Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does the media have the ability to 'get it'?

Does the media have the ability to 'get it'?

Good Morning America did a story this morning on the Somalian pirates hijacking the supertankers. As the reporter listed the numbers of ships hijacked, they questioned how this could be possible. The answer appeared to surprise the reporter, "the crew is not allowed weapons to defend themselves/their vessel." They then went on to allow that maybe armed guards (such as Blackwater) should be on board.

Hmmm, firearms to defend oneself and property? What an idea!

Tass

The media has the ability. It's more a question of will they.

Woody

We often assume that antis (be they in the media or not) maintain their anti gun position purely out of ignorance.

This is not the case. Most antis know exactly what the effects of their belief system is, but they just don't have the same goal as pro RKBA folk have.

We believe in the right to keep and bear arms because we believe in the independence and self sufficiency of the individual.

Most antis DO NOT WANT the people to be independent nor self sufficient, they want people to be members of disparate groups they can pit against one another and completely dependent on "our betters" for our sustenance, security and happiness.

So no, the media aren't going to just "get it".
    America is divided between people who hate risk more than they love freedom and people who hate hippies more than they love freedom.

Imagine a world with no guns!

My personal opinion is that the media does get it, they’re just ignoring it in favor of a larger goal. The media isn’t full of ignorant people (stupid maybe but not ignorant), they know gun control doesn’t lower crime rates. They understand that criminals don’t obey gun laws and they’re smart enough to put the dots together and see that every single one of the mass shootings we’ve had from Columbine on has occurred in a “gun free zone”.

The media by and large is nothing more than the propaganda corps of the culture war, and I must say they’re doing a smashing job.
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

The level of mistakes made concerning firearms and the RKBA are so aggregious that if directed towards a person or industry, there would be heads rolling. Willful ignorance and refusal to actually look into the subject comes to mind in these circumastances.

Then you get actions like those of NBC, who spliced footage of an AK being fired with a cinderblock being destroyed by a hunting rifle. The result was a "test" showing the awesome power of the AK. That's intentional fraud, but nothing came of it.

I read recently that in a survey of TV reporters/anchors, anti-gun people outnumber pro-gun people something like 15 to 1. I would not expect that to change. Rather, I would expect most reporters to remain completely ignorant about guns and gun issues. They are totally mystified by the passage of "shall issue" CCW laws and the failure to re-enact the assault weapon ban, and continually portray gun owners as wackos.

I hate to say it, but after the election, I have pretty much given up on TV news. Maybe weather, but that's it.
    --Kol Tuv (All the best!) - Stu

"We are the ones we've been waiting for." --BHO
    "Get the hell out of my way!" --John Galt in Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Good Morning America did a story this morning on the Somalian pirates hijacking the supertankers
    While listening to NPR this morning I had a good laugh over this whole pirates thing and the way the media is handling it.

A quick summary from the NPR page... (emphasis added by me)
    A former British army pilot recently launched a business called Anti-Piracy Maritime Security Solutions. For $30,000, Nick Davis will arrange a team of three private guards to travel on a boat, and scare away potential pirates. He has teams right now on seven ships in the Gulf of Aden. Davis tells Steve Inskeep that the guards do it all without guns.
    At one point the interviewer (Inskeep) asked Davis what his men would do if the pirates did board in spite of their "non-lethal" tactics. Davis' response "it's never happened". and that was it, no follow up at all to such a stupid answer.

Later Inskeep (to his credit) asked "Do you think that lethal tactics have a place in this situation?"

(I SWEAR you could practically hear a voice inside Davis' head saying "What are you kidding, if we kill the pirates we'd be out of a job!")

Davis said something to the effect of "our men are highly trained so that we don't need guns"...and AGAIN Inskeep failed to follow up on it.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

The media IS NOT in the business of 'getting it' nor are they in the 'news' business.

They are ENTERTAINMENT and in the RATINGS business so they can sell ads.
    <-------------------------------->

If we kill the pirates - who the hell's gonna know? Silly sod

Edit: Speaking totally theoretically, of course
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

I hate to say it, but after the election, I have pretty much given up on TV news. Maybe weather, but that's it.
    This is the key.
    Remember that we're still in the internet's adolescence.
    Think about what the internet has done to newspapers and periodicals - think about how Dan Rather couldn't get away with foisting forged documents on the nation like he would have just five years prior.

Every time the internet does something, it stabs a non-internet interest in a vital organ. Think about Craigslist, or iTunes. Non-internet interests either adapt or die.

Then think about how all analog broadcast television is getting shut down in three months.... then think about jumpTV....

...think about how many people read Al Jazeera online for a balanced viewpoint...

...a smart, wealthy man would start a truly balanced and investigative internet broadcast news service right now. In five years, we'll have a new media king.

And it'll be on a channel that is developed, maintained, and guarded by people with a better understanding of liberty than is generally found at FOX or CNN.
    Don't blame me, I voted for Ron Paul!

The Land of Northern Hospitality and Southern Efficiency
    The media does, they just choose not to.
    Move along move along. Nothing to see here.

They get it ... but it's counter to their agenda so they just ignore it.

Pirates ... put a media talking head on a ship that is under attack and/or ultimately taken and the "personality" is held for ransom ... think the media line will be the same ... I don't.

And that bit about "highly trained men" not needing arms to protect the ship ... yeah right ... might work with a couple ding dongs in a leaky row boat but not with they guys that are a little further up the pirate skills chain.

Spray a guy with a fire hose that has an RPG and as soon as the water quits flying something will be coming back their way and it won't be water. Flying kung fu, double leaping lizard kick toward the groin of a guy w/ a AK 47 might slow that guy down, but the other guys will just shoot the crap out of "Mr. Unarmed Protector". Hey $30,000 per trip ... 3 guys, less expenses and profit margin for the "owner" ... those guys are bigger fools than you might at first think they are, and of course the shipping company is going to get exactly what they paid for ... not much!!!
    The ONLY thing certain in life is DEATH. Live each day to its' FULLEST!

