.

I think about the time some jerk "flashed" his CCW "Badge" at me I would call in a real LEO and tell him this guy was impersonating a Police Officer.
    It would be the jerks word against mine. I wonder which one they would believe?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TallPine
    Why not just open carry?

Some of us do not have that option at this time.
    Oh, okay - so that's why you wear the CCW badge instead
    Governments don't live together. People live together.

Never seen the badges and while my state allows open carry I think it's counterproductive when we also have the right to carry concealed
    if you need a permit or license to carry concealed, it's not a right; it a privilege. in places that allow open carry, it's a right, and exercising your rights are never counterproductive.
    there was no such thing as a "dangerous weapon," there were only dangerous men.

"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

Surprised it took this long...

About 50 years ago, when I was just a puppy sitting in Police Court in the town I grew up in, a guy who had been cited for something minor was in to talk to the magistrate. It seems that the guy had a burned out taillight or whatever pretty minor and was pulled over for it by a local cop. When the guy went flipping through his wallet to dig out is license, a miniature badge he had in his wallet was noticed. When he was asked what the badge was he became evasive. If he'd showed it to the cop, and explained, he'd have gotten a warning and told to go in his way.

NOPE, be a hotdog bonehead to get to go pay a visit to the magistrate. He got a lecture that nearly removed the paint from the courtroom before being told to go forth and sin no more.

Just a cautionary tale....

I want the badge, and a fancy navy blue uniform, with broad red stripes on the pants legs, and a patent leather Sam Browne belt, with a drop down thigh holster, and a fancy peaked cap. Oh, and let's not forget some hard plates duct taped to my back in case I need to absorb a few rounds of 7.62 while transitioning to plan B.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
    Robert A. Heinlein

There are cases of "badgers" lurking around malls, store parking lots, etc., and flashing them with advice on how individuals (mostly younger or elderly women) are at risk. Other cases where the intent was criminal.

Can we get a link to any of these "cases"?

It never ceases to amaze me what bored people will do to get in trouble.

I can't think of anything I would like to do less than explain to an LEO why I was flashing a badge.

VAshooter

Do badges actually stink?
    Charter member PWU (Pud Whackers Unanimous!)

Standard mall ninja accessory.