Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Bearing Grease as Lube on a firearm

Wheel Bearing Grease as Lube on a firearm

I thought about lubing up the ole cz 52 with wheel bearing grease, Works good on the locking lug of my fox. Anyone else use it for guns?

I've used it on my M1 Garand. It stinks to high heaven, but it will work. I finally laid my hands on a supply of the little plastilube tubs, and that stuff smells good.
    NRA Life Member
    1. The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a
    firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for
    traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

I have used Amsoil synthetic grease. No smell.

I use the Lithium based multi-purpose grease sold in the 14 oz. greasegun tubes/cartridges for wheel bearings and the like on my M1 Garand...

It works very well indeed...

And a 14 oz tube goes a long way...

I've also used a couple of the never-seize type products, and they've worked extremely well too...

While the original M1 stock grease pots are neat, there are much better products available today than what originally came in the pots...

But I probably should mention that I use these greases only on the metal to metal contact points of the M1 (op-rod on barrel, bolt lug in op-rod, op-rod lug in receiver track, etc.), and not for a general lubricant for other purposes (like hammer and trigger lube, etc.).

Forrest

I ve used Lithium based multi-purpose grease on my 1911 off and on for several years
    Colt LTW Commander, Colt Defender, , Colt Mustang DW bobtail,1973 S&W Mod 49 ,PPK/S,Bersa 380

You must learn to be.....Slow in a Hurry Wyatt Earp 1849-1929

I've experimented with grease where an AR's bolt carrier rides on the inside of the upper receiver. I cannot get oil to stick there in storage. My results so far are good, but I don't know how it would work after shooting a couple hundred roudns with all that carbon fouling in the area.

My tests have been with NLGI #2 grease, which is the most common grade. I think it's too thick. A good auto parts store should have #1 grease if you look around, and I would recommend that or even #0 if you can find it.

Tried Lubriplate on one of my 1911s after reading a post here. Bad idea.

It slowed the cycling noticeably, both by hand and when firing. Cleaned it all off and went back to Eezox. No problems since.

I don't see any benefit to thick greases..and my experience was in Texas during the summer time. A colder climate could only exacerbate this effect.

I know sometimes you can find lithium grease in small tubes. I also know medical needles are made for threaded hubs(on the syringe) . I wonder what the chance of getting the needle to screw onto the small tube of grease-very small chance Id bet-but someone should try. I no longer have access to needles or Id do it tomorrow,.

I have a tub of mobil 1 grease that I use on my guns.
    Every social movement (*snip*) that tries to break the bonds of mindless convention and tradition and that defies established privilege gets accused of being rude and worse, much worse, and there are always weak apologists for the status quo who use that pathetic etiquette excuse to try and silence the revolutionaries. Successful revolutionaries ignore the admonitions about which fork to use for their salad because they care only to grab the steak knife as they launch themselves over the table. -- Richard Dawkins

A good wheel bearing grease is particularly appropriate to the locking lugs on a bolt action. WB grease is an EP (extreme pressure) grease.

Won't use Lubriplate (goo in a tube) for anything.
    The 2nd preserves the rest.
    Life Member NRA, Member TSRA

I went to my dentist and got a couple of the plastic irrigating syringes with the curved tips (all plastic) and then went home & packed it with my Mobil ??? grease. Works great.

I do like the idea of the plastic syringe.

I do like the idea of the plastic syringe.
    Hobby shops sell small grease syringes. I've used mine for years now. I just refill it with white lithium grease from the big automotive type greasegun tube. You can buy them with or without grease. This one has a plastic tip, but other brands have replaceable metal tips.
    http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/hca/hcahcar3785.htm

I use white lithium grease on the rails of my 1911 and on my Ruger LCP. I bought a small tube of it at Auto-Zone a couple of years ago and it should last me for another year or so.

I like the idea of a small-tipped syringe.

There is a grease gun made to grease the sprocket on the end of a power saw blade . It is about the size of an eye glass case . The hole in the blade is about 1/16 in. in dia. It has to be had packed wih grease.

100 % synthetic wheel bearing grease is great. It isn't the old stiff, sticky stuff of yesteryear. It doesn't take much to do the job either. One can will last a LONG time.

Lithium grease.
    That is what I have been using for years!
    ----
    Rick
    Repeal the 17th Amendment, letís put America back to the Republic the founding fathers intended!
    A right should restrict the government, not obligate it!

It would seem that some of you do not have a Kimber. A Kimber works fine with grease, until you try to fire the second round. At that point, you begin to understand why they say "OIL".

M1s, M1Carbines, M1As, etc. do fine with grease. The 1911 does not. A CZ-52? Not sure, but http://www.makarov.com/cz52/ says to NOT dry fire them.

I see so many post that suggest I should use ABC oil ABC Grease or what ever.It seem that I have tried them all ( well not really). I can't tell any difference. I don't do extreme shooting either. My current lube is RIG Universal grease R-103. Someone some where recommended it and I bought it. I do like it and it does stay put. So what do I know, nothing. And for the oil I am using Break free CPL.

Keep her clean and lightly lubed/oiled and it should go bang when it should.
    What more can I ask for.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Get a tube of the Slick 50 grease and don't look back.

I have a friend that uses antisieze on his 1911 slide rails... of course he's the only guy I've heard of that's had a slide gall to the frame. I use engine assembly lube on my on all of my auto loaders slides, stays where I put it and a tube lasts a long time.

That Red Mobil 1 is what they use in the various hi-speed bearings for the aircraft thrust reverser stuff i used to work on. Ive had a high amount of respect for it ever since.

The RED Mobil One Syn grease works great on the oprod and bolt of my M1A and M1 Garand. CLP works good for the rest of it.

I use CLP on my AR's and pistols.
    Will

I've used a synthetic grease (mobile 1?) on the very few parts of a gun that need it. Although I haven't tested it, my assumption is since synthetic oil is less subject to thickening at low temps, synthetic grease will be too. Anyway, hunting is one of the few times when I would need a very cold gun to function, and the only FTF from the cold I have seen was because of too much grease in a bolt, not just because it was grease.

I have found that I can mix synthetic motor oil (or syn tranny fluid) with the Mobil 1 syn grease to get the consistency I want. Have to stir it up after a while sitting, but thats fine with me.