Thread: New Nomenclature

New Nomenclature

Try these labels next time someone(an anti?) starts badmouthing semi-autos.

A bolt action is a "bolt action single shot rifle".

A lever action is a "lever action single shot rifle".

A breech loading rifle is a "manual loading single shot rifle".

A formerly "semi-auto" is a "self loading single shot rifle".

Yes, they are all single shot rifles. Each one only fires one shot with each pull of the trigger.

We can play their silly games too, but we can do it with the truth.

Woody

Whenever a lib refers to an "assault weapon" or a "semi-auto" I just ask them to define those terms. It is usually then an easy matter to do a little education. As one would expect, most antis who throw around terms like "assault weapon" and "semi-auto" have no clear idea of what those terms actually mean.

Bravo!

Was talking w/ a left-leaning friend of mine (who at least shoots guns when he has the chance, and knows the reason that the 2d Amendment exists) about the AR I just bought, and he asked "Does it look like an assault weapon?"

I replied (with something like) "Well, unless you look pretty closely, it sure does resemble an assault rifle, but it won't spend money quite as quickly."

This led to a discussion of what that term ("assault weapon") signifies, why it's used, and to his acknowledgment that the AWB was about purely cosmetic features rather than any essential quantum of evil contained in rifles just because they're black.

Talk to the people around you -- when the occasion arises, that is

timothy

Try these labels next time someone(an anti?) starts badmouthing semi-autos.

A bolt action is a "bolt action single shot rifle".

A lever action is a "lever action single shot rifle".

A breech loading rifle is a "manual loading single shot rifle".

A formerly "semi-auto" is a "self loading single shot rifle".

Yes, they are all single shot rifles. Each one only fires one shot with each pull of the trigger.

We can play their silly games too, but we can do it with the truth.

Woody

There are single shot bolt actions!
    I think all breach loading guns are single shot but I may be wrong!
    There are single shot semi-auto rifles!
    There are single shot lever action rifles!

Next time an anti wants to help limit you to single shot rifles do you realy want to be limited to single shots by helping them with the terms you have just used????

They realy are out there!Lever action single shots,one shot and you eject the spent case and load a new one!
    Single shot semi-autos are out there!One shot and the bolt comes back and ejects the empty shell and you have to put a new one in!
    Breach and bolt go without saying!
    How about a handgun that looks like a revolver?Holds one round and thats it,its out there!

{art's grandma was here: OV}
    "And gloating is a legitimate form of human emotion, since it isn't one of the Seven Deadly Sins, as far as I know.And Ha-Ha!"-230RN

mejeepnut has a point; what about "single-fire" (as opposed to "burst fire" or "automatic fire") instead of "single shot" as designation? I could take my single-fire AR-15 and SKS down to the range and get some target practice in on my patrol rifles.
    IANAL. TINLA. BYOB.
    You can't spell "B.O.H.I.C.A." without B.H.O.

if thats to much for you then just STFU!
    Wow feel strongly much!?!?

I dunno I disagree with people all the time here... and I know the moderation standards have gotten a little more relaxed lately, which I have been enjoying (mostly)... but I hope we haven't sunk to such a point that "STFU" is now High Road
    If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you. - Jack Handey

We've started a trend up here in Maine. When referring to mags, there are no "high capacity" mags. Only "standard capacity" and "diminished capacity". Don't play by their rulebook, bring your own.
    "WWJBD"-(What would Jack Bauer do)

2009 World Champions New York Yankees

Hanno - You've hit the nail.

Whenever a lib refers to an "assault weapon" or a "semi-auto" I just ask them to define those terms.
    I've done the same thing and almost without exception, they cannot define either. I ask for a definition with calm respect in my voice so as not to cause futher red-faced anger & spittel spewing from their lips.
    To all gun/shooting enthusiasts :
    "Support the ENTIRE Bill of Rights, not just the 2nd Amendment, every chance you get. If one amendment gets trounced on then the others will soon follow.

