Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Jersey Residents Have Been Brainwashed About Guns

New Jersey Residents Have Been Brainwashed About Guns

A fine blog by a NJ citizen fighting the good fight and asking some interesting questions about his fellow residents and politicians.He also references Florida as a model for NJ to learn from and follow.

http://blog.nj.com/njv_publicblog/20...ainwashed.html

We've been brainwashed
    Posted by mjm0771, November 17, 2008 9:22AM

There are a lot of people in New Jersey with open minds and open eyes, but the majority of us have been mentally conditioned to be afraid of guns. The Media in general have done an excellent job of demonizing firearms and the law-abiding citizens who own them.

A two-year study by the Media Research Center concluded that television reporters are overwhelmingly opposed to Second Amendment rights. Broadcasts from major networks from July 1, 1995 to June 30, 1997, covering 244 gun policy stories, the ratio of anti-gun to pro-gun bias was 16 to 1. That means, for every one story of someone using their firearm in self defense or to save the live of another, they aired 16 stories of criminals using their guns to hurt the innocent. That ratio still remains the same today. It seems one sided and unfair, does it not?

Despite what media coverage might seem to indicate, there are more deaths related to high school football than shootings. In a recent three year period, twice as many football players died from hits to the head, heat stroke, and other bizarre injuries as compared with students who were murdered by firearms during that same time period. (Source: http://www.gunowners.org/fs0404.htm )

Why do majority of our lawmakers think that making it more difficult to own and carry a concealed firearm is going to help quell the rate of violent crime in New Jersey? It's been proven time and time again that criminals in New Jersey do not care about strict gun restrictions or outright bans. The vast majority of the illegal guns used in crimes come from a few corrupt gun dealers outside the borders of the Garden State .

It seems most of our legislators have this unfounded fear that if Bill A1282 is enacted, everyone will rush to get their concealed carry permit and there will be millions of guns on our streets which will result in a bloodbath the likes we have never seen. History shows since concealed carry legislation was passed in Florida in 1987 only an estimated 3% of the Floridian population has chosen to obtain a concealed carry permit.

Now, let's return to New Jersey. The latest Census estimate the population of NJ is 8.7 million. If two percent of citizens are granted a concealed carry permit, that would be approximately 174,000 people. That also means there will only be 2 people per square mile who would have their permit to legally carry their weapon. There are 10 times more criminals and street gang members in our cities that are illegally carrying concealed right at this very moment! So what exactly are we afraid of???

The majority of us who live in and around urbanized areas in New Jersey believe guns are the problem. We seem to believe this because the mainstream media as trained us to think that way. The truth is there is an estimated 50.6 million households having at least one gun in the United States , totaling approximately 228 million firearms. The total number of firearms that are used by criminals to commit their violent acts is approximately 450,000 nationwide. That equates to 0.09% of all guns that are involved in crimes. (Source: http://www.gunfacts.info)

97% of people in Florida have not chosen to obtain their concealed carry permits, but they are getting a huge benefit from the 3% who do. Since Florida passed concealed carry legislation crime has dropped to 4% below the national average from 36% above the national average before 1987. This is why most of us in NJ will choose not apply for one because we have been convinced by our government and the media that guns are evil. But for those upstanding law-abiding citizens that feel differnently, they should not be denied their constitutional right to defend themselves, if they feel the need to do so.

from NJ but not afraid of guns. Just frustrated! We have lived with the AWB, inability to obtain a concealed carry permit, and other stringent measures that apathy prevails. Not my apathy mind you.

Agreed they are brain washed. I escaped 22 years ago and hate going back. I can carry concealed there as I am LE but I have change from issued Jacketed hollow point to the Federal expanding solids. I have talked to numerous people in that state including some family and most of them think guns are evil.
    The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come is to teach men to shoot!" -Theodore Roosevelt

The author of that blog is a member of the NJ Coalition for Self-Defense and often contributes thought-provoking pieces to NJ Voices. Often they're met right away with the typical anti-comments about how so-and-so doesn't want his neighbor going crazy and shooting him because he had a bad day. I'm glad that only positive comments have been posted so far.

NJ really is a difficult place to own guns, the idea being that if it's too much of an inconvenience, people will just not bother trying. I had to wait a ridiculous 7 months to get my Firearms ID card (a process which legally can not take longer than 30 days) just so I could buy long guns and ammo. Without an FID card, most gunshops won't even let you touch a gun. Pistol permits require the same reduntant paperwork and waiting period, and you need one permit for each pistol transaction. If I unknowingly buy a damaged used gun and want to exchange it for another one at the same store, that'll cost me 2 permits. Frankly, Bill A1282 is one of the last hopes for this state. For info on organized efforts to get it through, check out www.njcsd.org.

A good friend and I grew up in Rural upstate NY (before it went down the tubes). He's lived in NJ for a number of years now and I've lived in VA.

