Thread: I had a great day yesterday.

I had a great day yesterday.

My plan for Sunday was to take my girlfriend and a new, female co-worker, neither of whom has ever shot a gun before, to go shooting. I had heard that the co-worker was interested in going shooting and so I approached her about it. She said that she thought it might be a good way to relieve the stress she's feeling these days (which I assured her it would be). I invited my GF, who's always politely declined in the past, to go and she agreed.

Sunday didn't pan out.

So, on Monday, I went by my self, enjoying the last of the nice weather for the season and a day off. I went to the Mt. Hood National Forest, to an old gravel quarry that is where I usually shoot (which is only a few times a year, unfortunately). I brought a 10/22, a Mk. III 22/45, a Marlin .30-30, and a S&W .40 pistol. There were only two other people there, shooting together. One of them I had met there before and both of whom were super friendly.

I was there from 9:30 until about 1:30, and I shot 850 rounds of .22LR and about 150 total of the .30-30, .40, and a mag from their AKs.

After re-zeroing the scope on my 10/22, I decided that instead of plinking, I was going to really work on my marksmanship. Normally, I just link at stuff at under 50 yards, but yesterday I was shooting at stuff in the 80-100 yard range. I was happy to find that in short order I was hitting spent shotgun shells and pieces from broken clay targets at those distances.

Now my house smells like solvent. I had a great time, felt productive, blew off some of my stress, etc. A good day all around, and I just wanted to share.

Josh

I wish I had time to spend a day like that. Right now, being a student sucks. I am lucky if i get to shoot a box of ammo a month!

I wish I had time to spend a day like that. Right now, being a student sucks. I am lucky if i get to shoot a box of ammo a month!
    That's a shame. Especially with the DNR range in Richmond Hill being so close.

Cheers,
    Richard

I also went yesterday and my the time I was done two weeks of stress was gone. It is amazing.
    The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come is to teach men to shoot!" -Theodore Roosevelt

Dgreno,

That's more than I get to shoot. I shoot maybe only 2 or 3 times per year! The combo of location, funds, weather, etc. conspires against me. I don't shoot any more (maybe less even) than when I was in school and had to keep my guns at a friend's house across the river from me.

Josh

Too bad the babes didn't get to go with ya.....I'd LOVE to have a female shooting partner. My wife just turns up her nose at the idea, I go shooting to get away from her anyway.

Well, both my girlfriend and I grew up in anti families and communities. I, and to a much lesser degree, my younger brother, have moved past that. My GF has made, what for someone from such a background, are major steps in being fine with me having guns and spending time on sites like this, going shooting, etc. It's not something we talk about a lot. She doesn't share all of my rationale or beliefs about the RKBA, but she understands them and respects them. Until this other gal wanted to go on a shared day off with all three of us, she had always turned down offers. Some day. And I'm sure she'll have fun.

JOsh

The closest I've gotten my wife to shooting, was her standing ~50 yards behind me, complaining about how loud my AR-15 was. That was the only time I've even been able to get her to the range.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun, I'm jealous, I rarely get to shoot anymore. Hell I rarely have time to even read a book anymore. I think I've shot maybe 5 times this year. I still have 3 rifles I haven't even shot yet.
    "In the world of science, there is physics. Everything else is just stamp collecting." -Ernest Rutherford
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU8PId_6xec
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lytxafTXg6c

That's a shame. Especially with the DNR range in Richmond Hill being so close.
    I actually Have access to 200 acres closer than Richmond Hill. Every once in a while I get to go out there to shoot.

I invited my GF, who's always politely declined in the past, to go and she agreed.
    Of course she went, you were bringing another female.

Maybe I missed it, but you didn't say how the women enjoyed it?
    "Today, my friends, we each have one day less, every one of us. And joy is the only thing that slows the clock." -John D McDonald via Travis McGee

"Sunday didn't pan out.

So, on Monday, I went by my self"

I don't think that her acceptance was based in jealousy or paranoia about infidelity. I think that it was more based in the fact that a woman who she gets along with and feels politically similar to was interested and that she might be more comfortable with another woman's presence.

Josh

My wife just turns up her nose at the idea, I go shooting to get away from her anyway.
    Wow, eh ok.

Quote:
    My wife just turns up her nose at the idea, I go shooting to get away from her anyway.

Wow, eh ok.
    You don't know the woman. Not ALL marriages are a bowl of cherries ya know.