Thread: New Shooter Gained!!!

ND Resident, Stationed in NC, Deployed Overseas

New Shooter Gained!!!

Howdy, folks.
    Recently my Grandmother-in-law lost her 10 year fight with Huntington's Disease and we had an un-planned road trip to Indiana. While I was there, my wife's extended family took me in and treated me as if I was born into the family. Though a little on the dysfunctional side at times, I'll have a hard time finding a nicer group of kin. But we've all made peace with grandma's passing. And the day of her funeral we had a party in her honour...and here's where the gun-related bits kick in.

My brother-in-law has never fired a gun in his life. Driving for a funeral, I didn't think to bring a lot of gun so I just grabbed my OC gun and my CC gun with a box of personal defense ammo for each. Well on the drive to IN, my brother-in-law brought up guns (since I'm one of the 'gun nuts' in the family). I told him what he wanted to know (and probably a little more) and it was agreed that we would shoot on his uncle's property. We made a trip to Wal-Mart (don't lock, it's just part of the story) and I bough 200 rounds of 9mm, eyes and ears. My Ruger P89 in 9x19mm was my OC gun and that's what I got his sister hooked on shooting too. I started by putting a mag of my carry ammo into the target (free chance to practice, right?) using good form and explaining shooting as I'm going. I clear the gun, hand it to him, and tell him how to make it hot. Granted we were only at about 5-7 yards, he shot pretty well and had some of the best beginner trigger control I've seen in a while. Then 2 of the cousins showed up. They were 14 and 12 and remarkably overactive. There were a lot of corrections about muzzle awareness with the younger ones, but once the gun was hot, it was down range so I didn't mind too much. Those two boys, who had only shot a "magnum" (still don't know what it is) once before had some fun and were decent shots. I sure wish I had brought more ammo with me or picked up more at Wal-Mart because it went by too fast. My brother-in-law wants me to go with him to pick up a gun the next time I'm in town. The two cousins...unfortunately their dad "Has no interest in them guns." He didn't mind me teaching his boys had to shoot but they are left high and dry.

It's strange how a family tragedy brings people close together. We sure had fun.
    Yes, I'm a grown man that loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Got a problem?

That's a good story Aaryq, thanks for sharing it. I'm currently working on a very liberal college professor... Hopefully I can get him to make the jump before I graduate this spring. It's an uphill battle.

Good work. Now get the rest of 'em
    NRA Life Member, October 2009.
    SAF Defender Club Member, January 2011.
    NRA Endowment Member, January 2011.

Aaryq, my condolences to your family for your loss.

Way to go introducing new people to shooting.

ND Resident, Stationed in NC, Deployed Overseas
    Well tragedities bring families together. Thank you for your condolences. My family and I really appreciatet it.
    Yes, I'm a grown man that loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Got a problem?

I'm currently working on a very liberal college professor.
    I am never sure what is meant by "liberal." Read this definition of "classical liberalism" and tell me what is wrong with it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_Liberalism
    “It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.”
    — Thomas Sowell

"Liberalism" on American college campii bears no resemblence to the "classical liberalism" of Locke, Voltaire, and Montesquieu.

Again, condolences to you and your wife and family. Good work on the intro for your BIL and cousins.

To comment on the veer into discussion of liberalism; I think it IS important to realize the true meaning of liberal and liberal arts. If those who consider themselves "liberals" lived the title, and if there were more educators truly interested in teaching the "liberal arts" we would all be better off.

A good definition:

The liberal-arts tradition goes back to the medieval curriculum. It consisted of two parts. The first part, trivium, comprised grammar, rhetoric, and logic. It taught the arts of reading and writing, of listening and speaking, and of sound thinking. The other part, the quadrivium, consisted of arithmetic, geometry, astronomy, and music (not audible music, but music conceived as a mathematical science). It taught the arts of observation, calculation, and measurement, how to apprehend the quantitative aspect of things. Nowadays, of course, we would add many more sciences, natural and social. . . .

The aim of liberal education, however, is not to produce scientists. It seeks to develop free human beings who know how to use their minds and are able to think for themselves. Its primary aim is not the development of professional competence, although a liberal education is indispensable for any intellectual profession. It produces citizens who can exercise their political liberty responsibly.

I dislike the hijacking of these terms by people who are narrow minded, ill informed, and unwilling or unable to apply logic to (specifically) 2A issues. Intellectual lemmings. We should also beware the tendencies (all too human) for those of us on this side of the issue to exhibit those negative traits.

(pant, pant, pant....)

I'm through now.

Steve (the scientifically educated)