Not too long ago he came down to visit and we went out shooting (as we had done as young bucks growing up). He got, as he put it, a series of shocks starting with the fact that I actually owned more than one gun, moving on to open carry (hey we were just headed to the range) and culminating with someone letting us shoot a fully-automatic rifle while we were there.

As he said to me... "Wow, I hadn't realized that I was being programmed to be so anti-gun by where I live. There's something really wrong with that!"

And yet I can't get him to leave New-frikin-Jersey! ARRRRGGGHH!

I especially liked this part of the article...
    Now, let's return to New Jersey. The latest Census estimate the population of NJ is 8.7 million. If two percent of citizens are granted a concealed carry permit, that would be approximately 174,000 people. That also means there will only be 2 people per square mile who would have their permit to legally carry their weapon. There are 10 times more criminals and street gang members in our cities that are illegally carrying concealed right at this very moment! So what exactly are we afraid of???
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

As he said to me... "Wow, I hadn't realized that I was being programmed to be so anti-gun by where I live. There's something really wrong with that!"
    That was the same situation I found myself in. I had to spend some time out of state to see that it was perfectly normal to own and use firearms, and that the majority of the US is not like my state. It was also a shock to the system to find out how conditioned I had become to the prevailing anti-gun sentiment here in NJ.
    I took my little brother shooting for the first time to a range in PA (a whole 9 miles away) and he was shocked at the fact that the guy at the counter as well as people coming in and out were open carrying (meanwhile, I had to transport my guns cased, locked, trigger-locked and wired with claymores). He was even more shocked when he saw the guy in the lane next to us open up in full-auto (rented at the range). He's been bugging me since to take him and his friend along again. But, if all you know is Jersey (or MA, CA, WI, IL et al) it's tough to shake of the anti-gun rhetoric if you aren't exposed to anything else.

I do question this statement:

The vast majority of the illegal guns used in crimes come from a few corrupt gun dealers outside the borders of the Garden State .
    I tend to think the vast majority of the illegal guns come from other criminals and other criminal activities. Saying they come from a few corrupt dealers outside of NJ, is akin to saying 'leave us alone and go after the people living with less restrictive laws'.

I know what he is saying, and what he means. I agree with most of what he wrote and found it a good well reasoned article, it is just, that when dealing with those people, we need to watch every word we choose. They have no problem using our own words against us and twisting the meanings to suit their purposes.

My sympathies to those in New Jersey.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
    Robert A. Heinlein

Forgive us . . . . we're just a little sensitive what with all our NRA dollars pouring out of the state . . . .

Of course NJ residents have been brainwashed. NJ has already lost the battle, and lost it through attrition.

This is what I've been saying about getting basic hunter's safety courses back in the schools. A large portion of those courses were devoted to firearm safety. That's why the anti2A folks wanted them out of the schools. That said, half the battle with saving the 2nd is keeping our numbers from shrinking. The anti gunners know this. That's how they've won places like NJ.

By the way, that's also how we take NJ back, and keep PA. We can't get that state back unless we take real action and add to our numbers.

I'm a NJ native. It took me years to shake off the brainwashing. There was this magical belief that, if you have a gun present, the next time you got angry you'd kill someone--you just can't believe how pervasive that belief is.

The other feature of NJ-think is that it's NEVER the criminal's fault. Typical example (overheard at hypothetical cocktail party in Princeton): "I heard that a lot of criminals get their guns by stealing them from licensed owners. I think that's horrible! If someone lets a criminal steal their gun, then they're just as guilty as the criminal if someone gets shot later--and they should BOTH go to jail!"

Long story short, I 'rescued' an old J-frame and wanted to talk with the Jersey City police about the proper way to transfer it back home in VA.

In no uncertain terms the captain said "citizens have NO business owning pistols and firearms should be left to the police as we are highly trained in their use. They're just an accident waiting to happen". Seriously.

I pointed out my CC permit and various training courses back home, and he just brushed it off as negligible.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: (1) the free; and (2) food animals.

-Aristodemus

In no uncertain terms the captain said "citizens have NO business owning pistols and firearms should be left to the police as we are highly trained in their use. They're just an accident waiting to happen". Seriously.

Chris: I'd love to see you and the "highly trained" captain at the range together and see who does better. I know who I'd bet on!

That attitude is quite a contrast with the deputy in Texas in the carjacking story, and with the law enforcement in Missouri in the recent story about the rapist who came back to the lady's house the second time- she'd acquired a 12-gauge shotgun in the meantime.

Typical example (overheard at hypothetical cocktail party in Princeton): "I heard that a lot of criminals get their guns by stealing them from licensed owners. I think that's horrible! If someone lets a criminal steal their gun, then they're just as guilty as the criminal if someone gets shot later--and they should BOTH go to jail!"
    What pompous drivel. I know it's hypothetical, but having worked in Princeton for years I heard similar comments many times. I bet if they went to jail for "letting" a criminal hi-jack their Range Rover and using it in the comission of a crime, they'd be singing a different tune.

