Thread: Colt All American 2000 (9mm)

Colt All American 2000 (9mm)

I know these were sort of an odd duck, but were they
    functionally sound, or problematic? Sorta interested
    as I like odd things, but it would have to be a good shooter.

Edited: Just found my answer in a earlier thread. Consensus is, basically, a POS.
    Ulflyer

I owned one in aluminum.

It was not reliable. It would jam on the second shot with any ammo or magazine I tried.

I had a hard time finding a shop that would take it away from me at all.

I read later about the design being flawed. It was apparently un-fixable.

A good friend of mine got one as soon as they hit the stores. It failed to function with a bewildering variety of ammo. New mags didn't help, nor did different lubes, or new springs. One gunsmith told him to shoot lead bullets in it, because lead is a lubricant, and would deposit itself on the innards of the pistol upon firing, thereby improving function. That sounded like a "voodoo" fix to me and my friend, but we tried it anyhow. No dice. He eventually sold the pistol to a guy who wanted project gun...well, he got one!
    "What's good for me might not be good for the weak-minded."- Augustus McRae

Colt All American

Thanks for input guys. Definitely not something I need to own. Have put that thought out of my mind.
    Ulflyer

One gunsmith told him to shoot lead bullets in it, because lead is a lubricant, and would deposit itself on the innards of the pistol upon firing, thereby improving function.
    WTH?! Hahaha.
    - Ron V.

ME + TYPING = NOT GOOD

I owned one once upon a time. Had to be the biggest piece of junk I've ever had.

I had it worked on a couple of times with no luck in getting it fixed and finally traded it to a local smith who really didn't want it. He kept it for quite some time until a customer came in and expressed an interest in it. Even after repeated warnings that he wouldn't be satisfied, the smith sold him the gun with the understanding that once he bought it, it was his to keep.
    I imagine it's doing time as a paper weight or a boat anchor somewhere.

Stay clear! (unless you need a paper weight or a boat anchor of course)

I shot, well, tried to shoot one when they were new and a friend made the mistake of buying one. I don't know what was going on with it, but it seemed to feed practice rounds just fine, but jammed repeatedly on when actually firing. He played with it a month or two, and sold it to a guy who was a Colt fanatic for what he paid for it, so he was happy in the end.

Seems like it was a giant dud. Funny how Colt couldn't know about it before it was released...

At the time the guns mags had a strict rule, no matter what the gun was the greatest thing ever made at X.
    They flat out suggested that people wait for Colt to fix the issues with the pistol. Such a thing had never happened before.