Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you guys have guns jam on you?

How often do you guys have guns jam on you?

I decided to treat myself to a range trip yesterday. I took my Inox Beretta M92FS. She's an old girl, manufactured in Italy way back in 1994, but still looks and works like new. Never had a jam with it. Ever. Even when filthy.

So I put 100 rounds through the Beretta, which was pulling duty as a car gun at the time, and had thus been exposed to the Florida heat for a good two months or so without any cleaning or oiling. Not one problem. The only thing that happened was that the slide failed to lock back on empty twice, but that might have been either a mag issue, or me riding the slide release when shooting (I'm used to high thumbs on a 1911). I finished my 100 rounds with a smile.

Soooo.... Seeing how variety is the spice of life, I decided to rent a gun and try it out. I bought another 100 rounds, and I decided on a Glock 19 since I'm thinking of buying one. I *attempted* to put a magazine's worth of ammo through it. Third round, the slide didn't close all the way. Tapped the slide to fix. 4th round, stovepipe. Tap rack and bang. 6th round, stovepipe again... 8th round, failure to extract. 9th round, failure to extract. Fired a couple more rounds, and then it jammed again. That's when I decided to put it away as it was starting to make me uneasy. I went downstairs and explained to the guy at the counter what was happening, and I asked for a Sig P226 instead. I had alot less problems with it, but still managed to get two stove pipes and a couple of other jams (like 6 total) within about 90 rounds or so. No big deal, I used it as an opportunity to practice malfunction drills, but still I was surprised.

I've been shooting guns for a while now, but I have never *ever* seen a Glock or a Sig jam like that. So my question is this. How often do you have rental guns, or any guns for that matter, jam up on you? Have you ever run your guns dry or dirty for an extended amount of time, and if so, do you think that's what caused it, or do you think it was something on my end? I dunno, but I walked out of there with a bit of doubt regarding Sigs and Glocks... two guns that I absolutely love. Fluke? Or more common that most people admit?

What do you guys think?
    Some people like seven grain bread . . . I like 230 grain lead.

I've never had a gun jam on me. I've put about 500 rounds through my AR and 800 rounds through my CZ-75B. That's not many rounds, but if you read some of the discussions on this website you'd think some peoples' guns jammed every trip to the range.

The only gun I ever had jam on me was my AR-15, but that was because it was new, I was new to ARs, and it wasn't properly lubed.

I don't even think I've ever had a stovepipe or anything. Just lucky I guess.
    NRA Life Member
    1. The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a
    firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for
    traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

Any gun will jam eventually. It's just a matter of how many rounds it will take.
    Eloi-- Tastes Like Chicken

I don't know about your range, but the only rental range around here cleans the guns...never. Of course you're going to have a much higher chance of malfunctions if the thing hasn't been cleaned in a few years. As for other guns:

Kimber Pro Carry - lots of malfunctions. Been to factory 3 times, finally runs right most of the time.
    Ruger MkII - sometimes spent casings get stuck in the chamber, but only when using Wolf Match Target ammo (the kind with the lubricant all over the projectile - no mystery there).
    Glock 22 2nd gen - one jam, failure to feed.
    Marlin 60 - constant jams. Can't go more than 5 rounds without some type of malfunction. This is with three separate guns of the same model.

Guns that have lots of rounds through them that have never jammed on me:
    HK USP
    FN P9M
    Glock 22 3rd gen
    Witness Elite Match
    M&P 15
    SAR1
    Yugo SKS
    Ruger Redhawk
    S&W 642

Both of those guns should have never jammed. I am willing to bet the jams were caused from the weapons never being cleaned.
    I walk where the Devil dances. Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum (If you want peace prepare for war) Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight. Psalms 144:1 Proud holder of a Texas open carry permit.

My xd40 whenever I use hollow points, polished the slide and never had a problem with it.

+1 LiquidTension

My local range's management guideline states that, at closing time, they are supposed to clean any rental gun that was used that day. However, they're busy folks, and they rarely actually get cleaned. What usually happens is they take all the rentals and clean them once a month.

Marlin 60 - constant jams. Can't go more than 5 rounds without some type of malfunction. This is with three separate guns of the same model.
    I have the same issue . . . if I use standard velocity rounds. Marlin recommends high velocity rounds to provide enough energy to adequately cycle the bolt.
    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire
    "Well, the Constitution has not yet been pregnant." - Gore Vidal
    "Freedom is terrifying to dependent personalities and their masters." - Standing Wolf

I once had a Browning Buckmark camper .22 that jammed very frequently. It was always the same issue though, the screw on the back of the slide worked its way loose. Sold it in desperation but now I'm thinking some loctite might have helped.

I almost never have jams with any of the guns I own. I also keep those guns clean, oiled, and I use quality mags, which I do not drop on their feedlips. Change any of these factors and results might differ. I would say that for any of my semiauto pistols, I expect less than 1 jam (usually a stovepipe or double feed) per 1000rds fired. I am not counting jams where the magazine wasn't fully inserted and latched, since that is user error and a jam is almost certain when the magazine is out of position.

