Thread: Need VA gun law primer

Need VA gun law primer

Hey guys,

I am up for orders and might be moving to VA (Hampton Roads area). I need a quick primer on gun laws in VA, and any sticking points I might hit.

Thanks.

Jamie
    Difference between a Mall Ninja and a cop:

Example:
    -When a mall security guard refers to a shoplifter he'll use some official sounding word like "perpetrator" (e.g. I then pursued the perpetrator in a north by northwesterly direction.)

-When a cop refers to a shoplifter he'll use an industry term such as "that stupid bastard" (e.g. I had to chase that stupid bastard through the parking lot.)

Credit to MASTEROFMALICE

1. Join the VCDL
    2. Go to handgunlaw.us

Open carry is legal.
    You can have a loaded gun in a car IF it is on the seat, on the dash or openly carried on your person.
    You can open carry in a place that serves alcohol but you can NOT carry concealed in there even with a CCW permit.
    Join the VCDL.
    Speedy, AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy" NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV
    I don't have NEAR enough ammo!

New Developments: Need somebody in the Navy, preferably somebody that is employed at CNATTU Norfolk, to PM me. I have a couple of questions.

Example:
    -When a mall security guard refers to a shoplifter he'll use some official sounding word like "perpetrator" (e.g. I then pursued the perpetrator in a north by northwesterly direction.)

-When a cop refers to a shoplifter he'll use an industry term such as "that stupid bastard" (e.g. I had to chase that stupid bastard through the parking lot.)

Credit to MASTEROFMALICE

Shall issue state for concealed handgun permits.

Open carry is legal statewide (however, you will be harassed by LEO's in major urban areas such as Norfolk/VA Beach and NOVA).

Concealed carry not allowed in restaurants/bars that sell alcohol, but open carry is permitted.

No guns allowed in courthouses, schools, airport terminals, churches, and posted private property.

Carrying a loaded firearm with more than 20 rounds of ammo in a public place is specifically prohibited in the following localities: Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, and Virginia Beach. Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, and Prince William.

Carrying a loaded firearm with more than 20 rounds of ammo in a public place is specifically prohibited in the following localities: Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, and Virginia Beach. Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, and Prince William.
    Does that include carried mags?

timothy

Here's some more info for you that should help.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

This site is not bad.

Hope that's helpful.

regards,

GR

If You Want It...

...in book form, consider Bloomfield Press's The Virginia Gun Owner's Guide.

Get 'The Virginia Gun Owner's Guide.'

ALL Virginia deadly force law is case law.

There is NO statute law to read about how and when you may use deadly force.

And by the way, join the VCDL.
    Even if you don't join, you can spend the time before you move here getting wise to what's going on in the commonwealth by reading their e-mail alerts.

There are a couple alerts a week at this point - one big one with news, stories, and events, and a couple smaller ones with almost up-to-the-hour updates on what's going on.
    Don't blame me, I voted for Ron Paul!

Does that include carried mags?
    Here's the entire statute. It makes no mention of magazines, only guns.

18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The exemptions set forth in 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.

Any good places to live that wont break the bank? I am going to have to commute to Norfolk NS if this happens. What is rent like in that area for a 3 bedroom?

Example:

Credit to MASTEROFMALICE

Can't help you with the housing question. But with the housing market in a shambles, now's a good time to buy a house or townhouse if you're going to be here for a while.

Any good places to live that wont break the bank? I am going to have to commute to Norfolk NS if this happens. What is rent like in that area for a 3 bedroom?

This site may help get you started.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/apa/

I wouldn't recommend buying a house being in the military. If he gets deployed unexpectedly he'd have to try and sell the sucker, and with this economy...good luck with that.

Rent.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: (1) the free; and (2) food animals.

-Aristodemus

I guess I am really looking for any information on the area that I can get right now. I hate not knowing where I am going, but at least I can research all the major possibilities beforehand.

Example:

Credit to MASTEROFMALICE