They realy are out there!Lever action single shots,one shot and you eject the spent case and load a new one!
    Single shot semi-autos are out there!One shot and the bolt comes back and ejects the empty shell and you have to put a new one in!
    Breach and bolt go without saying!
    How about a handgun that looks like a revolver?Holds one round and thats it,its out there!
    Every one of these guns you describe is a manual loading single shot. All the others have a magazine or a clip or some such device holding the next rounds to be loaded into the breech for firing by either the lever action, cycling the bolt, or via the recoil or gas pressure from the gun itself, or by the trigger or cocking the hammer to rotate a cylinder to advance the next round up to the firing position.

Anyhoo, it's all about taking the bluster out of the anti's and explaining that a semi-auto is no more a machine gun than would be a revolver or a lever or bolt action firearm.

Each only fires one round per pull of the trigger.

Oh, and I'm really curious about that "semi-auto" that only ejects the spent cartridge. Got a link? How about just the name of the gun?

Woody

I though "single-shot" referred to guns that have no magazine.
    el by ferlof ghwylcum men, gif h mt r rihtes and gerysena on brcan on bolde bladum oftast.
    If you can't do what you want with your own belongings, how much do you truly have?

I thought "single-shot" referred to guns that have no magazine.
    ConstitutionCowboy is trying to tip the playing field back to level in pointing out that even semi-autos (conventional definition) are "single shot" in the sense that they only fire one shot per trigger pull.

Sparkling thinking, ConstitutionCowboy!

Therefore, even the .45 "automatic" is a single-shot pistol by this new proposed nomenclature.

I've done the "can you define 'Assault Rifle'" and "can you define 'semi-auto'" bit myself, and it really throws a monkey wrench into "their" thought processes.

Somewhat related incident: I took a lady friend of mine shooting once and she liked it, she even hung one of her targets up in her garage. Okay, so, figuring she might be interested, a couple of months later I said, "wanna see my new toy?" and showed her a picture of my M4gery. She recoiled at the mere image, with a basically negative attitude about it and after a little discussion, where I explained that it was just part of my military rifle collection and that it had lots less power than my M-N from 1891, she settled down a bit.

Yet she still had the idea that it would rip out bullets just like in the movies and on TV.

I 'splained further, without going into tax stamps and all, but I wish I'd used ConstitutionCowboy's idea and had described it as a "single shot" rifle. She agreed that it was just the sheer appaearance of the rifle that had put her off.

All's well that ends well, though, and even though she was never "anti," she's now someone else who knows the difference between an M4gery and an M4.

And between an assault rifle and my new little single-shot plinker.

Whenever a lib refers to an "assault weapon" or a "semi-auto" I just ask them to define those terms. It is usually then an easy matter to do a little education. As one would expect, most antis who throw around terms like "assault weapon" and "semi-auto" have no clear idea of what those terms actually mean.
    hanno, that's pretty much been my tactic lately as well. In addition when the "need for more gun laws/restrictions" comes up in a conversation I ask them what laws/restrictions they would want in place.

the most common are....
    Backgrounds checks - Already done on the law abiding. Criminals find ways around 'em.

Keep guns out of the hands of criminals - Hrmmm, kind of vague isn't it? Besides which you can't do this with gun laws, criminals ignore gun laws.

Assault rifle bans - ask them to define "assault rifle", usually they say "well, it's a machine gun" and then the education can begin.

Waiting periods - Already on the books, besides which if you already own one firearm how does a waiting period for more have any kind of a "cooling" effect?

etc. etc.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

Assault rifle bans - ask them to define "assault rifle", usually they say "well, it's a machine gun" and then the education can begin.
    Technically an assault rifle and a machine gun are the same thing. Assault weapons however are the made-up things that anti's like to see banned.
    Gun control is like fighting drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to buy cars.

I was showing off my newly acquired single shot shotgun to my brother and he called it a "machine gun". He explained, and I agreed, that it fit the definition since it is capable of firing until empty with a single action of the trigger.

I think about that whenever I hear people talk about "assault weapons" and/or "machine guns".
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

IA farmboy,

I like that! Let's add it to the list!

Woody

farmboy...can't describe how badly I peed myself after reading that. PRECIOUS!
    God willing, I will never have to return fire - I will initiate.