Thread: Makarov Ammo?

Makarov Ammo?

What's the best deal for 9x18 Mak ammo? Just bought a CZ 82 and need to stock up. Silver Bear, Wolf? They seem cheap for range ammo. Sellier is a bit more pricey, but their stuff is good.

I like the Silver Bear .... never given me any problems and is a good value. S&B may be better, but having used both ... my cut on the performance difference is "not so you would notice".

Wolf is Wolf ... almost always goes bang, dirty as all get out, but good plinkin stuff.

The ONLY thing certain in life is DEATH. Live each day to its' FULLEST!

I don't believe I've seen any bad 9x18 ammo, except 120gr Silver Bear,but that hasn't been available for years.

Just buy the cheapest you can find.

If you happen to run acrosse any 120gr SB don't buy it for defense ammo, it will jam because of the poorly made HP.
    This is a simple of rounds taken from one box. I've gone through a lot of 120gr SB and every box is like this.
    SB seemed to get better with the 115gr bullets.

Last edited by M2 Carbine; November 22nd, 2008 at 12:21 PM.

Never ran across any 120 Silver Bear, but as I think the bullet weight is to much I'm not surprised about poor performance.

Have you ever tried any other 120gr ammo. Me I've never ran across any mfg. at that weight.

The ONLY thing certain in life is DEATH. Live each day to its' FULLEST!

The problem didn't have anything to do with the weight.
    The quality control was terrible on manufacturing the 120gr hollow point. SB got better with the 115gr HP.
    The rounds jammed in the magazines and on the feed ramp.

I ran a couple thousand through my reloading press, setting the bullet a little deeper and they work fine. I still have about a case of 120gr SB.

I use 21 pound recoil springs in all my Makarovs, even the .380.

I don't carry a Makarov, but if I did I'd have it loaded with the 120gr SB or a hot reload (Hornady XTP bullet at 1,125 FPS).
    I wouldn't use either load in my CZ83.

Wolf works fine in my 82, not one failure. It tends to be the cheapest I can find.

Right here's some brown and silver bear. Cheaper than Wolf even! Bought some Silver, Wolf, and S&B.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...karov-fmj-ammo

Probably the best thing about S&B is they're reloadable. Loading for the Mak stretches the dollar pretty far, especially with hardcast lead bullets. But if you don't like chasing the shiney things, just get the steel Wolf or Bear.
    The worst things happen at the most critical times, and it's these moments that YOU need to be flawless, not the gun.

Years of Communist oppression have made the Mosin Nagant impervious to physical damage.

Mak 9X18

I used to buy some Chinese-made 9X18 that would rock the house. It was ball ammo, but it made my Makarov a real weapon... I just can't for the life of me remember the manufacturer name... Norinco, I think.

I shoot 9x18 in my Mak and FEG PA-63, and the Norinco is the best ammo I've run across. It cycled every time, didn't hang up at all, and every shot went "boom". The hollow points I tried from other manufacturers seemed to hang up in the chute, but the Norinco ammo fed just fine in all my guns.

I don't know that it was any more or less expensive than any other 9x18 out there, but it was GOOD ammo.

If you want a regular supplier of 9X18, try Georgia Arms. I shoot tons of their stuff, and it's reliable. They make some gold dot ammo that rocks too...
    http://georgia-arms.com/index.aspx
    They will trade brass with you too, if you see them at the gun show, so if you keep your brass, they'll give you credit for what you collect toward your ammo purchase. If you're in another area of the country, they will ship to you.
    WT
    "What man is a man that does not make the world a better place?"... from "Kingdom of Heaven"
    True patriots feel that there is no problem in our Republic that cannot be solved by election, windage and elevation, or superior firepower.

I shot my "new" P-64 yesterday and went through a box of Brown Bear 95gr FMJ without incident.

Thanks for the link to Ammunition To Go! They've got some great deals and I think I will be buying 9mm Makarov from them in the future(since no-one local seems to stock any).

Here, this should be a link for a variety of prices for Makarov:
    http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=9x18%20(Makarov))
    -the site is an interesting comparison of how many online retailers prices their ammo

Back when I bought it, I seem to recall getting a good deal on Bernaul, it was $8.50 for a box of 50. Of course, that was a couple of months ago.
    "All European cows are registered Europe-wide, so why not guns, if it can save lives? Civil liberties can be sacrificed if we can prevent people from being killed." -member of the European Parliament
    <<<- If that doesn't scare you, nothing will.

The Land of Northern Hospitality and Southern Efficiency
    My Commie Guns get Commie Ammo. The Silver Bear stuff works fine, as does the Wolf stuff.

All is dirty, all is good.
    Move along move along. Nothing to see here.