Thread: Australians suffer results of gun confiscations

Australians suffer results of gun confiscations

Got this email from an NRA organizer. Let's not let this happen to us:

A LITTLE GUN HISTORY

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in:
    Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent
    Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent
    Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns! While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.
    There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.

You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.
    Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!

The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.

With guns, we are 'Citizens'. Without them, we are 'Subjects'.

During World War II the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!

As we value our freedom, please retain these facts for the time we have the Second Amendment attacked...

Hasn't this one made the rounds before?
    >>It's pronounced "The Kiwi"<<
    Closed for thread veer, insults, wallowing in the bar-ditch beside the Low Road, and attempted homicide of a Moderator by way of coronary aneurysm. -- LawDog

Did you have to wear welder's goggles when you set that beast off? Does the manual tell you to scream "fire in the hole!" when you pull the trigger? Does the Forest Service you tell you to keep that thing out of the woods on hot, dry days? Do you still have eyebrows? Can it fire grape shot? I could go on . . .
    -Shear_Stress

Certainly the history stats have, but the Australian crime info appears recent. In any case, it might not be new to you, but it was to me and perhaps others.

It's good to know history and the mistakes others have made, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by TehK1w1 View Post
    Hasn't this one made the rounds before?
    So what, it's always good to get a reminder.

Administrator   
    How about some sympathy for the Australians? Do "Illinois sheeple" get what they deserve when a corrupt state government denies their rights? For people who could use unity against evil, we sure go far in offending those who have done us no harm.
    Oleg Volk
    A Human Right | Blog

Good point Oleg. I didn't aim to offend those that are and certainly will suffer because of Australia's bad laws. Same hold true for those in Illinois and right here in the People's Republic of Kalifornia....

On the other hand, it's hard to garner sympathy for those that vote to have their rights taken away, despite all the history to warn them. My "anger" goes towards those that would suggest even tougher gun laws are needed in light of this info. Those sheeple can kiss my...well, you get the idea!

I have seen these stats before (the Australia ones) and have hesitated to use them until I saw some confirmation. I don't trust Snopes on anything 2A. Does anyone have a good source for verification of these crime numbers since the confiscation? How are the anti's in Australia explaining them away?

Steve

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SWDoc
    I don't trust Snopes on anything 2A.
    Any particular reason?
    His pistol butts a-twinkle, his rapier hilt a-twinkle-Alfred Noyes
    As much as I would like the criminal scumbags to stay in their own areas, it would be a violation of their civil rights to demand they do so.-Mainsail
    It all changed about the same time "He needed killing." ceased to be an affimative defense.-Wiley
    In essence, anyone with the business accumen to run a gun store with sterling organization and customer service also has the business accumen to not get into the gun business in the first place.-AJ Dual

The part about Australia is actually pretty old, even though I've never seen it before either. Snopes has it as "collected from the internet in 2001", and here's an almost identical text of the examples from the NRA, from what looks like end of 1999 http://www.nrawinningteam.com/auresult.html

The law they mention is most certainly the Gun buy back in 1996, and the 1996 National Firearms Agreement http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Australia

Anyone interested in the crime stats in Australia can find the official stats here:
    http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@....568A900139405/

Do "Illinois sheeple" get what they deserve when a corrupt state government denies their rights?
    It's up to the people of Illinois to take back their state from the corrupt politicians of Chicago. If it were up to the nation, Chicago would have been cleaned up a long, long time ago.
    No tyrant should ever be allowed to die a natural death.

Australia had their gun-ban/turn in years ago. So the whole 12-month thing is quite old. It badly needs to be updated.
    NRA Life Member
    1. The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a
    firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for
    traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

Give me a break!!! It is the FEDS that should be doing their job and cleaning up Chicago. Trouble is that the FEDS keep making deals with the corrupt Chicago Democrats/politicians and leaving them in their elected positions. If the FEDS ever did do their jobs, our nation wouldn't be having corrupt politicians like the Clintons, Obamas, Kennedys and so on in place because they would have all been arrested a LONG time ago. Look at Fat Teddy Kennedy for an example. After the murder/manslaughter of Mary Jo, Teddy should have been in prison and never again allowed to hold ANY elected office anywhere. You know I'm right so don't bother arguing about it.

HKUSP45C,

It is a long and interesting debate. I came to the conclusion after seeing their handling of the Ca Mexican-flag-over-the-US-flag articles, and many of the Obama myths. A link: http://shopright.blogspot.com/2007/0...-democrat.html . There are opposite views, of course. My opinion is that they are biased on 2A issues. YMMV.

Google "snopes liberal bias" for both sides.
    Last edited by SWDoc; November 17th, 2008 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Hopefully your tongue was in cheek???

I looked at the snopes treatment of this a couple years ago. My conclusion was that they were somewhat biased. IIRC I even corresponded with them about it.

I just looked at their current treatment of this and it seems better. However, they could have picked the most disreputable example of this item that was floating around the internet, which would make it easy to criticize.

I don't suppose we will see any good studies of the effect if the results are not what the powers that be want, eh?

As to Oleg's comment that they are victims - yes. However, as Samuel Adams put it, "...No people ever yet groaned under the heavy yoke of slavery, but when they deserv'd it. ...The truth is, all might be free if they valued freedom, and defended it as they ought. ...If therefore a people will not be free; if they have not virtue enough to maintain their liberty against a presumptuous invader, they deserve no pity, and are to be treated with contempt and ignominy."

This is an old pass it along e-mail I have seen it before that last time I got it was about a year ago.

The facts do stand for them selfs but the Australia part is old and out dated
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

Sources for current Australian firearms legislation info...

http://www.class.org.au/

http://www.ssaa.org.au/

The Australia section of the OP article is hopelessly
    outdated.