Thread: need deployed military members addresses please

need deployed military members addresses please

Apologies if this is too of topic.

Each year as the holidays approach I like to do a little "recycling" of my magazines. I subscribe to several magazines, most of them firearms related (Guns and Ammo, Combat Weapons, American Rifleman, etc.) and have always mailed the past years worth off to a deployed soldier so that they and the other soldiers may enjoy them and maybe escape back home for a cool, fall hunt, or just an afternoon of plinking.

This year I'm happy to say all of my Army and Marine friends are either out or stateside. I'm sure there are several memebers here that might have a child or other relative that is deployed and I would like to send them a care package. The DOD no longer accepts "Any Soldier" addressed mail so if you would so kindly post or PM me some addresses I can get on with my very little way of saying thanks.

FFMedic

A very fine gesture FFMedic.
    Thank you for thinking about our wonderful men and women in arms overseas.

Thanks so much for doing this! My friend Cpt. Dan and his team in Camp Taji will really appreciate anything you send them. PM sent with address.

Thanks again,
    Ghost
    I'm lost, I'm angry and I'm armed.

Johnny, thanks but it's really a small gesture compared to being away from your family for months on end and doing so much for so many for so little.

Ghost rider, Dan has a box with his name on it set aside. I have enough mags to fill 5 more of the APO/FPO flat rate boxes so keep em coming guys.

For a little more than a fast food meal I can send 4 dozen magazines to the frontline and hopefully reach hundreds of soldiers with them providing a brief escape, if only for a minute.

FFMedic

All military posts will have a Family Support group, as do many local National Guard armories. They will be more than happy to accept any donations for their troops and loved ones overseas.

As a two tour vet of Iraq, I thank you for your care.
    ......................................there is no Plan B

ND Resident, Stationed in NC, Deployed Overseas
    I don't know anyone personally so I can't give any addresses, but I know when I was out there it was so cool to get that stuff. Like Army said, if you talk to Family Support Group, or Family Readiness Officer or something, that's where you can send it. Try Myspace groups too. There's always deployed spouses groups on there (trust me, my wife practically lived on it when I was gone).
    Yes, I'm a grown man that loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Got a problem?

Operation Paperback

Join a group like operationpaperback.org (I'm an active member there) or Books for Soldiers (can't remember their URL).

You'll have to pass a pseudo background check - the .mil doesn't want to just hand out these addresses to just anyone for security reasons. But it's simple and you shouldn't have a problem.

Then you request addresses, as many as you think you can handle. You have the opportunity (on operationpaperback.org, and I think Books for Soldiers too) to select troops looking for the kind of books / magazines you have (eg, action, horror, sports mags, etc).

You'll have to pay postage, though it's only domestic postage to APO or FPO zip codes. Use Priority Mail - you get an envelope or box you can fill as tightly as you can, and it ships at a pre-set price, regardless of weight.

As a personal note, I like including things like stationery along with books. I have gotten thank you notes and have gotten a few pen-pals.

~bookmoth

Xmas Cards to the Troops

The U.S. Army no longer accepts mail sent to "Any Wounded Soldier." In the United States, the Walter Reed Army Medical Center, where most wounded soldiers are cared for, has long accepted letters or parcels addressed to "Any Wounded Soldier." No longer, mainly because of the huge amount of it. Over a million pieces a year, most of it during the holiday season, are sent just to the Walter Reed hospital. Instead, the American Red Cross, and the Pitney Bowes Corporation, will accept such mail for the Christmas season, assign a name to it, and get it delivered. Such mail should be sent (and arrive no later than December 27th) to;

We Support You During Your Recovery!
    c/o American Red Cross
    P.O. Box 419
    Savage, MD 20763-0419

No packages, just cards and letters. But something can be arranged via:
    www.usocares.org; www4.army.mil/ocpa/tooursoldiers ; or www.redcross.org.

Thanks for the responses guys!

I have 6 flat rate boxes stuffed with gun, outdoor, truck, aviation and "guy" magazines to send, and I have 6 brave soldiers that hopefully can enjoy them.

The operation paperback is a great idea as well! I strongly encourage anyone to do something little like this for our men and women in the armed forces. Sometimes at the fire department I of course have to work on days like Christmas and Thanksgiving and I think to my self "boy I wish I were home with my family". Imagine spending an entire year or more away from loved ones

FFMedic

Don't forget the rest of the military that isn't deployed!

Support the USO with donations. Nothing better than the USO showing up at my backwater FOB during my last tour, when nobody else would or could.

I donate through the Combined Federal Campaign, and at every airport they have a booth, room, or office.
    ......................................there is no Plan B

You can also contact Mr. Connor at GUNS Magazine...he has plenty of contact info for deployed soldiers

im gonna try to get up with a buddy of mine that just deployed on the 5th to iraq

i think u have a great idea
    "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." --Sam Adams
    PAUL-NUGENT 2012
    USAF april 19th 2011-_____

Got the box of magazines today. My guys and I really appreciate it.

Thanks! Really good of you.

Take Care,
    "He who dares wins."
    NRA Life Benefactor Member

ND Resident, Stationed in NC, Deployed Overseas
    You and your troops stay safe over there. Wish I could be there to lighten your burden.
    Yes, I'm a grown man that loves My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Got a problem?