Thread: MecGar Mags for Sigs

MecGar Mags for Sigs

I am considering some 13 round (40 S&W) MecGar mags for my 226. Does anyone know if they work OK?

My 226 and 228/229 9mms are work fine.

MecGar is the OEM supplier for Sig mags. The primary differences between MecGar- and Sig-branded mags is that MecGar mags are about half the price of Sig mags and typically hold 2 more rounds due to a different follower design.

Agreed with gc70. He is correct. Mec-Gar mags are the shizzle, for less wallet sizzle. Yo.
    Let's all stand together, so we won't have to stand apart later on.

Freedom is worth the price. Count the cost.

yes they work great

i have 3 mec-gar mags for my sig 228 and they work great. plus the extra 2 rounds is nice.
    "A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to, and including my life."

That is honor and courage.

I like Mec-Gar mags for everything except 1911s...
    Proud to be a veteran. (USAF retired)

When you lose your right to self-determination, through legislation or taxation, servitude is soon to follow - NGIB

I use only Mec-Gars in competition, and for carry. Is that testimony enough? They are also the OE for several manufacturers.

Another Mec-Gar fan weighing in. Answer is absolutely yes. Mec-Gar produces the best SIG and Beretta mags available. Superfluous editorial comment: The P-226 is also the best .40 S&W platform out there (just one man's opinion).
    Will

Everything I know about cops, their respect for the citizens of this country and its Constitution, as well as the state of policing in this country ... I learned from the Internet.

With the changes in the follower to make room for the extra rounds, is there anything given up in terms of reliability?

I don't know, but I have to get to the range to test the Mec-Gar 15-round mag for my 9mm P229R. I'm eager to find out if if the short follower does anything to the reliability. I kind of doubt it, though.
    Keyes-Palin 2012!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

With the changes in the follower to make room for the extra rounds, is there anything given up in terms of reliability?
    Never - at least not in my experience (consisting only of a half-dozen SIGs-- 3 228s, 2 226s in 9mm & .40 S&W, and a 220 --with about 30 Mec-Gar mags) ...
    Will

Everything I know about cops, their respect for the citizens of this country and its Constitution, as well as the state of policing in this country ... I learned from the Internet.

Mec-Gar works in my SIGs for .45 ACP, 357 SIG, and 9mm. Good you question the reputation of a mag manufacturer, since a mag is part of the operating sysem of an autoloader. SIGs aren't nearly as finicky as most 1911s, but a poorly made mag will turn a perfectly good SIG into a jamomatic.

Is there a problem with Mec Gars for 1911s?

I've got 'em for my 9mm 226 & 228, they work fine.
    The Second Amendment IS homeland security.
    Pacifism is a priviledge of the protected.
    Fast is fine, but accurate is final, the trick is learning how to take your time when you're in a hurry. - W. Earp

M2

Another positive for the Mec-Gars. The 17 rounders for my P226 9mm have always been reliable.
    God gave you a soul.
    Your parents, a body.
    Your country, a rifle.

Keep all of them clean.

This dilemma is all too familiar to me. I bought a P229 earlier in the year after taking a several year hiatus from Sig Sauer pistols and didn't know their mags were OEM from Mec-Gar. I was resolved to find the older German made dovetail back mags for my gun but that proved to be a bit futile. I wound up buying a few Mec-Gars and it's true - they are built sturdier and better than the originals, and they hold up and function beautifully.

For me, it was that 'Italian made magazine in a German designed and made pistol' idea that bothered me, but I've since forgotten about that lil' OCD moment of mine and moved on. Go with Mec-Gar; I don't think you will be disappointed.
    "The world has no room for cowards. We must all be ready somehow to toil, to suffer, to die. And yours is not the less noble because no drum beats before you when you go out into your daily battlefields, and no crowds shout about your coming when you return from your daily victory or defeat." -- Robert Louis Stevenson

Seven High asked
    Is there a problem with Mec Gars for 1911s?
    Good question. I picked up a couple at a gun show, just to try. They have been reliable so far, through a few hundred rounds, but I think that with the plethora of quality 1911 mags already out there, the Mec-Gars are going unnoticed. 1911 fans seem to be pretty particular anyway, and stick with what they know, so tough to say whether Mec-Gar will make any inroads into the 1911 community. Most of us 1911 guys stick with the Wilsons (although there are many Chip McCormick, Metalform, Wolffe and other fans out there).
    Will

I’ve heard about problems with the eight-round 1911 magazines, but my $15 seven rounders have been flawless so far.

~G. Fink
    “Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.”