Thread: Anybody got sales numbers?

Anybody got sales numbers?

I'm trying to find out the following numbers for each of the major manufacturers. I figure somebody out there owns enough stock in some of them to know without having to bug their CS people. I'm looking for overall sales totals to U.S. customers from inception of the company.

Total number of firearms sold by type. (Rifle, shotgun, handgun)
    Total number of .22 rimfires sold by type. (Rifle, handgun)
    Most popular .22 rimfire of each type and total sales. (rifle, handgun)

There are a couple of locals who just can't believe that there are "hundreds" of .22s in a Texas farming county of about 30,000 people. I'd be willing to bet that, not only is the average higher, but that this county is well above average. (We're somewhat above the state average on CHLs, so I'd bet we've got a lot more plinkers and bunny guns, too.)

There are a couple of locals who just can't believe that there are "hundreds" of .22s in a Texas farming county of about 30,000 people.
    Hundreds?
    Probably more like thousands.

I don't even know anyone that doesn't own guns.

Hundreds?
    Probably more like thousands.
    That would be my guess too; about 1 in 30 adults here has a CHL, and the only gun owners I know of that don't own at least one .22 are the ones who only have granddad's old .38S&W revolver stashed away in the attic.

I don't even know anyone that doesn't own guns.
    We've got a few, but having done a lot of in-home service calls and inspections in the area, the number of Marlin 60s and Winchester 75s leaning up by the back doors or hanging over the doorways on orange utility hooks around here surprised even me for a while...after all, growing up we kept shotguns by the door

Total number of firearms sold by type. (Rifle, shotgun, handgun)
    There is a website but cannot locate it, official DOJ(?) sales numbers over the last several years broken down fairly well. I'll keep looking for it.

Here is one small example of sales post election by Classic Arms.

THERE ARE SOME IMPORTANT THINGS GOING ON IN THE INDUSTRY. I KNOW THE FOLLOWING IS WORDY BUT READING IT MAY HELP YOU DECIDE WHETHER TO BUY NOW.

OKAY - HERE IS THE DEAL

LAST WEEK WE SOLD OUT VIRTUALLY TO THE BARE WALLS. WE HAD A TON OF INVENTORY LAID IN AND STOCKPILED IN ANTICIPATION OF THE PANIC BUYING THAT WOULD BE CREATED BY THE ELECTION. IT SIMPLY WAS NOT ENOUGH. IF IT SHOOTS OR HOLDS ROUNDS OF AMMO IT PRETTY MUCH LEFT HERE LAST WEEK.
    I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT.

AROUND WEDNESDAY OF LAST WEEK WE CHANGED OUR FOCUS FROM SELLING, TO TRYING TO BEG, BUY AND SCROUNGE ANYTHING WE COULD PURCHASE. IT WAS VERY DIFFICULT. MOST OF THE INDUSTRY IS EITHER OUT OF SEMI-AUTO FIREARMS, MAGS, AND AMMO, OR THEY HAVE PUSHED THE PRICE WAY UP IN ORDER TO SLOW SALES AND KEEP FROM BEING WHERE WE BASICALLY ARE NOW. SOLD OUT TO THE BARE WALLS. THE LARGEST IMPORTER IN THE COUNTRY AS OF LAST MONDAY HAS SUSPENDED SALES OF ALL OF THEIR HI-CAPACITY MAGAZINES AND RAISED PRICES ON ENTIRE CLASSES OF FIREARMS BY 25% TO 40% ACROSS THE BOARD. THE PRICE INCREASE IS REALLY IRREVALENT HOWEVER AS THEY HAVE NO AVAILABLE QUANTITIES ON ANY OF THESE FIREARMS.