Jersey City actually has a nice range for training. Unfortunatly they never let any other departments in to use it. As far as a department, they were ahead of their time. they were one of the first in the country to use a semi-automatic duty firearm when they went to the S&W Model 39.

One opinion from one person isn't the attitude of the world. Unfortunatly NJ just lost one of the biggest and best gun stores in the state. The only one in NJ might close as the owner is getting on in years. We had a great and very active police/private range in our town just outside of NYC. Shooters from both states were always down there along with our people. But developement caused it to shut down. Lost forever.

I escaped NJ in 2005... and got into firearms here in FL. I have my CCW and carrying everywhere I legally can. Still, I get nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs if I am in a gas station or wherever, and a cop comes in. Even though I am not doing anything wrong, I still feel like it at times.

That's a lifetime of NJ conditioning. Only people who have guns are cops, or criminals.
    In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti

That's a lifetime of NJ conditioning. Only people who have guns are cops, or criminals.
    I understand that completely.I was born in New Jersey(Hackensack)but at the age of 3 in 1949, my parents moved to Ft.Pierce,Florida which was then, and to a degree still is,paradise.
    Lucky me.But I have a sister and a multitude of cousins still living in NJ.
    They exhibit the same anti-gun phobia,through a lifetime of conditioning ,like not being able to pump your own gas,another Jersey "tradition".(although Oregon shares this oddity.)
    Yet no one moves and they endure.NJ does have some wonderful aspects.The beaches,the Pine Barrens,Cape May,the northwest corner at High Point.
    I still love my birth state.It's the politics,corruption and greed that mess it all up.
    HBO picked the right locale for The Soprano's.

That's the truth, JD. Totally spot on.
    In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti

That attitude is quite a contrast with the deputy in Texas in the carjacking story, and with the law enforcement in Missouri in the recent story about the rapist who came back to the lady's house the second time- she'd acquired a 12-gauge shotgun in the meantime.
    gunsmom:

Can you provide any links to the 2d story you mention? I have not heard of it.

timothy

I have a friend from Jersey who has a great story about his conversion, which happened while living there.
    It involved the tenant in the apartment underneath them repeatedly screaming without provocation about how he's "going to rape his jew ***** girlfriend", and the police not doing a thing about it.
    I guess permits were easier to obtain back then... apparently the landlord was not totally anti, and asked what he had gotten.
    "A Beretta in .40 S&W."
    ".40? Isn't that a bit much?"
    "No, I got it because it'll shoot through floors."

Apparently the rape-talk ended almost immediately....

...years later we helped convince them to move down here.

"Hey, what do I need to do to bring my gun when I move to Virginia?"
    "I dunno... I'd probably field strip it and lock it up while you're driving through Maryland..."
    "No, what do I need to do to square with Virginia?"
    "..... ..... .....uhhhhhh.....bring it?"

Now he buys more guns than I do.
    Don't blame me, I voted for Ron Paul!

Yes, we endure. We jump through hoops to own firearms. It's what we have to do to stay legal and despite the long waits, never ending paperwork and red tape, I do it because I have to. Those that came before me let it get this way. Heed the warning, the rest of you out there in free America, lest you leave the same mess for posterity. I grew up with firearms, as do my children. I even have firearm friendly personalized license plates on my car (I still can't believe I got that one past the censors at the motor vehicle department here). We are not the norm here. Some day I will leave this state, when my MIL passes on. Until then, I will endure and follow my own firearm moral code. They've already hurt us so bad, I assume any more firearms restrictions will be ignored by many. It's to the point of saturation, you can't keep up.
    ANJRPC, NRA

And sadly Maryland is turning (or trying to turn) into New Jersey more and more everyday

Interesting thread.

The original article points out what some of us were keen to..ie Brainwashing. I see this in topics such as guns, Taxes, and alot of the media coverage on things like Red Light laws. I laugh when I read articles on NJ.com about how a study funded by an Insurance group shows 90 Percent of drivers polled want red light cameras at intersections. This is such total nonesense it just kills me. Yet people read this and think "hmmm...maybe we need them..."

And I agree with those that say to teach the younger kids about responsible gun ownership. I have two young boys, and they are both getting into target shooting thru air guns and such. I want them to know gun safety and be comfortable around guns. They ARE the future....
    NRA Member
    ANJRPC Member
    USCCA Member

And I agree with those that say to teach the younger kids about responsible gun ownership. I have two young boys, and they are both getting into target shooting thru air guns and such.
    Air guns are the same as firearms here in NJ. You need an FID card and NICS check for an air rifle. Pistol permit for air handgun. Slingshots are 100% illegal.

Slingshots are 100% illegal
    Unbelievable.
    It's going to be a long way back to rationality.
    But for some reason ,I believe some day, my New Jersey kin are going to win it all back and be free again.
    It may take 2 generations but it will be done.
    Keep the flame burning.My admiration for you Jersey citizens fighting this fight is boundless.

No doubt about it. Jersey has to be taken back. Maybe it'd be good to focus on getting laws to relax in rural parts of that state and then move to change laws statewide...