I am tentatively inclined to disagree with most of the opinions expressed above. It is true that much of "the media" doesn't "get it" because either they don't want to get it, or their bosses don't want the particular outlet to "get it." However, a late friend was an investigative journalist and later a professor of journalism. In my own life, I encounter "journalists" on a professional basis from time to time.

By and large, they are some of the dummest people you could possibly imagine. There are exceptions, of course -- but the rank-and-file of what gets passed off today as "journalists" are so dumb that comparing them to a post is doing an injustice to the post. Most of the "reporters" who write for newspapers today can't even spell or string together words into more-or-less grammatically correct sentences. The "articles" on CNN or AT&T news sites are rife with incomprehensible errors, or both fact and grammar.

No, I don't believe that the media is capable of "getting it" at all.

Most antis DO NOT WANT the people to be independent nor self sufficient, they want people to be members of disparate groups they can pit against one another and completely dependent on "our betters" for our sustenance, security and happiness.
    Come on...Maybe it is easier for you to believe that because it means you don't need to spend any time really disputing their points, but that's not the way to promote the right to keep and bear arms.

Most gun control advocates believe they are doing the right thing. They want to protect people, just like we do. It is certainly idealistic, and I believe impossible, but they don't want the pirates to have guns either.

You only weaken our side of the debate when you write things that are clearly just meant to insult and degrade our fellow Americans who happen to hold a different view than you and me.

By and large, they are some of the dummest people you could possibly imagine.

heh heh.

Hmm...Which smiley to use??

The media has the ability to "get it" because the media is made up of people. Some already do get it. Some might get it in the future. Some might never. The media also includes your local newspapers, local television stations etc. It is not just CNN and FOX news.

Maybe I should start watching the news, this is the first I have heard of this

Okay, likely I'm naive, but I'm also one who truly thinks the media and similar anti's don't get and don't understand the fact that it doesn't matter how many gun laws are passed, criminal-oriented behaviors won't change. I truly believe most believe strongly in the innate goodness of their fellow men and that they believe that no one would choose to do something criminal if their circumstances didn't force them to (as opposed to doing something criminal just because it was the easy way). I also am naive enough to think that the anti's actions are truly either because of the aforementioned belief or simply because of irrational fear of guns and I don't believe that they are motivated only to cynically gain control of the populace.

I also still have hope for the appearance of the Great Pumpkin.
    "In survival, you seize the high ground and set up a machine gun nest." Hardware on THR.us 1/7/10

The media, "Get it"? Come on, you have to be kidding, right? You should just wait for the police, I mean Navy, to show up, they will protect you at all times. Only they are qualified to use guns for protection.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

NRA First Steps Instructor
    Minnesota Carry Permit Instructor

I am intrigued by the gun-free pirate repulsion crews. I wonder how they *do* whatever it is they do.

- I wonder if real-looking guns are employed as a scare tactic
    - Do they use blanks or some sort of noisemakers? (Still within the letter of "no guns" I guess ...)

It sounds *interesting* even if I share the skepticism about whether this is a good idea

Ten or so years ago, brother worked on a ship carrying liquid natural gas through some waters where pirate attacks were a known danger; my recollection is that the ship (not sure of flagging country) *did* have guns aboard to repel them, but I'll have to check with him to refresh my memory.

timothy

I can remember hearing Edward R Murrow on the radio or watching "America's most trusted journalist," Walter Cronkite on television. I really miss true journalists and get very annoyed with the news announcers trying to entertain me.

I can remember hearing Edward R Murrow on the radio or watching "America's most trusted journalist," Walter Cronkite on television. I really miss true journalists and get very annoyed with the news announcers trying to entertain me.
    Ed, and particularly Walter, were to the left.
    I much more enjoyed Chet Huntley, a Montana guy who was fairly conservative, and David Brinkley from North Carolina who was just about dead center,perhaps a little to the left.
    But all 4 were miles ahead of the current mediocre herd,talent wise.
    Eric Sevareid was another real journalist with fine insights and great writing skills.

You can't get it if you don't want it.

The KGB began funding and influencing American journalism schools in the late 1950s, according to the records that came out of Russia in the '90s.

Although the KGB is gone their gift to America keeps right on giving.

Once you have taught the teachers you don't need to worry about what the students learn.
    "Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect."
    -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca
    By and large, they are some of the dummest people you could possibly imagine. ...

No, I don't believe that the media is capable of "getting it" at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermont
    The media has the ability to "get it" because the media is made up of people. Some already do get it. Some might get it in the future. Some might never. The media also includes your local newspapers, local television stations etc. It is not just CNN and FOX news.
    My opinion is based on knowing and having interacted professionally with "journalists."

What's your opinion based on?

This is one pussy-assed world we're living in if third world incompetents from a backwater hellhole in Africa are allowed to pose even the slightest threat to the shipping vessels of civilized nations. One hundred years ago, there would not have been the slightest question of whether or not it was appropriate to fire on the pirates with every ounce of lead onboard. Nowadays, in today's tolerant, enlightened world, we have to worry about the pirates' feelings, don't you know. It's just not enlightened and tolerant to shoot at them with bad nasty scary guns. We should just bend over and let them have their way.

What a joke. This is no longer a man's world anymore. The only value that is glorified anymore is a weepy tolerance for losers.
    ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ ПOНК РОК ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

The media will NEVER "get it." They think Barack Obama should be in the White House, so no, I doubt they'll ever "get it."
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.".......John F. Kennedy