LET ME GIVE YOU SOME PERSPECTIVE.
    IN THE THIRD QUARTER OF THIS YEAR, ( JULY THRU OCTOBER )
    WE SOLD THE FOLLOWING
    7.62X39 AMMO................361 CASES
    AK 30 RD MAGS.....................................783
    AK RIFLES (ALL TYPES ) .........................243

BY COMPARISON, IN THE 10 DAYS SINCE THE ELECTION WE HAVE SOLD

7.62X39 AMMO................1218 CASES
    AK 30 RD MAGS.....................................3855
    AK RIFLES (ALL TYPES ) .........................572
    THAT IS IN ADDITION TO THE AR RIFLES, GOLANI RIFLES, TANTALS, AND OTHER FIREARMS THAT HAVE ALSO SOLD LIKE WILDFIRE.
    SOME OF OUR LARGER DEALER CUSTOMERS HAVE BEEN ATTEMPTING TO PLACE ORDERS FOR HUNDREDS OF FIREARMS WITH US WHEN WE ONLY HAD DOZENS IN STOCK.

WE ARE VERY SMALL AND THESE ARE HUGE NUMBERS FOR US. WE WOULD HAVE SOLD MORE TOO EXCEPT WE SIMPLY COULD NOT ANSWER ALL THE CALLS, AND THEN WE SOLD OUT.

THE GOOD NEWS IS WE HAVE HAD SOME SUCCESS IN BUYING. WE PURCHASED PRODUCT ANYWHERE WE COULD FIND IT WITHOUT MUCH REGARD FOR THE PRICE. IT WAS ALL WE KNEW TO DO. IT WAS EITHER THAT OR BE SOLD OUT AND CLOSE THE DOORS.

WE ARE POSTING BELOW THE THINGS THAT WE HAVE AVAILABLE FOR SALE. SOME OTHER ITEMS WILL BE COMING ON BOARD OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS AND WE WILL POST THEM UP AS THEY ARRIVE. THE PRICES ARE HIGHER . I CAN'T APOLIGIZE FOR THAT. IN MOST CASES WE ARE PAYING MORE AND MAKING LESS. IF YOU NEED THESE ITEMS AND CAN FIND THEM FOR LESS ELSEWHERE, I ENCOURAGE YOU TO GET THEM.

I HOPE AGAINST HOPE THAT THIS MARKET WILL LEVEL BACK OUT SOON, BUT WITH BANS AND RESTCTIONS BEING ONE OF THE PRIMARY STATED GOALS OF THIS NEW ADMINISTRATIONS I JUST DON'T SEE IT HAPPENING.

Publicly traded companies like S&W and ruger will have their data available online.

Manufacturers have to file a rport annually with the ATF that includes a breakdown on the manufacturing numbers. The ATF publishes this data and you should be able to track it down with some leg work.
    Every social movement (*snip*) that tries to break the bonds of mindless convention and tradition and that defies established privilege gets accused of being rude and worse, much worse, and there are always weak apologists for the status quo who use that pathetic etiquette excuse to try and silence the revolutionaries. Successful revolutionaries ignore the admonitions about which fork to use for their salad because they care only to grab the steak knife as they launch themselves over the table. -- Richard Dawkins

I'm trying to find out the following numbers for each of the major manufacturers. I figure somebody out there owns enough stock in some of them to know without having to bug their CS people. I'm looking for overall sales totals to U.S. customers from inception of the company.
    Two stage process:

Look at Kleck's Targeting Guns, Chapter 3, table 3.1

BATF accumulated the data 1899-1994. They suggest there were, by 1994, ~84.6 million handguns and ~151 million long guns.

Now go to http://www.atf.gov/firearms/stats/ and download the Annual Firearms Manufacturers And Export Reports (.PDF) at the links. There's a gap between 1994 and 1998, and they stop at 2006 so far, but these reports do break out production by manufacturer.

Plug that into Excel, let it fill in the missing data, and you'll get something like 300 million firearms in 'civilian' hands.
    Teach a man to fish ....

California law - Penal Code
    Federal firearms law - U S Code, Title 18
    FBI Uniform Crime Reports
    CDC WISQARS - Death and Injury statistics.

"You could look it up."

That's the site!