I think that it was because they were dirty. On the Sig P226, when I fired it, I could literally *feel* the slide moving. Kinda hard to explain it, I mean obviously you can feel the slide (recoil, duh), but what I mean is that there was this kind of crunchy sensation when the slide was moving. Sometimes it would move slow enough for me to perceive it, so I take it that these guns probably had not been cleaned in a very very long time. The again though, the cynic in me asks, aren't these the same guns we see in magazine and online being put through these ridiculous 10,000 round torture tests without cleaning, etc?
    Some people like seven grain bread . . . I like 230 grain lead.

Not often enough to really think about it. Dirty or clean, it doesn't matter. Pull the trigger, they shoot.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

My Springfield 1911 jams at a rate of about 5%. It's the only gun I have that I wouldn't think of carrying. I think I've finally narrowed it down to the ejection port needing to be lowered.

I've had a few jams/stovepipes on my Galil but that's fixed now, never had any jams on my H&K USP .45 or my VZ58, I've had the USP since 2006 and i've limpwristed, shot it dirty, no problems.
    Gun Control Unconstitutional Chat room

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=259260

Every auto I've ever own has jammed at least once, all except the G27 I carry. I'm not saying Glock is the end all, but it's the only auto I've ever owned that didn't jam.
    "Guns are swell" - me

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    Used to have some in my 1911 when it started to get dirty but when you think of the thousands of rounds through it it is minuscule. Mostly because I am a fanatic about keeping it clean and lately I had the port lowered a wee bit because I was denting some of my brass. The only jams I get now are on my 10-22. Match barrel and it doesn't like lead or waxy lubed bullets. Same issue with my S&W M41 but it isn't as severe a problem and a lot easier to clear. Since I used that gun for everything from heavy duty competition to rabbit hunting to just fun plinking I don't want to even think about how many rounds it has gone through, jam rate is low unless the gun is dirty and I'm using ammo that it doesn't like. Only had M1 jam once, (wind blowing at Black Canyon Range in AZ and a lot of guns were jamming that day). Only jammed shotgun once. Grabbed wrong box when I went outside after a coyote poking around the pig barn. Stuffed a 3" shell into a 2 3/4" gun. Fired fine but couldn't eject. Fortunately I didn't have to shoot again. Them critters are fast when they are motivated.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

What's a jam?

Bob, I've had a Ruger GP100 jam up tight on me - took 5 minutes to free the cylinder. I was using commercial ammo well within SAAMI pressure (the ammo was either Remington or Winchester) and the gun was clean except for having fired a few dozen rounds. That experience pretty much destroyed, for me, the idea that a revolver is 100% reliable. Oh, I'm not aware of any mechanical issue with the gun either, I've used it lots since then with no issues. It seems that revolvers can randomly jam if a tiny bit of sand gets in just the right spot.

My post was tongue-in-cheek. Any mechanical object made by man can have a problem

Except for S&W revolvers, of course

Revolver Guy

Once. In a revolver, after about 12,000 rounds through it, half of those being rather hot loads. There was an internal failure (part of the frame, one of the bosses, actually broke) and it would only fire in DA mode...sent it back and Smith replaced the frame on my 686P for free. So, once.

I don't own any semiautos.
    Last edited by rc135; November 20th, 2008 at 11:17 PM.

Gun jams I've had all come down to
    -Me screwing up with a reload
    -Dirt, debris, and other environmental gremlins.
    -Lubrication issues (too much, too little, too thick when it's cold)

Oh, discounting .22LR of course. They just jam or misfire whenever they feel like it <grin>.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

How often do you guys have guns jam on you?
    Quite often, especially 22's.

Some guns almost never jam.
    Some jam often. These aren't used as defense guns.

All guns will jam at some time,
    some guns will jam all the time.
    If you have never had a gun jam,
    It's just cause you aren't shooting enough.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
    Robert A. Heinlein

My own FN-P9 is pretty new, and has never FT-anything in 1,500 or so rounds. Our Ruger 10/22 has been bullet-proof (so to speak), too, although it is now 36 years old.

I rented a Sig P229 at Wade's one time, though, that was a jam-o-matic. In two magazines I think I fired only five or six rounds without some kind of jam, stovepipe, or FTF. I assume the gun was dirty. There seems to always be an employee cleaning a gun at Wade's, but their range is really busy, and a large fraction of their customers are rental customers.
    "The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired." Washington State Constitution

What's a jam?
    I've personally seen S&W, Taurus, and Ruger revolvers all jam up on occasion...spring failures/light crimpings on the Smith, and soft cylinder pawl material on the Taurus. When a wheelgun stops turning, you're pretty much screwed.

The again though, the cynic in me asks, aren't these the same guns we see in magazine and online being put through these ridiculous 10,000 round torture tests without cleaning, etc?
    I'm not sure I've yet seen or heard of a magazine that did a torture test that could even begin to come close to what a bunch of random yahoos do to a rental gun. I've seen people bang the weapon against the wall to get the slide to go forward when locked open on an empty mag. I've seen more cylinder spinning and snapping than I could count. Short of using them as hackysacks in Afghanistan, I'm don't believe that one could deliberately abuse them any worse than they already are.
    "Training errors are recorded on paper. Tactical errors are etched in stone." -Erwin Rommel
    Explanations exist: they have existed for all times, for there is always an easy solution to every problem neat, plausible and wrong. - H.L. Mencken